Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-26-07, 08:30 AM   #1
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

How Otters Spend A Typical Day

I know we have members from all walks of life, and sometimes evolutionary periods. I wanted to find out how everyone spends a typical day.

For me:

Job: Grad Student, Uber-Therapist, Researcher, and Slave to my Supervisors

Typically I get up around 7:30-8:00am. I see a full-caseload of patients on most days, so that usually is from 9-4pm, sometimes earlier/later. I have class a couple times a week, so I do research/work on those days...typically until 8pm or so. Plenty of paperwork, assessments, and more research mixed in to most days. Then I resign to my hammock and do more work until 10-11pm. Asleep by 1am.

Weekends are a mix of binge drinking, the beach, and paperwork/studying.

-p
Old 03-26-07, 09:09 AM   #2
beencrazier

Job: Mom, student, part-time work, caregiver for grandma

Typical day: Starts about 6am. Get baby up, fed, dressed, then dress myself. Drop baby off at daycare, I go to school. My part-time jobs are at the school also, so I am at school from @8am-5pm, although that varies. Do clinicals on Tuesdays at the hospital from 7am-1pm. Fridays I have off from work or school, I use that day for appts, grocery shopping, etc. Anyway, after 5 I pick the baby up from daycare, go home...check in with grandma and see if she needs anything, feed baby, bathe baby, play with baby. Make dinner (ie throw in a frozen pizza). This lasts until about 8, when baby sleeps for the first time. 8-11 is shower time, homework time, and downtime. Around 11 the baby will get up to eat again, then I fight him to go to sleep...usually we're both in bed around midnight. Weekends are homework days, when I try to do all my homework for the week so I can have the downtime during the weekday nights.

I do have a long break (3hrs) from school/work on Wednesday that is all mine.. I can do homework, nap, whatever I want because my son's at daycare. I live for that break every week.
Old 03-26-07, 09:13 AM   #3
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

I TOTALLY know what you mean by that break. Sometimes I take off a bit early on Wednesday afternoon and I take a late afternoon nap...those are awesome. Thursday mornings I can sleep in until 9am or so, which is nice....but combined with the nap on wednesday...it gives me enough energy to finish the week.

-p
Old 03-26-07, 09:34 AM   #4
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Job: Full time undergrad (software engineering), software developer intern.

I really do not have a typical day seeing as class times vary as well as work. But it usually consists of me getting up at 8 or 9 every day and working, doing homework or going to class until about midnight. Seeing as I am a senior I also have a lot of hours per week committed to my senior design project.
Old 03-26-07, 09:38 AM   #5
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

What are you designing? I remember my first programming class in college (Java / Javascript)....we designed stupid shit like scientific calculators. Please tell me it is something more fun than that.

-p
Old 03-26-07, 11:05 AM   #6
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me:

Job: Grad Student, Researcher, and Husband

Typically I get up around 7:07 and out the door around 8:00am. 2 days a week I got to class, then the lab. The other three I got to lab then to class. During the typical week there are several meetings and seminars I need to attend, and I even go to most of them. Occasionally I meet with groups of people that know how to do the homework so I can copy off of them. I head home around 4-5 and relax for the short period before my wife gets home. Then it is dinner, studying/homework, and then bed.

Weekends are spending time with my wife while catching up with TiVo, movies, and paperwork/studying.

Soon yard work will become part of the equation, with 2.5 hr. mowing sessions and other necessary evils.
Old 03-26-07, 11:09 AM   #7
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

What is your area of research?

-p
Old 03-26-07, 11:19 AM   #8
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Electrical Engineering;

Form of: Electromagnetics

Researching in particle acceleration using RF superconductivity.

I just started so I don't have a thesis topic, but it will probably be in the area of low-Beta multi-gap resonant cavities.
Old 03-26-07, 12:21 PM   #9
Giles

job: Case Statistics, Reception (Homeless Drop-In Center)

mornings are evil. I set the alarm for 7 but don't roll out of bed til 8. Rarely eat breakfast. Walk to work - great (and probably) the only exercise I get for the day. Lunch is always a little adventure in what my appetite is, since there is a pretty good diverse selection in my neighborhood. Work in general depending on the day, is either chaotic, quiet, or just exhausting. Get out between 4-4:30. Get home, either nap, watch something on DV-R a DVD from netflix, or house work - make dinner. Eat in between 7-7:30 watch Jeopardy maybe watch another movie or tv show I have on DV-R. Get in bed by 11, might read a bit, clonk out. Thursday, Fri-Sun evening see friends, out to dinner, movies, theatre. Would like to dedicate more time to exercise - wish I wasn't so damn tired all the time.
Old 03-26-07, 12:40 PM   #10
Pressplay
DVD Talk Special Edition

Job: full time French copywriter in an ad agency, and freelance French copywriter

I wake up at 8 am, take a shower, feed the cat and get dressed. I get to work around 9:30. I eat breakfast at my desk. I then spend the morning in meetings for new projects or I finish yesterday's work. I eat lunch with coworkers from noon to one pm. I work some more on projects until 6 pm, if I don't need to stay for some overtime. About 10 days a month, I have to work on casting, recording sessions for tv/radio spots or go to shootings on location outside the agency. I love those days, but they mean 14 hours of work on each day. Once every two weeks, I have a cocktail or work-related event to go to in the evening. If I don't have any plans, I go back home after my day, usualy around 6:30 pm. I work out on the treadmill if I have the energy (i.e. about 3 times a week) then I take a shower and eat dinner. I read blogs and check out Web sites I like on my laptop while watching TV. Once a week, my best friend comes over to spend the evening with me. If I have freelance work to do, I do it while watching TV. On Fridays, I usualy watch a DVD from my collection. I go to bed around midnight, 1 am on Fridays.

I have fun weeks, but it's very stressful work so I'm always beat when Friday comes. I need to go to bed earlier.
“"Hello, fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot..." - What? - "Taxes, they'll be lower...son. The democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadelphia, so do."

Last edited by Pressplay; 03-26-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-26-07, 12:53 PM   #11
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw9
Electrical Engineering;

Researching in particle acceleration using RF superconductivity.

I just started so I don't have a thesis topic, but it will probably be in the area of low-Beta multi-gap resonant cavities.
A buddy of mine in college did stuff with electromagnets. He did mostly theoretical stuff...it made my head hurt when he explained it.

-p <----NOT an enginerd / physics person
Old 03-26-07, 01:29 PM   #12
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue
A buddy of mine in college did stuff with electromagnets. He did mostly theoretical stuff...it made my head hurt when he explained it.

-p <----NOT an enginerd / physics person

Yeah, I work with a lot of physics people. Their stuff makes my head spin, talk about theoretical!
Old 03-26-07, 01:44 PM   #13
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

As of next week:

6:50AM - Get up
7:20AM - Leave House
8:00AM - Start Work (breakfast in between either on the way to work or at the cafeteria)
12:30PM- Lunch
1:00PM - Back to work
4:30PM - Leave 1st job
6:00PM - Start 2nd job, hopefully finding some time to change and eat dinner in between
10:30PM - Leave 2nd job
11:00PM - Get home, shower, watch TV, DVD's, play a game, read a book
12:30AM - Bed
Old 03-26-07, 01:59 PM   #14
antennaball
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Job: Cop, Father, Husband

Typical Day: Wake up at 8:30 PM. Tuck in my six year old son, press uniform, shower, drive to the station. check out patrol car around 9:45 and head out. Work till 6AM. Go to the gym and play basketball from 6:15 - 7:30. Go home, say hi to my wife as she rushes out the door for work, take over watching my 9 month old girl. If she'll sleep, I nap for an hour or so around Noon. At 3:30, the 6 year old gets home from school. At 4:30, I take him to martial arts class. My wife meets me there and take over watching both kids. I go home around 5:30 and sleep for 3 hours. Rinse and repeat.

I stay kinda tired.
Old 03-26-07, 02:03 PM   #15
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Job: Real Estate Broker, slumlord, father, etc.

Wake up at 7am and bottle feed the baby (not code for masturbation).
8am take middle son to school and get to office.
9-Noon Check email, answer calls, do paperwork, get listings, play poker online.
Noon-1pm go get garbage from rentals. Shake down deadbeats for rent
1-5:30 back to office, deal with agents, paperwork, play poker, drink diet coke
5:30-8 play with kids, eat dinner, go to meetings.
8-midnight watch tv and movies.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-26-07, 02:03 PM   #16
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Job: Insurance Agent, Massage Therapist, wife and mother of 3 kids.

I have to spell mine out in a typical week, if that's alright.

Mondays I hit the snooze button for about 45 minutes and get out of bed finally about 7:00 and wake up my kids, make breakfast, take a shower and take the baby to grandmas house to spend the day and night. Mondays are my days to do some advertising stuff and touch base with my massage clients as well as running any errands that I didn't do over the weekend. I start making dinner at around 5:00-5:30 in order to have it on the table at 6:00 because my son needs his insulin - so we all eat together. I'm usually in bed by 8:30 but watching TV until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.

Tuesdays, again hitting the snooze button a few times, getting out of bed and in the shower at 6:30. Wake the kids up at 7:00, make breakfast, pack lunches/snacks, send them off to the bus, finish getting ready for work and head out the door at 8:30. Work at the office from 9-4, drive home real fast to give son a shot, head back to work until 5:30. Baby comes home at the same time. Fuss with kids, make dinner, help with any homework, clean the house and head to bed again at 9:00.

Same thing for Wednesdays.

Thursdays, wake the kids up at 7 after I've showered and gotten ready for the day, make breakfast, send the kids off to school. Thursdays are my days off to spend time with the baby. We have a playdate from 10:30 til 12:00 each Thursday, then it's home for a nap. Same evening schedule: fuss with kids, make dinner, clean house, etc.

Fridays are like Tuesdays and Wednesdays but I work at the office until 1:00 then come home and see massage clients if I have any scheduled: wake up, get kids ready, get baby ready for dad to take her to grandmas, go to work. Then it's date night since the kids are all gone for the night. I usually don't make a big dinner since it's just the two of us, so we wing it, watch a movie or a game, or go hang out somewhere.

Weekends are family time.
Old 03-26-07, 02:07 PM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw9
Electrical Engineering;

Which one are you?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-26-07, 02:10 PM   #18
girlnextdoor
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Get up 6:30 – walk dog, dress, wake my son, wake my husband lay out clothes for both of them.
2. Leave house by 7:50 to bring my son to school – private school no transportation
3. At my desk at 8:30. Computer work, meeting new patients, chasing any stray patients, greeting visitors.
4. ½ the days lunch here ½ the days at my house working on laundry. I have found lunch is a good time for me to hang clothes.
5. Work till 4:00
6. Pick up my son from school.
7. Home by 5:00.
8. Walk the dog, get mail.
9. Homework – cooking – cleaning kitchen
10. 3 days a week – go to 2nd job – family restaurant, close at 10pm
11. In bed 11:30 – 12:00
Old 03-26-07, 02:17 PM   #19
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue
What are you designing? I remember my first programming class in college (Java / Javascript)....we designed stupid shit like scientific calculators. Please tell me it is something more fun than that.

-p

We are designing a generic video game graphics engine for PC and Xbox 360. It is a 2D engine but we are also developing all of the Tools to easily create any type of 2D game, without needing any programming knowledge. We have four team members and 9 months to make it. Although we HAVE to go through the entire software process cycle so we really only have 5 months of pure development.
Old 03-26-07, 02:52 PM   #20
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

6:15-Get up, showered, dressed, feed cat, out the door.
7-8-Commute to work on stupid MTA transportation, eat breakfast at my desk or what ever work location I am at for the morning.
12-Lunch
4:30-leave work
4:30-5:30-Same crappy commute
6-8-gym, working out, etc... (Tues, Thurs, Fri its Jiu-Jitsu & Mon and Fri crossfit/weight lifting)
8-11-shower, spend time w/wife, eat dinner, watch TV or DVD
11-hopefully bed.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 03-26-07, 03:08 PM   #21
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

7:20am-8:20am - Get up for work and do the 15-20 min drive to work to get there at 8am or 9am. I don't miss nightshift but I am so not a morning person.

5pm: leave work to drive to class at 5:30pm

Leave class at 8:30pm-10:00pm and head home. Maybe see my little girl (14 months) on the 8:30pm days if I haul ass on the freeway (45 min drive from school to home).

Get home, visit wife for a little bit, watch Lost or whatever. Play Gears of War or other video game from 10-11pm to maybe 1am.

Exceptions: no school Tuesday. Wife is at school though so I have to pick up my girl at 5:30p-6p from the babysitter. Friday: come home at 6pm and see my wife and kid at the same time. Whoa!
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy
Old 03-26-07, 03:18 PM   #22
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Job: Warehouse/Supervisor/Inventory Managment/Special Project in Charge/assist to Director of Operation

My daily work are always different, depending on what's going on in our warehouse. Today, I'm working on a special project, preparing for summer sales (making spaces for seasonal items, such as snow tire chains, floating vests, etc...). Most days, I focus on inventory, rechecking all items that pickers "zero." Sometimes, Director send me to our satellite store/warehouse to redesign the floor plan - or make floor plan on new store/warehouse (BTW, we're auto and marine distributors).

Croc RULE!
Old 03-26-07, 03:18 PM   #23
stevevt
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

7:30: Wake up. Net surf. Take shower. Grab a light breakfast.
8:15: Wander into the home office and start working. Check in with my boss via IM. Check emails.
8:45: Start "actual" work -- technical editing and book production.
12:00: Lunch. Sometimes I eat in the living room. Sometimes I eat at my desk and get work done. Sometimes I go out.
12:30: Back to work if not there already.
5:00: Stop working.
5:30: Watch some TV, more net surfing.
Evenings: Varies between some combination of playing ultimate frisbee, riding stationary bike, pinball (informal league with some friends), misc going out, and TV.

I don't have a required set work schedule, so all times are estimated and subject to change.
Old 03-26-07, 04:04 PM   #24
jeffkjoe
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Job: Animator

7:30 - Wake up
9:00 - Arrive at work
10:00 - Attend dailies in screening room with directors and receive critique for previous day's work
11:00 - Animate at desk
12:00 - Go to gym (yoga or kickboxing or lift weights)
1:00 - Lunch
1:30 - 5:00 - Animate at desk
5:00 - 6:00 - Afternoon dailies with directors
6:00 - 7:00 - Squeeze in one more hour's worth of animation
Old 03-26-07, 04:09 PM   #25
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Which one are you?

The one on the left (the FAR left!)