Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-07-07, 01:02 AM   #1
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Moving advice needed.

I have very simple questions:

How the hell am I supposed to move all of my computers, LCD monitors, stereo components, home theater, bookshelf stereos, tvs, and dvd players?

How do I pack this stuff in boxes? Do I trust it to the moving company, or take it piecemeal in my own car? This crap amounts for ~40% of the volume of my stuff.

Also, how do I move my mounted posters and art?
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 03-07-07, 10:01 AM   #2
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
I'd take anything really precious or delicate in my car, but the other stuff you mention can be professionally packed. Especially if they pack it themselves, the movers are responsible if anything happens to your stuff.
Old 03-07-07, 10:24 AM   #3
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, move all that delicate stuff on your own. The insurance doesn't cover the replacement cost if the company breaks it or f's it up while moving it. Also, your HO insurance doesn't cover it while being moved. SOME companies will cover it while in the truck in transition, but not while being carried to and from. It's kind of a fine line there.

Be very clear on the insurance coverage they carry if you choose to have them move this stuff for you. Once you submit a claim, they will nickel and dime you and try to pay you about $6 per pound of the item or something really close to that.

Been there, done that.
Old 03-07-07, 11:35 AM   #4
danegger

When we made our big move a few years ago into our house, I took all my prized possessions myself. TV, Stereo, DVD's, DVD Player, etc. I wasn't about to trust it to anyone. To much money invested.

I also had a buddy last year who used movers and when he got to unpacking and everything, he came across a few things missing. Just be careful 'cause you never know what or who you may be dealing with.
Old 03-07-07, 12:13 PM   #5
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast
Yeah, move all that delicate stuff on your own. The insurance doesn't cover the replacement cost if the company breaks it or f's it up while moving it. Also, your HO insurance doesn't cover it while being moved. SOME companies will cover it while in the truck in transition, but not while being carried to and from. It's kind of a fine line there.

Be very clear on the insurance coverage they carry if you choose to have them move this stuff for you. Once you submit a claim, they will nickel and dime you and try to pay you about $6 per pound of the item or something really close to that.

Been there, done that.
The standard insurance moving companies carry is only $.60 per pound. I would definitely spring for more.
Old 03-07-07, 03:28 PM   #6
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
The standard insurance moving companies carry is only $.60 per pound. I would definitely spring for more.
Oh, 6 CENTS per pound. I thought it was $6. That's even more reason not to use them to move the breakable, valuable stuff!

We moved 3 months ago. We had to file a claim because they tore my umbrella awning thingy to a pretty pricey lawn swing. They refused to pay it because it doesn't exceed their required $500 minumum claim. Then they took it upon themselves to calculate the cost of it to be like $10 or something like that.

Bastards I tell ya!