Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-08-07, 11:43 AM   #1
Kudama
Banned

Got Fear? (I just discovered a new phobia.)

OK. So, I already have an irrational fear of needles and flying. The other day I discovered a new freaky mind trip.

The light's not working in the roof bathroom at my work, however I can see enough to do the normal bathroom stuff from the ambient light that comes in under the door. Then I went to wash my hands. I stood facing myself in the mirror in pretty much total darkness (most of the light, what there was, was on the floor).

BAM!!!

It felt like an electric current was going though my scalp! I panicked and reached for the door handle. WRONG SIDE! Then! When I realized and got my hand on the handle, I was pulling. I pulled like three times before I realized I was supposed to push. Then I was outta there.

I just got back from that bathroom after my break and the light is still out. I did not look in the mirror.
Old 05-08-07, 11:45 AM   #2
jadasion
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

so are you scared of electric currents or looking in the mirror?

edit to add: what you should do is go into the bathroom, make sure there is no light whatsoever, look at the mirror, close your eyes, start saying Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary and spin 3 times, then look in the mirror again.
Old 05-08-07, 11:47 AM   #3
Groucho

A have a terrible phobia of fear itself. Thanks a fucking lot, FDR.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-08-07, 11:54 AM   #4
Kudama
Banned

I don't know if you've ever had a phobic reaction, but it's like a psychological smackdown, and then you turn around to see who it was and there's no one there.

It makes no sense.

The electric current was literally my hair standing up. What freaked me out was what I was about to see in the mirror in the absence of light. Phobias are fun in a way that you know they don't make sense. Not fun in a way that they cause physiological panic symptoms no matter how much you can rationalize the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadasion
edit to add: what you should do is go into the bathroom, make sure there is no light whatsoever, look at the mirror, close your eyes, start saying Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary and spin 3 times, then look in the mirror again.
That was the first thing I thought of and realized a lot of girls are probably scarred from slumber party incidents of Bloody Mary.

Last edited by Kudama; 05-08-07 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-08-07, 12:11 PM   #5
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

So you're afraid of the dark. Yeah, that's a new one all right.
Old 05-08-07, 12:16 PM   #6
nemein

I'm confused, so are you saying you have catoptrophobia or eisoptrophobia? Or is it a combo of that and achluophobia, lygophobia or myctophobia?

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2323 days 18 hours 12 minutes
Old 05-08-07, 12:18 PM   #7
Kudama
Banned

If I was afraid of the dark I wouldn't be relaxed enough to pee. It's the reflection in the dark. Of me.
Try it. It's got to trip some of you out.
Old 05-08-07, 12:19 PM   #8
Groucho

I think a reflection of Kuduma in my mirror would be freaky, dark or no dark.
Old 05-08-07, 12:21 PM   #9
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, looking into a dark mirror is a well known children's game (in the form of "Bloody Mary" referenced above, and others). Your mind likes to fill in what's missing (the dark spots), so your reflection looks really freaky on first glance. It's a normal reaction, and just getting scared once does not a phobia make.
Old 05-08-07, 12:36 PM   #10
Kudama
Banned

I know, but I'm serious. I will not look again. There were no dark spots. All I could see was one corner of the mirror frame. Now I don't even want to see that thing out of the corner of my eye.
Please. Someone do this and describe the sensation. I can't be alone in this, can I?

Oh yeah. Thanks a lot, Groucho. That's not what your Mom's reflection said.
Old 05-08-07, 12:44 PM   #11
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next time you do this, say "Candyman" five times.
Old 05-08-07, 12:54 PM   #12
The Edit King
DVD Talk Hero

Staring into a mirror in the dark FREAKS ME OUT!!!

Almost as much as this:

I'm CLAUSTROPHOBIC!!!

...and No, that's not a fear of Santa Claus!

It's like:

((( !!!LET ME OUT!!! )))

I can't remember if anyone else out there (Within the DVD Talk family) suffers with this, but IT'S HORRIBLE!!!

I mean, it's like having your chest sat on by an ELEPHANT and it constricts your breathing and you can't get out or away and it's like drowning and, and, and...

When I was but a wee-child, my cousins rolled me up in a carpet with only my head sticking out and it was all fun and games (for them, anyway ) until they all started jumping on me and wouldn't get off!

I was FREAKING OUT and they were all laughing and having a grand ol' time, until their Momma came out with a belt and they all started running away, and she chased them, leaving me all FREAKIN' OUT, wrapped up tight in that DAMN carpet!

Ever since I had a double spinal fusion operation, and they need a MRI to see how the titanium plate the Doctor screwed into my neck is doing, they've got to use this 'chest armor' looking polymer plate thing, that helps to eliminate the halo effect from the bracket in my neck, because as I understand it, MRI's use magnets to take the pictures and metal causes halos and that in turn makes the results of the MRI hard if not impossible to read, and anyway, they clamp that armor thing down to the table, with ME in under it, so I'm really STUCK IN THERE and couldn't move even if I wanted to.

I always think of earthquakes happening when I'm all strapped down like that and how everyone would just run away and leave me STUCK there, just like my cousins did whenever DANGER STRIKES!!!

...but that's another story...

-I'M THEEKSTROPHOBIC!

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-08-07 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 01:19 PM   #13
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

In my case, I never had any problem with height. I enjoyed going on flight, etcÖ I donít even have problem going up on top of 100-story building or walking across Golden Gate bridge. Till we visited Vatican City, they have a tour that leads you to top of dome. We have to go up stairs along the dome (pretty narrow and right between inside & outside).

I started to feel uncomfortable and imagining that Iím walking upstairs that are about 200 feet in height Ė no safety net just below. I started to feel urgent to go DOWN, but the stairs is only one way to top of the dome (remember the stairs is very narrow, narrow enough to fit one large person). I rushed upstairs then go on other side stairs that lead down, and rushed downstairs. When I arrived down, I was shaking and sweating.

Couple days later, I had similar uncomfortable when our jeep guider took us to top of mountain in Madeira Island.

My sister, who accompanied me on those trips, thinks that I have my motherís genetic (she has fear of height)Ö Now, Iím recovering, but Iím little worried that I would have another uncomfortable experience in the future.

Croc RULE!
Old 05-08-07, 01:30 PM   #14
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Next time you do this, say "Candyman" five times.
No.

On my last smoke break I went in there again. I held on to the door handle in case anything leapt up and flew around the room. I was able to stare at the mirror for about five seconds. It wasn't as intense as before but I really didn't like it. I left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHawkson
I started to feel uncomfortable and imagining that Iím walking upstairs that are about 200 feet in height Ė no safety net just below. I started to feel urgent to go DOWN, but the stairs is only one way to top of the dome (remember the stairs is very narrow, narrow enough to fit one large person). I rushed upstairs then go on other side stairs that lead down, and rushed downstairs. When I arrived down, I was shaking and sweating.
The stuff of fucking nightmares. When I was younger in So Cal, a bunch of us were climbing up in the sandstone rocks off Topanga Canyon. We were typically getting drunk and stoned. Next thing I know we're trying to traverse this nub of a ledge around this giant rock and I realized there is nothing but fatality below. Of course the wind kicked up right at that moment.

Last edited by Kudama; 05-08-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 04:47 PM   #15
GrimTangent

What is a roof bathroom?
Old 05-08-07, 04:52 PM   #16
Brent_MN
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think mirrors work in the dark.
Old 05-08-07, 05:23 PM   #17
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimTangent
What is a roof bathroom?
It's a bathroom on the roof. You can go in there and lock the door in case you have shy kidneys. Plus I hate (HATE!) taking dumps in public restrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_MN
I don't think mirrors work in the dark.
This is a fairly common belief in this age of science and reason. Man lives in a sunlit world of what he believes to be reality. But...There is an underworld. A place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit. A DARK SIDE!
Old 05-08-07, 05:47 PM   #18
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edit King
...they clamp that armor thing down to the table, with ME in under it, so I'm really STUCK IN THERE and couldn't move even if I wanted to.
Sort of like this?

FrankenTHEEK!

Old 05-08-07, 06:07 PM   #19
innocentfreak
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get claustrophobic sometimes. I am a big guy and I barely made it through getting an MRI. I had to fold my arms on my chest so my shoulders would roll in so that they could even get me in the machine.

The other place I tend to get it bad is if I am sitting at the window of a plane or the inside seat of a booth. Just the fact I feel trapped where I am and can't get it out. I can make it through the meal since I am not thinking about it, but once I am done eating then I start to get the sweats and shakes after a few minutes.

I also have a problem with hospitals and vet offices. I can usually take about 10 minutes at most before I go light headed, lose the color in my face and start getting the sweats. I don't know what it is but I have almost passed out the few times I have been there.
Old 05-08-07, 06:30 PM   #20
Brent_MN
DVD Talk Special Edition

you guys are giving me ideas for new phobias to try out. one of 'em should be a good fit.
Old 05-08-07, 06:36 PM   #21
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

To this day, anytime I am going up stairs and the light behind me is off, I can see Gmork chasing me.

TO THIS DAY. Every single fucking day.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-08-07, 06:56 PM   #22
PrincessT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudama
That was the first thing I thought of and realized a lot of girls are probably scarred from slumber party incidents of Bloody Mary.
Indeed. I could slap my friend's older sisters for the shit they had us do as kids.

Wii Code: 3634 4474 0968 4351
Old 05-08-07, 07:01 PM   #23
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

All the bedroom closets in my house have full-length double-door sliding mirrors. I'm glad they don't scare me in the dark or I'd be in trouble!
Old 05-08-07, 07:03 PM   #24
fiver

I definitely no what you mean about strange 'phobias'...I can't go down into my parents' basement at night even though I've been out of the house for 14 years. The minute I start going down the steps, I start to get very anxious and panicky. I know there's nothing down there...the light's are on at the bottom of the stairs; I used to race up those stairs like there was a fire under me the fear became so intense. Never had that reaction in the dark before, or in anyone else's basement. Very startling.

I'm also afraid of heights. I am fine in enclosed areas, on a place, against a railing, but put me on a ladder and I can't get beyond the second step without complete paralysis overtaking me....feels like I can't even remember how to work my limbs to get back down again.

Michael
Old 05-08-07, 08:27 PM   #25
The Edit King
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Sort of like this?

FrankenTHEEK!

THAT'S ME!!! &
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I get claustrophobic sometimes. I am a big guy and I barely made it through getting an MRI. I had to fold my arms on my chest so my shoulders would roll in so that they could even get me in the machine.
I understand EXACTLY what you mean, IF!

I'm about 30 pounds overweight myself and I believe that has A LOT to do with it.

-FRANKENTHEEK! "MRI...BAD!"
Sponsored Links