Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-17-07, 09:30 AM   #1
mickey65
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Car insurance for visiting foreigners?

A friend of mine in Australia has a few friends coming out here soon for a road-trip from NY to LA, and instead of renting a car for that amount of time (which they feel would be too expensive), they just are willing to buy a used car for their trip.

But since they are not citizens and are just visiting for the road-trip, they are wondering what kind of car insurance to get - if they won't have a permanant address?

Anyone know? I don't!

Thanks!
Old 06-17-07, 09:40 AM   #2
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Probably not a bad idea. With a little careful shopping could about break even, as a few thousand miles on a car with already 50,000+ miles on it is not going to effect the resale value. Plus getting the daily insurance on a rental car is of the most outragously expensive things I have ever seen.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question. I'd just start calling and checking web sites. Surely something like this as come up before. Like when people send their kids over here for school, work visa's etc.

You know, they may want to start with their insurance company where they are at. Perhaps they can offer advise help.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-17-07, 09:46 AM   #3
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question. I'd just start calling and checking web sites. Surely something like this as come up before. Like when people send their kids over here for school, work visa's etc.
That's a different situation, because those people have permanent addresses. From what I hear, though, international students are charged unbelieveable rates because they have no U.S. credit history.

I'm sure, as long as they pay their entire premium up front, they'll be able to find something. The next question is which state's insurance laws will they need to meet?
Old 06-18-07, 01:35 AM   #4
Green Smurf
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would imagine the state they bought the car in. Most reputable places won't let you drive off the lot without insurance. (In wisconsin anyway)
Old 06-18-07, 08:34 AM   #5
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Smurf
I would imagine the state they bought the car in. Most reputable places won't let you drive off the lot without insurance. (In wisconsin anyway)
But they're not legal residents of that state. I'm sure there's some rule where they'll need to carry the maximum minimum of all states they expect to drive through or they'll base it on the location of the agent selling the insurance, or something like that.
Old 06-18-07, 03:36 PM   #6
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to go through a place like Geico or Progressive that doesn't require them to have a US DL. Most companies require it, but some of the smaller companies don't. You'd have to call around to a few insurance companies and ask who would insure them.
Old 06-18-07, 03:37 PM   #7
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by matta
But they're not legal residents of that state. I'm sure there's some rule where they'll need to carry the maximum minimum of all states they expect to drive through or they'll base it on the location of the agent selling the insurance, or something like that.
Yep, it's all based on the cpmpany insuring. In most cases they need a valid DL in the US but there are some exceptions.
Old 06-18-07, 03:44 PM   #8
Talkin2Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your friends should check out drive away options. Maybe they can get from LA to NY without buying a car.

http://www.autodriveaway.com/
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.