Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-02-07, 10:41 AM   #1
GradVT06
DVD Talk Special Edition

Calling any real or wanna be psychologist types!

OK, so there's definitely something wrong with me. I think.

Stupid little things ALWAYS piss me off to no end, and I get upset very easily and it ruins my days a lot of the time, and I don't know why.

I get pissed off when grandmas drive 5 below the speed limit, especially in the left lane or are slowing traffic, especially if it's on a 1-lane each way road. The same thing if it's some punk kid in some tricked out junky car speeding around like there's no one else on the road, weaving in and out of traffic way over the speed limit. It pisses me off and I wish bad things for them.

It pisses me off when I'm at any store and walking, whoever's in front of me just stops, especially if it's in the middle of the aisle. If you're gonna stop, move to the side damnit! Don't just stop to talk, or leave your cart in the middle of the aisle. If you do I will move it for you, and you're lucky I don't give it a good push and send it all the way down the aisle.

It pisses me off when I see fat people wearing way too small clothes than they should. I don't care if you're overweight, just don't show it to me. The same for folks that dress dirty.. for god sakes, have some self respect!

It pisses me off when people can't act in public. If you can't keep your kids from running through stores or wherever else in public, keep them home. If you can't go through checkout lines without hanging up the phone and telling the rest of us "oh my god.....she said..... and I was like........", I hope you're not paying attention when you walk outside and get runover by a delivery truck. I really wouldn't care. Or for that matter, why do you take the time to fill out a check? Why waste everyone's time? Get a check card or credit card, balance and view your accounts online. Or get ready to check out and then make everyone else wait because b/c your kid is running back from the cereal aisle or your waiting for your spouse to go get your purse b/c you left it in the car. If you work at a store, kick em to the back of the line. The rest of us are waiting and we're busy with other things to do.

If you can't park your car straight, turn in your damn license. Or be prepared for me to open my door into the side of your car if I have to so I can get out of mine.

Millions of other things, little things, get me so bothered and angry sometimes and it's frustrating me and my wife a lot. I'm not sure why I get so upset and let so many small things ruin my mood and my day. Much less important things, very stupid things just get my nerves for some reason and I don't want to live my life always being upset at something.

Anyone have any real advice?
Old 04-02-07, 10:47 AM   #2
leest3

As long as you dont' act out on your frustrations, or take them out on anyone else, you should be fine.
Old 04-02-07, 10:48 AM   #3
Kudama
Banned

Vhat ve haff here is der classik case of you are a bad person.
Old 04-02-07, 10:50 AM   #4
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

How old are you? As you get older, you realize most people are freaks and you learn to deal with it.
Old 04-02-07, 10:52 AM   #5
GradVT06
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
How old are you? As you get older, you realize most people are freaks and you learn to deal with it.
I'm only 24. I've never acted out on anything violently or physically or anything of the sort, I just get upset very quickly at relatively small things.

In my mind I've already decided most people are weird, stupid, or both.
Old 04-02-07, 11:05 AM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

You might try some anger management.

But on the bright side, I am still trying to keep from killing all the people around me, so by comparison, you have things easy.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 04-02-07, 11:26 AM   #7
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-02-07, 11:29 AM   #8
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

With all due respect to the OP...get over yourself. The whole world is out to personally piss you off with stupid shit right? Wroooooooonggggg.....
Old 04-02-07, 11:33 AM   #9
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously the people in this world are here to piss you off, it is time to just deal with it.

-p
Old 04-02-07, 11:59 AM   #10
Bobby Shalom

A few questions:

Do you exercise?
Do you have any depression or anxiety issues?
Do you drink alcohol often? (smoke pot, or anything else like that)
How's your diet?

Ever tried Yoga, or meditation?

I think you're probably just stressed, and need to find some ways to accept some of this shit. I get pissed off at a lot of the things you're talking about, but if I'm in a healthy place, eating right, exercising, these things can really just fall by the wayside.

If you're open to new agey stuff, you might want to try reading "The Power of Now." It focuses on trying to live in the moment and not getting caught up in extraneous shit.
Old 04-02-07, 12:10 PM   #11
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

yea dont "pet the sweaty stuff" or something like that
Old 04-02-07, 12:10 PM   #12
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradVT06
I get pissed off when grandmas drive 5 below the speed limit
Quote:
It pisses me off when I'm at any store and walking, whoever's in front of me just stops
Quote:
Or for that matter, why do you take the time to fill out a check?
I think I see your problem.

1) You think your time is more important than anyone else's.

Quote:
It pisses me off when I see fat people wearing way too small clothes than they should.
Quote:
If you can't go through checkout lines without hanging up the phone and telling the rest of us "oh my god.....she said..... and I was like........"
Quote:
If you can't park your car straight, turn in your damn license.
2) You are a moralist, who thinks that everybody in the world should do things the way that you would do them.

Quote:
I wish bad things for them.
Quote:
you're lucky I don't give it a good push and send it all the way down the aisle.
Quote:
I hope you're not paying attention when you walk outside and get runover by a delivery truck.
Quote:
be prepared for me to open my door into the side of your car
2a) If people don't do things the way you would do them, you want them punished. Sometimes you want God to punish people for giving you petty annoyances. Sometimes you don't want to wait for God, so you punish them yourself.

People around you are probably walking on eggshells, hoping that they don't commit some tiny infraction that will piss you off. Because if they do, you'll get mad and punish them.

Try to see things from their point of view.

Five cents please.
Old 04-02-07, 12:57 PM   #13
skiblet
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to be alot like this- little things that would be a nuissance to most people, would make me see blood red. People driving too slow, having to sit through commercials on tv, having to wait in lines - that was the worst of all- Waiting. Having to wait too long at a restaurante for dinner would turn me into a horrible person, or having to wait too long at a store in a line, etc..

So after a while though, and after lots of practice, i just trained myself to not care anymore. It took years to do this, like 4-5 years. Stress is extremly bad for you, much more than you realize. Its bad for your health, and your mind, and your life - so all these little nuissance things arent worth it.
Old 04-02-07, 08:00 PM   #14
Snorker

I think you just need to realize that at ANY MOMENT you could die. You will die. Don't worry about some jackoff driver, get over it, and do your best to be happy with the time you have

If you find yourself pissed about something, don't let yourself dwell on it. Take some responsibility for your thoughts and change them; when you're stuck waiting in line because someone is getting cereal let your mind be occupied with something you enjoy.

A lot (or all) of what you said bothers you is actually out of your control. If you kill the grandma moving slowly there's plenty more grandmas where that one came from. It's a losing proposition to pretend you have any control over these types of events, live with it and let go of the reigns.
Old 04-02-07, 08:57 PM   #15
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Everytime someone does something stupid, give yourself $5.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 04-02-07, 09:37 PM   #16
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Everytime someone does something stupid, give yourself $5.

-p
Old 04-02-07, 09:39 PM   #17
SeekOnce

Is there something in your life right now that could be a source for all this anger and frustration? Trouble at home? Stress at work? Money problems?
Old 04-02-07, 09:40 PM   #18
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Add another future pt. to the list!

Hulk Crush NOOOOOOOOW!

-p
Old 04-02-07, 09:48 PM   #19
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorker
I think you just need to realize that at ANY MOMENT you could die. You will die. Don't worry about some jackoff driver, get over it, and do your best to be happy with the time you have

If you find yourself pissed about something, don't let yourself dwell on it. Take some responsibility for your thoughts and change them; when you're stuck waiting in line because someone is getting cereal let your mind be occupied with something you enjoy.

A lot (or all) of what you said bothers you is actually out of your control. If you kill the grandma moving slowly there's plenty more grandmas where that one came from. It's a losing proposition to pretend you have any control over these types of events, live with it and let go of the reigns.
pfft

A better way to look at it is that all those who piss you off will one day die. Some due to their own asshattery, others wading around in their own mserable swamp of dumb as they waste their lives in a mindlesss 9 to 5 existence.
Old 04-02-07, 09:55 PM   #20
drmoze
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I second this: Yoga. Meditation.
Old 04-02-07, 10:26 PM   #21
Snorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin
pfft

A better way to look at it is that all those who piss you off will one day die. Some due to their own asshattery, others wading around in their own mserable swamp of dumb as they waste their lives in a mindlesss 9 to 5 existence.

Eh, I don't entirely disagree, but using this method is just tempting someone with anger problems to begin a thought cycle of how they want the asshat to die, leading to all the frustration the op is describing. I say the focus should be on the self rather than the other, because you can't change the other. It's out of your control, so focus on what you can change; yourself.
Old 04-02-07, 10:34 PM   #22
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I used to have the same problems as the OP but once I realized that stupid people are their own punishment and that they would pretty much die stupid, the anger disappeared. To be replaced by derisive laughter.
Old 04-02-07, 10:52 PM   #23
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could be anxiety. Read a book about how to deal with it.
Old 04-03-07, 09:34 AM   #24
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Waiting "harder" does not make the time pass any faster.

Try to just let things flow.

Life is not what you want it to be, what you think it ought to be, or what you have been told it is. It is what it is. Deal with it.
Old 04-03-07, 10:58 AM   #25
GradVT06
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks all for advice. As earlier posters said, it's not that I think I'm more important than everyone else and my time is more important, etc... but at least other people should be considerate of others around them.

Yoga and meditation aren't my thing and I doubt I'd ever try them. I've been previously living unhealthy, but for the last 3 months or so I've been eating very healthy and excercising at least a few times a week.

I try my best to not let things frustrate me so much, and I know it's a waste of time and energy and such, but despite knowing that, and that it's not in my control, it still frustrates me. I tell myself to just let it go, and sometimes I do, but often times it's tough.

There's very little stress for me... no problems at home or with money. Wife and I are going to be buying our first house this summer, so both of those are actually positive things, and although I commute 45 miles to/from work, most of it isn't a bad drive and work is pretty good too.

Skiblet- how did you work past it? You said it took a while... did you just keep on telling yourself in your head to forget it and move on?

While trying that yesterday I was at a left turn light and it changed green (this light is notoriously very short) and the girl ahead of me was all leaning to the side looking in the mirror brushing her hair and didn't go. I waited a few seconds as I always do before tapping the horn if sometime doesn't see the green light, and she sped off and flipped the bird. I thought to myself "I hope her engine dies the morning of something important she has to go to", but I didn't let it piss me off very much or ruin my day. I'll consider it a minor victory
Sponsored Links