Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-30-07, 05:10 PM   #1
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Weddingstravaganza: A question trifecta

OK, three things. I'm going to a friend's wedding this weekend in Charlotte, NC. I'm flying into RDU and taking a car to Charlotte. I've not seen my friend in seven years although I talk to her 1x year or so. We never dated, just had a good friendship for about two years in college.

Here are my questions:

1. What is an appropriate gift? I'm just giving cash. Is $100 an adequate amount? I don't want to seem cheap but this is also not a family member or very close friend.

2. Tell me about car rentals. Any companies to avoid or to go after? I know not to get the insurance since my credit card covers that type of stuff. I assume I also pay for gas? What do I "look out" for? Is there a mid-range American car that's fun to drive? I'm only renting for about 24 hours so I don't mind upgrading (sadly the Shelby Mustangs are not available ).

3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC? I have a few (2-4) hours available on the day I go back. Anything neat in either town? Or maybe a picturesque route I can take.

That's all. Thanks!

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-30-07, 05:24 PM   #2
ernestrp
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte%2C_NC

Old 04-30-07, 05:48 PM   #3
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC? I have a few (2-4) hours available on the day I go back. Anything neat in either town? Or maybe a picturesque route I can take.
Meet me for a beer.

Failing that... go to Durham and Chapel Hill, specifically Duke Gardens and Franklin Street. If you want to stay in Charlotte, you could go to the Mint Museum. In Raleigh, there's the NC Museum of Art.

The Official Cabinet
Old 04-30-07, 05:58 PM   #4
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Chapel Hill is more interesting than either Durham or Raleigh, although "interesting" is a relative term in that area.
Old 04-30-07, 06:36 PM   #5
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC?
NC Mojo?

-p
Old 04-30-07, 07:42 PM   #6
movie diva
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
1. What is an appropriate gift? I'm just giving cash. Is $100 an adequate amount? I don't want to seem cheap but this is also not a family member or very close friend.
I think that is more than enough, they will be glad to get it. Buy a nice card to put it in.
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 04-30-07, 07:49 PM   #7
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Cash is good. I'm in the school of thought if you have to travel a distance for the wedding, you don't need to give as much, but I'm sure I'm the minority.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-30-07, 08:25 PM   #8
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

NC Mojo I asked the Short Bus what she thought of us meeting for beers and she said, "Wait, I forget. Is he one of the really weird ones?"

Old 05-01-07, 06:31 PM   #9
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

The company that had convertibles for cheap ran out of them. I'm not stuck with a Buick. I told The Short Bus to bring her granny glasses. We're driving slooooow.

Old 05-01-07, 09:46 PM   #10
yojimbo44

that's a fine amount - i got married almost 4 years ago and we received an equal split of cash and gifts, and of course some of the gifts we received two or three of - with the cash, we were able to get what we needed after we settled - or, of course, it makes a nice bonus to go along with a honeymoon - we had a tight budget for ours, and a couple of extra $$$ really helped us enjoy ourselves and not worry about breaking the bank.

cheers and have a good time
Old 05-01-07, 09:55 PM   #11
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
NC Mojo I asked the Short Bus what she thought of us meeting for beers and she said, "Wait, I forget. Is he one of the really weird ones?"

And how did you answer?

The Official Cabinet