Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-01-07, 10:50 AM   #1
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At work, how do you let your manager know how busy you are?

So I started a new job about 5 months ago and things are going well. I've been assigned to a new job that basically makes me the main contact point/point of responsibility. My manager oversees a couple of different people but is also pretty busy herself. I certainly want to keep her up to date on how busy I am and how good a job I'm doing, but I feel weird if I just swing by her cube and let her know. How can I let her know that I'm doing a good job, things are under control, but busy? (basically give myself a pat on the back without making it super obvious)

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 03-01-07, 10:58 AM   #2
BuddhaWake
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I may have gotten in trouble the other day by saying that the workload was too much and pointless when they could go for higher acuracy of completion and less output. then I said that the big brass managers were idiots and got their managing skills from the back of a cereal box. In other words is better to keep your mouth shut which is my recomendation. If you go over you risk the chance of them giving you even more work because you are doing a good job and can rely on you even for last minute things. Of course I work for the government so is not the real world. plus the more you care the more they screw you over.
Old 03-01-07, 11:02 AM   #3
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Budda's right. Last time I mentioned my workload, the boss said "What's wrong with you? Can't you do two things at once?!!??!" Of course I was doing about 6 things at once and since he's so out of the loop, he doesn't know about all the other projects I'm doing or all the retarded questions I'm spending my time answering all day.

If you are working off hours, you can always send an e-mail out (cc-ing your boss) stating what projects you finished.
Old 03-01-07, 11:03 AM   #4
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I think I may have gotten in trouble the other day by saying that the workload was too much and pointless when they could go for higher acuracy of completion and less output. then I said that the big brass managers were idiots and got their managing skills from the back of a cereal box. In other words is better to keep your mouth shut which is my recomendation. If you go over you risk the chance of them giving you even more work because you are doing a good job and can rely on you even for last minute things. Of course I work for the government so is not the real world. plus the more you care the more they screw you over.

That's actually a good point about if you are doing a good job, you will just get overloaded

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 03-01-07, 11:08 AM   #5
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have any regular meetings with her and do you have specific performance objectives? I have a pretty good relationship with my boss so he knows what I'm working on most of the time but I also track everything I do and how it impacts my objectives. My performance reviews are pretty much me bringing in documentation to show my boss how awesome I am. Makes his job and my job a lot easier.
Old 03-01-07, 11:16 AM   #6
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
I keep three or four DVDTalk Forum screens open on the computer.
Old 03-01-07, 12:02 PM   #7
GreenEggs248

They have a ticketing system here. They can tell how many issues we verified.
Old 03-01-07, 12:15 PM   #8
wendersfan

Yeah, right.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 03-01-07, 12:18 PM   #9
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I would go with STFU and don't say anything until something is said to you
Old 03-01-07, 12:30 PM   #10
tropicana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs248
They have a ticketing system here. They can tell how many issues we verified.
it doesnt go well with the beer and pingpong table in your break room

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
I would go with STFU and don't say anything until something is said to you
yea i agree, but most managers are poor with the recognition unless they somehow come across an outcome. if you wait...you might be waiting forever
Old 03-01-07, 12:32 PM   #11
ANDREMIKE
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You could send her a weekly report. Give her updates on various things you are working on. When she sees that you are not doing enough work, she may ask you, or give you more...
Old 03-01-07, 12:58 PM   #12
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Keep jars of your own urine on your desk. It will show you are too busy to even go to the bathroom.
Old 03-01-07, 01:22 PM   #13
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't get caught reading this site while you are supposed to be working.

-Tyler
Old 03-01-07, 01:41 PM   #14
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

The less they know what I'm doing, the better, as long as I'm getting it done.
Old 03-01-07, 01:51 PM   #15
kbmagic

I agree with Andremike -- send her weekly synopsis reports of the activities you've completed each week. My chart has a place for daily activities, and a place at the bottom for 'outstanding issues' and a place for issues I need my manager's input on. It works for me....
Old 03-01-07, 01:53 PM   #16
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmagic
I agree with Andremike -- send her weekly synopsis reports of the activities you've completed each week. My chart has a place for daily activities, and a place at the bottom for 'outstanding issues' and a place for issues I need my manager's input on. It works for me....
I guess it really depends on how your company runs. Where I work, you usually just get your stuff done. If it is done then they know you are working, if not then they can question you about, might not always be your fault. Just get your shit done, on time and make it quality work and you should be fine.

-Tyler
Old 03-01-07, 02:04 PM   #17
Pressplay
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy that "forever smoking" fake cup of coffee and leave it on your desk at all times.
"Hello, fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot..." - What? - "Taxes, they'll be lower...son. The democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadelphia, so do."
Old 03-01-07, 05:00 PM   #18
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

It's my experience, that if they don't know on their own, then they won't care if you bring it up. My current manager is well aware of my recent workload (helping another department), so he'll defend me to other departments, but he'll also keep me honest privately.

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.