Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-07, 09:34 PM   #1
ukywyldcat
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Grocery Store Etiquette: Who is responsible for placing divider between groceries?

I never put the divider behind my groceries for the next person. I always let them be responsible for that when my groceries move forward and give them some space. I get a lot of dirty looks. Is there some rule that the person with room behind their groceries is responsible for placing the divider on the conveyor-belt so the other person can then place their groceries on the conveyor?
Old 03-23-07, 09:36 PM   #2
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

You put down your own divider to keep your groceries separated from the person in front of you, at least IMHO.
Old 03-23-07, 09:38 PM   #3
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I put the divider behind my groceries to make sure I don't pay for shit that I don't want.
Old 03-23-07, 09:41 PM   #4
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

I put down the divider to make sure I don't pay for stuff I don't want either but also because it seems like the polite thing to do and it's really not hard to do so I don't mind.
Old 03-23-07, 09:42 PM   #5
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Whichever one gives a shit. I leave a big enough gap between the person in front of me so it is obvious. If someone behind me wants to use it, go for it.
Old 03-23-07, 09:53 PM   #6
Green Smurf
DVD Talk Special Edition

usually the person in front is closer to the divider, so it's just common courtesy to grab the divider and plunk it down.
Old 03-23-07, 09:54 PM   #7
Eplicon
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do it, but half the time, like when giving a driver/pedestrian the right of way, I don't get the "thank you" courtesy. I always give the gratitude when someone puts down the divider so I can put down my groceries, however.
Old 03-23-07, 10:07 PM   #8
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Smurf
usually the person in front is closer to the divider, so it's just common courtesy to grab the divider and plunk it down.
This is my thought too, you're closer to the dividers. The person behind you shouldn't have to reach over all your stuff to get to the divider.

I get thank you's most of the time when i do it.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 03-23-07, 10:15 PM   #9
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

ukywyldcat's responsibility.

I'm not a fan of people quoting others and saying "This," but... This.
- VinVega
Old 03-23-07, 10:16 PM   #10
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yeah, this is a no-brainer.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 03-23-07, 10:16 PM   #11
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Quote:
+1
Old 03-23-07, 10:17 PM   #12
fargreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplicon
I do it, but half the time, like when giving a driver/pedestrian the right of way, I don't get the "thank you" courtesy. I always give the gratitude when someone puts down the divider so I can put down my groceries, however.
Just because someone doesn't SAY thank you doesn't mean they don't appreciate it. I almost never say thank you to people, but I still appreciate it when people do something nice for me, and I don't ever expect them to say it to me. It's not that I'm rude, I just wasn't raised around people who always said thank you, the other person knew that you were thankful.
Old 03-23-07, 10:44 PM   #13
innocentfreak
DVD Talk Special Edition

People actually use the divider? I have never used the divider except for the occasional time where the person in front of me put it behind their groceries. I always just leave enough space for it to be clear.
Old 03-23-07, 11:14 PM   #14
J-Dubya
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

this should be a poll numbnuts
Old 03-23-07, 11:25 PM   #15
Altimus Prime

I always use the self-checkout.

I like to do it myself.

... wait, that doesn't sound quite right...
Old 03-23-07, 11:29 PM   #16
calhoun07
DVD Talk Legend

I never use the divider either. I just start putting my stuff up when there is a decent amount of space between my groceries and the person's in front of me.

The only time I had a problem was when this old ass man in front of me panicked when the belt started to move because the cashier was done with the previous customer. While the customer was paying for their groceries, and the old ass man had his stuff far enough ahead that I didn't think I needed a divider, I started to put my stuff up on the belt. After the cashier took the last item for the customer who was ready to pay off the belt the belt started to move and the old ass man kept on pulling his items back. The belt kept on going and my groceries started to mingle with his as he was holding them back with his arms. The cashier turned the belt off and I grabbed the divider to appease the panicking old man. I wanted to belt him over the head with it, actually.
Old 03-23-07, 11:37 PM   #17
ukywyldcat

I don't do it because the divider is a filthy ass stick. I touch enough dirty things throughout the day. Anytime I can eliminate another filthy thing to touch, I do it. Flame away...

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 03-23-07 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-23-07, 11:37 PM   #18
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I never put the divider behind my groceries for the next person. I always let them be responsible for that when my groceries move forward and give them some space. I get a lot of dirty looks. Is there some rule that the person with room behind their groceries is responsible for placing the divider on the conveyor-belt so the other person can then place their groceries on the conveyor?
in other words you are a selfish twit. put the divider down. you want them climbing over you to get to it?
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 03-23-07, 11:45 PM   #19
ukywyldcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz
in other words you are a selfish twit. put the divider down. you want them climbing over you to get to it?
You are a selfish twit for not taking responsiblity for your own groceries and your own separation. I'm already on the conveyor. If you'd like to be on, too, take responsibility for separating your groceries from mine.
Old 03-23-07, 11:48 PM   #20
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
You are a selfish twit for not taking responsiblity for your own groceries and your own separation. I'm already on the conveyor. If you'd like to be on, too, take responsibility for separating your groceries from mine.
Just wondering, at what point do you put your stuff on the conveyor when someone is checking out in front of you?
Old 03-23-07, 11:49 PM   #21
ukywyldcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Just wondering, at what point do you put your stuff on the conveyor?
After the person in front of me places the divider down.

Or, after there is plenty of room to not mix our groceries together.
Old 03-24-07, 12:03 AM   #22
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Common sense.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-24-07, 12:37 AM   #23
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Common sense.
Same.
Old 03-24-07, 03:46 AM   #24
Cygnet74
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

the lesser of the two assholes places the divider.
Old 03-24-07, 04:26 AM   #25
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

This discussion is going to start going the way of the burrito thread.

I can feel it in my bones.

[==========================================]