Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-26-07, 06:22 PM   #1
mrpayroll

Do you think that overly 'obese' children should be taken away from their parents?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022600801.html

Quote:
Britain May Take Custody of Obese Boy

By COURTNEY FRENCH
The Associated Press
Monday, February 26, 2007; 4:31 PM

LONDON -- Authorities are considering taking an 8-year-old boy who weighs 218 pounds into protective custody unless his mother improves his diet, officials said Monday.

Social service officials will meet with family members Tuesday to discuss the health of Connor McCreaddie, who weighs more than three times the average for his age.

Connor McCreaddie right aged 8 who weighs 218 pounds (99 kilograms) and his mother Nicola McKeown, left, outside their home in Wallsend, 300 miles (480 kilometers) north of London, England, Monday Feb. 26, 2007. Connor who weighs more than three times the average for his age, could be taken into protective custody away from his mother for his own benefit. An unnamed health official was quoted as telling a newspaper that the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.(AP Photo/Scott Heppell) (Scott Heppell - AP)

"The worst case would be Connor getting taken into care. He is well cared for," the boy's mother, Nicola McKeown, told ITV television.

A spokeswoman for health officials in Wallsend, North Tyneside, 300 miles north of London, said the hearing was part of a process that could eventually lead to Connor being taken into protective care. She declined to comment further.

The health agencies organizing the meeting said they "have been working with the family over a prolonged period of time and will continue to do so."

Officials would not say whether Connor suffered from a medical condition that led to his obesity, citing privacy issues.

An unidentified health official was quoted as telling The Sunday Times that taking custody of Connor would be a last resort, but said the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.

"Child abuse is not just about hitting your children or sexually abusing them, it is also about neglect," the official was quoted as saying.

Dr. Colin Waine, the director of the National Obesity Forum in Nottingham, England, called Connor's lifestyle "extremely dangerous," adding he is at risk of developing diabetes in his early teens, and cardiovascular and nervous system problems in his 20s.

"He's really at risk of dying by the time he's 30," Waine said.

Dr. Michael Markiewicz, a pediatrician, agreed.

"I'm not saying they can't care for him, but what they are doing is through the way they are treating him and feeding him, they are slowly killing him," he said.

Connor's case attracted national attention after his mother allowed an ITV News crew to film his day-to-day life over the course of a month.

Connor's mother said he steals and hides food, frustrating her efforts to help him. He eats double or triple what a normal seven-year-old would have, she said.

"If I didn't give him enough at teatime then he would just go on at us all night for snacks and stuff," she told ITV.

Connor, who lives with his mother and sister, has difficulty dressing and washing himself, misses school regularly because of poor health, and is targeted by bullies.

"People pick on us because of my weight. They call us fat. It makes us feel sick of the nutters always shouting at us," Connor told ITV.

Even though this is happening in England, this could be anywhere in the world. Personally, I think this is abuse and the child should be taken away. If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.

There really is no excuse for a child of 8 years old to be this overweight. He looks to be at least 12 or 13 years old.

Chris
Old 02-26-07, 06:32 PM   #2
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

The British government is just saving Hansel in the above pictured case. Had they acted sooner, his sister would still be alive.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 02-26-07, 06:38 PM   #3
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see a problem with it.

-p
Old 02-26-07, 06:40 PM   #4
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I have seen a show on this case. The boy has a disease where he cannot tell he is full. Unchecked, he could easily eat himself to death. Not death from obesity, but death from one fatal buffet sitting because he doesn't stop eating.

So, it is kind of a misrepresentation to say that they are taking him away for being obese. They are taking him away because the mom can't control him breaking the locks on the cabinets that have the food in them (that was the actual problem, as I recall).
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-26-07, 06:51 PM   #5
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Just for curiosity, how heavy should an 8 year old boy be?
Old 02-26-07, 06:57 PM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

My son is almost 8, in the second grade, and taller than all but two 4th graders. He is about 85 poiunds.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-26-07, 07:09 PM   #7
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The article makes it sound like the mother doesn't make the effort to help him. She refuses to show up for counseling and medical appointments and overfeeds him because he'll nag her if he doesn't. Based on that information it sounds like she's unfit to care for him properly. Putting locks on the cabinets does sound like an effort though. She needs the professional guidance to handle the situation and refusal to cooperate would justify removing him from her care.
Old 02-26-07, 07:11 PM   #8
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have seen a show on this case. The boy has a disease where he cannot tell he is full. Unchecked, he could easily eat himself to death. Not death from obesity, but death from one fatal buffet sitting because he doesn't stop eating.
That was the plot of a CSI episode last year where a guy was chained to his chair to keep him from eating.
Old 02-26-07, 07:19 PM   #9
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred
That was the plot of a CSI episode last year where a guy was chained to his chair to keep him from eating.
It was right around Thanksgiving, as I recall. That is the same thing this boy has, iirc.
Old 02-26-07, 07:38 PM   #10
stevevt
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
My son is almost 8, in the second grade, and taller than all but two 4th graders. He is about 85 pounds.
There's a joke in here somewhere that plays on the fact that pounds = money in England. I'm imagining a Photochop where the kid has 85 pounds in his hands and makes an offer on your son, and it's somehow made clear that he intends to eat him.
Old 02-26-07, 07:46 PM   #11
Cosmosguy
Cool New Member

So are they going to start placing teenage girls with anorexia in protective custody if their parents can't make them eat? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.
Old 02-26-07, 07:49 PM   #12
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

That is one HARD lookin' woman.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 02-26-07, 07:57 PM   #13
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosguy
So are they going to start placing teenage girls with anorexia in protective custody if their parents can't make them eat? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.
Yup, pretty much. On paper, it makes some sense. However, this sort of thing, if actually put into practice, sounds like a symptom of an America that has lost its last grasp on the concept of liberty.

Perhaps if government could show some reasonable self-restraint and restrict involvement to only the most extreme cases...but that won't happen.
Old 02-26-07, 08:03 PM   #14
SamDVDCompare

I live in the UK and just watched a 30 minute TV special about this family a few years ago. The kid can eat, but his mother has done nothing to stop him and blaming it on the authorities is just as irresponsible. Whilst I believe she is an extremely poor parent however, I really don't think that putting an 8 year old kid into care is going to help matters. Instead of being an eight year old fatty, he will become an eight year old fatty who hates the world.
Old 02-26-07, 08:07 PM   #15
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS
Yup, pretty much. On paper, it makes some sense. However, this sort of thing, if actually put into practice, sounds like a symptom of an America that has lost its last grasp on the concept of liberty.
Or, in this particular case, Britain.

No doubt, if taken away from their parents and thrown into "the system" these children can thrive, and grow up to be serial killers.

The kid will be booted from foster home to foster home due to the behavioral problems, and turn out even more fucked up than if left with his parents. At least, that's my prediction.
Old 02-26-07, 08:37 PM   #16
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

The boy obviously has Prader-Willi Syndrome, which also means he has mental retardation (which can range from moderate to severe) and quite possibly other serious medical conditions such as seizure disorder, autism, and even severe behavioral issues. Im sure its just not the fact that he is obese. He wont go to a foster home per se (Im not sure how it is in Britian) but here in NY for example he would be part of a community agency where the family would be an integral part of his support and care.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 02-26-07, 09:11 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Even though this is happening in England, this could be anywhere in the world. Personally, I think this is abuse and the child should be taken away. If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.
So, being different means that it's ok for a bully to kill him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDVDCompare
I live in the UK and just watched a 30 minute TV special about this family a few years ago. The kid can eat, but his mother has done nothing to stop him and blaming it on the authorities is just as irresponsible. Whilst I believe she is an extremely poor parent however, I really don't think that putting an 8 year old kid into care is going to help matters. Instead of being an eight year old fatty, he will become an eight year old fatty who hates the world.
His hatred of the world will probably be partly based on people calling him 'fatty'.

Off the top of my head, I would say that if we get to a point where kids can be removed from their homes for being too fat, then we also have to remove kids in these situations --

If the parents smoke (second hand smoke and passing the addiction to the kid).
If the parents drink (passing the addiction to the kid, and people who drink are statistically more prone to violence).
If the parents are too poor.
It the family lives in an economically depressed area (with high crime rates).

Funny thing is, as crazy as this sounds, I can see someone making those arguments.
Old 02-26-07, 09:22 PM   #18
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
If not, he will be dead by his 20's or maybe even earlier if he gets on the wrong side of a bully.
Wouldn't it be him doing the bulling? Threaten to sit on them or crush them up against stuff.

I don't see where the kid is putting all those pounds. Yes, he looks fat but not 200+ fat.
Old 02-26-07, 09:37 PM   #19
dadaluholla
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Only if he plans on eating him after killing him. That would be a lot of good meat going to waste.
Old 02-26-07, 09:46 PM   #20
Lee Harvey Oswald

Yes, if the parents don't make an improvement. Especially, if the parents are buying their kids big macs four times a day or something like that.
Old 02-26-07, 11:24 PM   #21
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness

Welcome CreamyGoodness to the Other, I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm condoning violence against a kid. I hate bullies, gang members, anyone that preys on the weak and this kid is weak.

Chris
Old 02-26-07, 11:29 PM   #22
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
Yes, if the parents don't make an improvement. Especially, if the parents are buying their kids big macs four times a day or something like that.
I think it is time for the government to make a parental handbook so that everyone knows under what circumstances their children can be taken away, and what will constitute adequate improvement in all other areas.
Old 02-26-07, 11:33 PM   #23
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by resinrats
Wouldn't it be him doing the bulling? Threaten to sit on them or crush them up against stuff.

I don't see where the kid is putting all those pounds. Yes, he looks fat but not 200+ fat.
He looks to be at least 4' 8" and if his weight is evenly distributed on his body, it wouldn't stand out.

Chris
Old 02-27-07, 12:24 AM   #24
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it should be done,the mother is basically killing the kid
Old 02-27-07, 01:16 AM   #25
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

What the hell is the point of having kids if we don't have that right, I say.
Sponsored Links