Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-23-07, 11:09 AM   #1
shifrbv
Banned

Interesting Thread on Highland Park, MI - Anyone Ever Been There?

I was shocked that this place exists and that it's so creepy. It looks like a place frozen in time. It also seems extremely sad that such a place full of promise is now reduced to this.

**WARNING - Some pictures in the link are pretty graphic and may not be suitable for those who may be viewing this while at work. **

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ead.php?t=8752

So...Highland Park is (ahem--WAS) an independent city within Detroit, and once upon a time a beautiful center of human achievement, largely driven by Henry Ford's philanthropic efforts in civic planning, etc, and his newly built Model-T Plant, the most gigantic, state of the art factory in the world at that time. It was here that the Assembly Line was perfected, and the “$5 day,” thus changing the industrial world, and the world of labor as we know it forever. If you ever wondered why the standard workday is 8hrs long…it’s because Henry Ford said so. This is also the site of the world’s first expressway, “The Davison,” or M-8. Highland Park might've easily been America's most promising city, with flourishing, highly affluent neighborhoods and institutions.

Today, however, it is America’s most destroyed city, and those neighborhoods have been mostly erased by arson and swallowed by vegetation.

It’s some kind of apocalyptic, post-nuclear, post-Robocop sort of surreality. I couldn’t help but feel like I was in a scene from HG Well’s “The Time Machine”…or “Omega Man”…or “28 Days Later”…or any other movie about the final collapse of civilization. The deserted streets, the detritus, the farm country-like silence…the foreboding congregation of dark, hollow skyscrapers to the south…. Probly the only place in the world that could be creepier would have to be Chernobyl. It felt like we were in some kind of video game like “Resident Evil.”

Last edited by shifrbv; 02-23-07 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:21 AM   #2
aerobson

Yup, unfortunately, it's as nice as the pictures. Located right in the middle of beautiful downtown Detroit.

I used to work right down the street from the Highland Park city limits. There are normal areas of the city, but it's basically just a run down forgotten area. I've given some presentations in the high school. If I remember correctly, the school had a giant polar bear statue. That might be their mascot. It was more of a holding cell rather than a high school. Sad really.

8-Bit Brigade Check us out!
Old 02-23-07, 11:22 AM   #3
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

it's toyota's fault

and it seems like detroit's government is a bunch of morons
Old 02-23-07, 12:43 PM   #4
reverie
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard of it plenty, but never been near it in my handful of years living maybe 45 minutes from there. Really interesting, and if I wouldn't fear for my life, it looks like a place I'd have loved to explore as a kid (It's harder to do those sorts of things as an adult, instead of mischevious fun/exploration, it suddenly becomes trespassing and trouble with the police ).
Old 02-23-07, 01:34 PM   #5
Fielding Mellish
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Just drove through there on Tuesday.

Guess I should've stopped by for some free live ammunition.
Old 02-23-07, 02:34 PM   #6
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks creepy. What happened to it? Is it overrun with gangs or something?
Old 02-23-07, 02:41 PM   #7
aerobson

It's abandoned. No gangs, but probably lots of drug dealers and vagrants. The city tried running itself independently from Detroit. It's like an island within the city limits of Detroit. They were basically mismanaged and ran out of money. All of the city service buildings you see there were just abandoned when the money ran out. I believe that most of the necessary functions have been taken over by Detroit.

8-Bit Brigade Check us out!
Old 02-23-07, 07:26 PM   #8
MANBREASTS

Highland Park should rent out it's city to hollywood to shoot horror movies.
Old 02-23-07, 07:43 PM   #9
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Something tells me this individual is going to show up in some Otter photochops soon.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 02-23-07, 09:57 PM   #10
Pikul
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that Nona Hendryx?

A list of famous people from Highland Park:

Tim Meadows
Old 02-23-07, 11:34 PM   #11
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget the Ghostly City Beneath the City!!
Old 02-24-07, 12:07 AM   #12
king slug
Banned

It's Detroit, what do you expect?

Remember Boblo Island though? I miss that place.
Old 02-24-07, 09:15 AM   #13
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by king slug
It's Detroit, what do you expect?

Remember Boblo Island though? I miss that place.
haha....me too. I would love to see some pic of Boblo Island. That place was run down 20 years ago.

"Gentlemen, when two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry we must always pay strict attention."
Old 02-24-07, 11:21 AM   #14
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto
haha....me too. I would love to see some pic of Boblo Island. That place was run down 20 years ago.
It was sold to a developer. The amusement park is all torn down, removed, and the whole island is VERY expensive homes. I've seen a few pictures, but never been there (since it was redeveloped) as it is WAY out of my price range.
Old 02-25-07, 03:43 PM   #15
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

FYI: 8 mile (of eminem fame) is the northern border of Highland Park. and yes, the "city" is a shithole of frightening proportions. I went to a concert at the state fairgrounds that are in the middle of it and feared for my life the entire time.
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 02-25-07, 03:52 PM   #16
Groucho

Wow. The Wikipedia article on the subject doesn't talk about this at all. Indeed, here's the one and only photo they have:

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-25-07, 04:00 PM   #17
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kinda like Centralia, PA. They had an underground mine fire and now it is a ghost town.
Old 02-25-07, 07:51 PM   #18
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man do I miss Boblo, that place used to be so much fun!!!!

The actual article won't come up for me.....

Someone feared for their life at the State Fair? LOL! Which is not in Highland Park by the way. And Highland Park is not in downtown Detroit either. You suburbanites need to stop commenting on a place you pass through once in blue moon.

It's a place that has seen much better days, but there isn't a ghost town quality, I don't feel like I'm an extra in 28 Days Later when I shop or travel through there, because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks). As a matter fact a there have been quite a few new stores which just opened. It's located just south of a really expensive and exclusive neighborhood called Palmer Woods.

Sorry, it's not as depressing as you might want to make of it.
Old 02-25-07, 08:03 PM   #19
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

C.H.U.D.s need a place to live too.
Old 02-25-07, 08:26 PM   #20
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz
FYI: 8 mile (of eminem fame) is the northern border of Highland Park. and yes, the "city" is a shithole of frightening proportions. I went to a concert at the state fairgrounds that are in the middle of it and feared for my life the entire time.

No. 6 Mile (McNichols) is the northern boundary. The Fairgrounds and 8 Mile are all part of Detroit. Detroit totally surrounds Highland Park. Actually, from 6 Mile to 8 mile isn't all that bad. Detroit, south of Highland Park, in my estimation is about the same, not much better, not much worse than Highland Park.

But iggystar is right, I don't pass through there much (also right that Palmer Woods is a MUCH nicer area.)
Old 02-26-07, 01:04 AM   #21
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

I was born about fifteen miles from there and spent 3+ years in the area. I really don't remember if I was ever driven through Highland Park though.
Old 02-26-07, 10:51 AM   #22
shifrbv
Banned

because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks).

I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.
Old 02-26-07, 11:47 AM   #23
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifrbv
[i] I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.
That describes Detroit about as well as Highland Park.
Old 02-26-07, 11:49 AM   #24
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDude
That describes Michigan about as well as Highland Park.
Fixed!
Old 02-26-07, 06:59 PM   #25
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifrbv

because there are still businesses there on the main street Woodward. A Hollywood Video, big grocery store, Rite Aid, CVS (where I worked at for a few weeks).

I've never been to the place, but if it went from being a town with a state of the art automobile factory to one where the public offices are boarded up and in ruins, and the main jobs are working at Hollywood Video or Rite Aid or CVS, that seems pretty depressing to me.
A state of the art automobile factory that has been gone since before I (or my mother) could remember...you cannot miss what you personally never had!

These businesses exist, they might not be high post, but to paint this city as some Road Warrior wasteland is simply inaccurate. It's a struggling little city, but it's not a ghost town and it's a place to shop, it's not as depressing to me. Sorry it doesn't have an Ambercrombie & Fitch located next to the Starbucks.