Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-17-07, 05:12 PM   #1
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

S, M, L, XL, XXL is nonsense

Sometimes a medium t-shirt will fit me, and sometimes I have to buy a large. This "system" is idiotic, has no standards and needs to go away.
Old 02-17-07, 05:15 PM   #2
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
I'd be happy if they just made every T shirt in size 4-X. I sleep in 'em.
Old 02-17-07, 05:29 PM   #3
Venusian
DVD Talk Hero

Anytime someone gives away tshirts, why are they always XL?
Old 02-17-07, 05:33 PM   #4
achau9598
DVD Talk Limited Edition

probably because most of them shrink after one wash anyway ...
Old 02-17-07, 05:34 PM   #5
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian
Anytime someone gives away tshirts, why are they always XL?

Yeah, or "one size fits all"
Old 02-17-07, 05:47 PM   #6
Altimus Prime

I'm very hesitant to buy t-shirts anymore because I know sometimes a XL will fit me fine, other times it won't fit. I hate wasting my money. I have a few shirts I bought that should fit, but don't.

But what I think is even sillier is the numbering system for women's clothes. What is a "size 4," anyway? And how can someone be a "size zero"? What, does that mean if they turn sideways, you can't see them???

At least with, say, men's pants, there's a measuring system that makes sense.
Old 02-17-07, 06:15 PM   #7
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Welcome to marketing!!

Speaking of women's clothing (more has been researched about it).....look at what a 'size 2' was in '60, '70, '80, etc. They will be different. But...a size is a size, right? Nope.

-p
Old 02-17-07, 08:10 PM   #8
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Sometimes a medium t-shirt will fit me, and sometimes I have to buy a large. This "system" is idiotic, has no standards and needs to go away.

I have found that for the most part BIG MAN sizes are about right on.

Usually when I buy a 2XT shirt, it fits. I guess the cheaper brands that cut sizes to save a few pennies haven't invaded this size market just yet.

The question for me comes in when I wash it will the material shrink or not. Usually when it shrinks, it shrinks from the Tall part and leaves me with a belly button revealing shirt.

I am so glad clothes manufacturers finally caught on to larger sized clothing. When I was younger I had such an impossible time finding anything that would fit. Now that big and baggy clothes are trendy, I can actually find a lot that fit
Old 02-17-07, 08:52 PM   #9
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I usually wear a medium tee, but sometimes a big small will work or a small large will be fine. Hate it, because I despise trying things on at a store.

= J

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 02-17-07, 08:59 PM   #10
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I just do the armpit check. I hold the armpits of the shirt, and tuck them into my armpits. If I can do that without stretching the shirt, it fits.
Old 02-17-07, 09:38 PM   #11
Hiro11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm with the OP on this one. I'm a medium but you never know. It's to the point where I have to try on everything I want to buy, even if I already own clothing from that particular store or brand and think I know what size fits me.

Actually, I've found that even the same size of the same article of clothing can vary widely.
Old 02-17-07, 09:42 PM   #12
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes I can wear a small, usually a medium, sometimes a large (especially if it's a t-shirt).

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 02-17-07, 09:43 PM   #13
innocentfreak
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I always have is the shirt is never long enough. I am only 6'0 but I have a long torso so I end up wearing 2xL. Even those nowadays are getting wider and shorter nowadays. Then I will see some kid in the mall that has a tshirt that goes down to his knees and I am always tempted to ask him where the hell he shops.
Old 02-17-07, 09:46 PM   #14
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

It does seem stupid to have the same size be different with different brands. Shoes are the same way. If something universal was adopted, it would make shopping online much easier.
Old 02-17-07, 10:04 PM   #15
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

I will wear an XL just for the reason of shrinkage after repeated washes. If it doesn't shrink, that's fine, too, since I wear things oversized anyway.
Old 02-17-07, 10:19 PM   #16
Lee Harvey Oswald

I bought a bunch of medium sized white shirts at Target to wear under other shirts. I tried one on and it fit great, so I figured they'd all fit since they were all M's. I was wrong, after I cut the tags off and washed them they all fit differently. Some are as tight as smalls and others are baggy as a L or XL.
Old 02-17-07, 10:24 PM   #17
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
The problem I always have is the shirt is never long enough. I am only 6'0 but I have a long torso so I end up wearing 2xL. Even those nowadays are getting wider and shorter nowadays. Then I will see some kid in the mall that has a tshirt that goes down to his knees and I am always tempted to ask him where the hell he shops.
Yeah that's another problem. Not only is the width inconsistent, but the length as well.

It's fine in a store cause you can try them on, but if your order you have to guess. I ordered a t-shirt from cafepress a while back and it was a 'M'edium. Well it was too small. Luckily, after filling out the return form on their site (and expecting to pay shipping to send it back, and get a new one), I got an email from one of their customer reps telling me they'd send a new one at no charge, and that I could keep the original one too.
Old 02-17-07, 10:29 PM   #18
Snorker

I'm writing a letter to God and complaining that he didn't make people in consistent S, M, L, XL, and XXL sizes. All of this variation is infuriating!
Old 02-17-07, 11:18 PM   #19
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

And why don't they have dressing rooms for men in a women's clothing store?

I'm jes' saying!
Old 02-17-07, 11:26 PM   #20
Just Lurking
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do places charge a couple dollars more for XXL and bigger but not less for XS or smaller?
Old 02-17-07, 11:37 PM   #21
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris
So instead of a size, they should just write SHIRT on the tag? Or Skinny for S, Manly for M and Large ManBoobs for L?

Look, it's not the system. It's the fact that shirts are mass produced today. The presses constantly need resetting, and nothing is hand cut anymore (unless you pay through the nose).

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 02-17-07, 11:46 PM   #22
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking
Why do places charge a couple dollars more for XXL and bigger but not less for XS or smaller?
Plus size clothing is more expensive to manufacture because the Malaysian children who make it are periodically crushed to death by the amount of fabric needed for one Hawaiian shirt.
Old 02-17-07, 11:56 PM   #23
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So instead of a size, they should just write SHIRT on the tag? Or Skinny for S, Manly for M and Large ManBoobs for L?

Look, it's not the system. It's the fact that shirts are mass produced today. The presses constantly need resetting, and nothing is hand cut anymore (unless you pay through the nose).
The presses constantly need resetting? What the heck is that supposed to mean? That the people who reset them are either idiots or the standards as to what these acronyms really mean in terms of actual sizes are so vague and/or varied that they become almost meaningless.
Old 02-18-07, 12:25 AM   #24
TimeandTide
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Even worse are the different fits of XL tees at Lucky (and Gap). Their XL tees vary in size so I usually have to take a pile of a dozen or so into the dressing room just to find a couple that will fit right.
Old 02-18-07, 01:13 AM   #25
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork
Plus size clothing is more expensive to manufacture because the Malaysian children who make it are periodically crushed to death by the amount of fabric needed for one Hawaiian shirt.