Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-07, 05:26 PM   #1
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

My cat has a lump on her back

It's about twice the size of a grape, oblong and right next to her right shoulder blade. We have an appointment today at 4:15 with a new vet that specializes in cats only. I'm worried about her because she's been acting very strangely for the last 6 months. I'm hoping it's just a fluid-filled cyst and not something like cancer. Anyway, this is Meesha, my 12 year old babygirl.

I'm sad, cheer me up and make me laugh.
Old 03-12-07, 05:28 PM   #2
Groucho

My parents had a cat with this, turned out to be a cyst (which is very common). The cat is still alive, and pushing 20 years old.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 03-12-07, 05:40 PM   #3
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Did she got in fight recently? My Bosco was bitten by (I suspected) my other cat, Andy. Bosco has bump on his back. I took him to vet and turned out it was infected from bite.

Vet cut small hole near wound and insert straw. Eww...

Croc RULE!
Old 03-12-07, 05:55 PM   #4
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

What hump?
Old 03-12-07, 06:10 PM   #5
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Did she got in fight recently? My Bosco was bitten by (I suspected) my other cat, Andy. Bosco has bump on his back. I took him to vet and turned out it was infected from bite.

Vet cut small hole near wound and insert straw. Eww...
No, she doesn't go outside at all and we keep her away from Sirius since last time he got a hold of her, he tore her ear.
Old 03-12-07, 06:13 PM   #6
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Probably gross but harmless. Let us know!
Old 03-12-07, 06:15 PM   #7
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Probably gross but harmless. Let us know!
I will. I'm hoping it's just a cyst, like Groucho said. Still, it's hard for me because I've had this cat for longer than I've had kids. She's my baby.
Old 03-12-07, 07:12 PM   #8
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
No, she doesn't go outside at all and we keep her away from Sirius since last time he got a hold of her, he tore her ear.
I hear you on Sirius. What about XM? Does she have access to that?

Seriously, though -- here's hoping it's something non-threatening like a fluid cyst.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 03-12-07, 07:24 PM   #9
ernestrp
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it said a dump.

Old 03-12-07, 08:11 PM   #10
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

On Mars, it means she's pregnant.

Hope it turns out to be nothing.
Old 03-12-07, 08:15 PM   #11
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

It's not good. $300 worth of blood work and an office visit. The lump is very solid and does not appear to be fluid filled. After we get the bloodwork back, we'll have the lump removed.
Old 03-12-07, 08:38 PM   #12
Pistol Pete
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my cats came down with vaccine-site sarcoma on her hip. The prognosis was not good. It is a very fast metastisizing cancer; we were told that the 6 month survival rate is very low. It occurs in about 1 in 1000 vaccinated cats.

To treat the cancer they completely removed the entire outer muscle of her left rear leg. There was enough of inner muscle remaining that she could still walk. Again the vet warned us that her long term survival was not likely.

That was almost 5 years ago. She's not as spry as she once was, but she has no problem keeping up with the other cats. She is able to jump on our bed 30" off the ground with no problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the future may hold the worst, but it is cetainly not a foregone conclusion. Somebody needs to balance out the statistics. It may as well be your kitty.

Good luck and stay strong.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 03-12-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-12-07, 08:44 PM   #13
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Pete. I appreciate you sharing your story with me. I'm not sure what this lump is but it doesn't look good. Ugh.
Old 03-12-07, 09:02 PM   #14
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

My 13 year old cat had a lump on his chest right at the leg, which turn out to be a sarcoma, but not vaccination related. I got slightly different information from my vet than Pistol Pete. Basically that it spreads locally by tendrils, it does not metastasize until very late. However, the surgery is all about getting all the tendrils and having adequate margins. My cat has recovered pretty fast and has had eight good months. But we are still waiting, and don't know his long time odds. The vet said if we don't see regrowth within a year she probably got it all. Odds aren't great though.

We discussed radiation in addition to surgery, but it does not improve the odds much, is very hard on the cat, and is very expensive. The vet and I agreed that we would not put the cat through that and focus on remaining quality of life. Although I'm still hoping she got it all.
Old 03-12-07, 10:20 PM   #15
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

It's nothing to be worried about, it's just an extra nipple
Old 03-12-07, 10:32 PM   #16
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude
My 13 year old cat had a lump on his chest right at the leg, which turn out to be a sarcoma, but not vaccination related. I got slightly different information from my vet than Pistol Pete. Basically that it spreads locally by tendrils, it does not metastasize until very late. However, the surgery is all about getting all the tendrils and having adequate margins. My cat has recovered pretty fast and has had eight good months. But we are still waiting, and don't know his long time odds. The vet said if we don't see regrowth within a year she probably got it all. Odds aren't great though.

We discussed radiation in addition to surgery, but it does not improve the odds much, is very hard on the cat, and is very expensive. The vet and I agreed that we would not put the cat through that and focus on remaining quality of life. Although I'm still hoping she got it all.
Oh man. I think my head is going to explode.
Old 03-12-07, 10:49 PM   #17
Cool Kitten
DVD Talk Legend

It could also be benign!
I'm not going to bore you with Nicky's story. The good thing is that he's in full remission, the bad thing is that i now have to make his food since he stopped eating cat food completely. But hey, he's alive and reasonably well, even if he did have an accident on my down comforter a few days ago.
Old 03-12-07, 11:25 PM   #18
beavismom
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sorry. I hope that you get the best possible news about this. **Extra love to your furbaby**
Old 03-12-07, 11:27 PM   #19
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

I know. I'm trying to keep my hopes up. She's in great health otherwise.
Old 03-12-07, 11:41 PM   #20
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
One of my cats came down with vaccine-site sarcoma on her hip. The prognosis was not good. It is a very fast metastisizing cancer; we were told that the 6 month survival rate is very low. It occurs in about 1 in 1000 vaccinated cats.

To treat the cancer they completely removed the entire outer muscle of her left rear leg. There was enough of inner muscle remaining that she could still walk. Again the vet warned us that her long term survival was not likely.

That was almost 5 years ago. She's not as spry as she once was, but she has no problem keeping up with the other cats. She is able to jump on our bed 30" off the ground with no problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the future may hold the worst, but it is cetainly not a foregone conclusion. Somebody needs to balance out the statistics. It may as well be your kitty.

Good luck and stay strong.
Aww! How inspiring! Great story.

Kitty, I hope your kitty gets well soon.
Old 03-13-07, 12:15 AM   #21
La Bella Rose
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aww Kitty, I was hoping to hear better news tonight.

Keep your hopes high a lot of pet lumps turn out to be nothing. My 9 year old puppy had a huge lump on his neck last summer it was really hard and the doctor gave a grim report at first look. The lump was benign and shrunk on its own within a month.

I really hope you'll get good news soon. *hug*
Old 03-13-07, 10:04 AM   #22
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Kitty, I was out yesterday so I'm just now seeing this. Please give your fur baby some cuddles from me. Hang in there.
Old 03-13-07, 10:23 AM   #23
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

At your cat's age, it might be an "old lady bump" .

Thick spots in the skin that aren't anything really, but you have to check them all out, in case they are something.

I had a cat prone to that. Every time she got a new lump, I knew it was harmless, but had it checked out anyway. In case it wasn't.

Sometimes I think cats do this just to drive us crazy.
Old 03-13-07, 10:43 AM   #24
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have you ruled out the possibility that you're staring at it's tail?
Old 03-13-07, 10:43 AM   #25
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone. Meesha spent all of last night plastered up against me; I'm pretty sure she didn't move at all (I have the stiff neck to prove it). Anyway, I'll know something today after 2:30 when we get her blood work back. Then we can schedule her surgery. The really sucky thing is that the vet wants to keep her overnight so he can watch her since she's so old. I hate being without my snuggle baby and I know she's going to meow all night. My poor baby. I must now go drown my sorrows in a $5 cup of coffee from Starbucks, courtesy of Mr. Tom Opus.
Sponsored Links