Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-27-07, 03:37 PM   #1
Shilex
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's wrong with my cat?

I was originally going to title this thread "What wrong with my pussy?", but decided against it since I actually do want some advice.

My cat's been meowing up a storm lately for what seems like no good reason. Still running around playing and doing what she normally does with no signs of distress (except when she's meowing it sounds like something is wrong). I've never had an indoor cat before, but it kinda seems like she's going into heat or something (but I had her spayed last year).

I also found some unknown liquid on the floor which I'm pretty sure came from her, but I'm not sure what cat piss smells like because she has NEVER ever used the bathroom anywhere other than litter box. Is it a strong pungent odor? Because what I wiped off the floor didn't have too much of an odor (not strong anyway) but it was a yellowish color. Not trying to gross anyone out, but any clue on what's going on with my pussy?
Bender: I meant Ass-Whiplash.
Old 05-27-07, 04:12 PM   #2
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any blood in the urine? How old is your cat?

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-27-07, 04:29 PM   #3
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reason #105564 why I don't own a cat: Not wanting to find "unknown liquid" on my floor.
Old 05-27-07, 04:29 PM   #4
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

i've never heard of female cats spraying while in heat. If she's urinating outside the box it could be a UTI. Female cat's urine isn't nearly as pungent as male's. You should take her to the vet and have her checked for UTI.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.
Irving Townsend
Old 05-27-07, 04:30 PM   #5
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock
Reason #105564 why I don't own a cat: Not wanting to find "unknown liquid" on my floor.
because dogs and kids don't shit/piss on the floor ever.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.
Irving Townsend
Old 05-27-07, 04:30 PM   #6
innocentfreak
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah cat piss should have a really strong odor to it. Once you smell it you will always recognize it. I would also try the petfinder.com forums and thecatsite.com forums. They might be able to better help you. I know when my male cat did that it turned out he was blocked and as a result would occasionally leak on the floor. It could definitely be something serious especially with all the bad canned food out there these days.
Old 05-28-07, 12:24 AM   #7
Shilex
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My cat's only about a year old. If she has a urinary tract infection would there be any other signs?
Old 05-28-07, 12:31 AM   #8
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilex
My cat's only about a year old. If she has a urinary tract infection would there be any other signs?
sometimes there can be blood in urine, but not necessarily. They can also pee in little puddles in random places, usually outside the litterbox.
If you bring her to the vet right away they'll give her a course of antibiotics and that'll take care of the infection.
Irving Townsend
Old 05-28-07, 12:31 AM   #9
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Yeah cat piss should have a really strong odor to it. Once you smell it you will always recognize it.
female cats urine doesn't smell nearly as strong as males.
Irving Townsend
Old 05-28-07, 11:25 AM   #10
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

What CK said. Sounds like a UI. What type of litter are you using and how clean do you keep the box? She may have gotten a bit of dust or sand in her urethra and that could be causing the pain although that's much more common in Toms than females.

Best of luck, hope your kitty is going to be ok.
Old 05-28-07, 12:13 PM   #11
tommy28
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think cats can still go in heat up to a year after being fixed.
Old 05-28-07, 03:58 PM   #12
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure that it wasn't vomit? My cats have thrown up some yellow type liquid before.
Old 05-28-07, 04:37 PM   #13
DarthVong
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-28-07, 06:38 PM   #14
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
because dogs and kids don't shit/piss on the floor ever.
Don't want a dog either, and if my kid shits or pisses on the floor, it's hardly an "unknown liquid".
Old 05-29-07, 06:52 AM   #15
brooke789

One of my cats did something like this everytime she was going into heat. We got her from PetSmart so she was supposed to be spayed (so she shouldn't go into heat). We talked to her vet about it and he said that maybe they left some sort of tissue inside of her that still produces hormones to make her go into heat. But there was no way to find out for sure. He'd have to do exploratory surgery to find out what was causing it and that might not even fix it. Of course we hated to do that to her, but finally she was going in for something else...so, we gave the doc the ok to go ahead and check it out. Turns out she was NEVER spayed at all...and for 3 years she was going into heat. We felt bad because we thought she was just being bad, but she couldn't help it.

Wii -- 0283 5694 5792 5772
Old 05-29-07, 03:08 PM   #16
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy28
I think cats can still go in heat up to a year after being fixed.
really? neither of my female cats ever did, they were both fixed when they were 6 months old.
Irving Townsend
Old 05-29-07, 03:55 PM   #17
jack999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
sometimes there can be blood in urine, but not necessarily. They can also pee in little puddles in random places, usually outside the litterbox.
If you bring her to the vet right away they'll give her a course of antibiotics and that'll take care of the infection.
If the cat is peeing a bunch of little pees all over the place, it probably is a UTI. Get thee to a vettery

Also, as far as taking a year for a spay to eliminate the hormones that cause going into heat. The spay removes the hormone producing organs and it should only take a month for the hormones already in the system to dissipate. I can't believe it would take a year.
Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a worn out coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend
www.teamfurr.org
Old 05-29-07, 11:52 PM   #18
Shilex
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really hate my carpet. I can't tell at all if she's been peeing on the carpet or not. I don't smell anything in my house, but maybe that's because I live here and I'm used to it. I haven't found anymore spots on the kitchen floor either. Guess I'll just wait a few more days and see what happens.
Old 05-30-07, 01:42 AM   #19
The Edit King
DVD Talk Hero

Shilex: Is she a siamese kitty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock
You're on a ROLL, culty!

There's nothing quite like going on a midnight pee run and feeling something cold and wet squishing in-between yer toes! (Aka: 'Hairball')
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking
Are you sure that it wasn't vomit? My cats have thrown up some yellow type liquid before.
Sgt. Pee-Pee would do that and leave little puddles like that on the kitchen floor when she either had a hairball that wasn't yet ready to come out, or something she ate that was bothering her stomach, and she'd MEOW A LOT, but after she finally coughed it up or somehow processed whatever it was that was troubling her tummy, she was okay and the constant Meows went away.

I did a search and found this. Maybe it'll help a little.

Excessive Meowing

Q: My cat just started meowing a lot. What does this mean?

Answer: Whenever there is a change in behavior such as you describe, we would suggest that you take your cat to your local veterinarian for a physical examination as he/she would be in the best position to determine whether or not there is a health problem causing the behavior.

If your cat is given a clean bill of health there are a couple of things to remember here. Cats meow at people when they want something. So the vocalizations your cat makes are designed to get some attention from you, or food, or playtime, whatever. Same thing goes for any kind of disturbance calculated to get your attention. Any kind of response other than ignoring your cat will actually reinforce the behavior. Just saying, 'Be quiet, Fluffy!' teaches the cat that making noise prompts your undivided attention, and thatís what kitty wants. So you could invest in ear-plugs and ignore the kitty pleas. A better choice, exercise your cat - play and run her around the room. A tired kitty is often a much better behaved kitty.

If your cat meows at night, remember, they are creatures of the night. About the time we humans are ready for some shut-eye, cats are ready to play. They'll talk to us, chase our feet under the covers, cold-nose our eyelids, even play 'gravity experiments' in the next room and knock objects onto the floor to make a loud noise! Probably the best option for you to get some rest is to confine kitty to an area that's enriched for her enjoyment, that's safe for her (and your belongings!) but won't disturb your sleep. If she has enough to keep her entertained and the confinement keeps her out of trouble, you should be able to start catching up on lost sleep!

We hope it's something simple like that and everything works out okay!

Here's wishing only the Best...

-Paul & Treesa!

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-30-07 at 02:03 AM.