Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-19-06, 12:47 AM   #1
Ravenous
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What constitutes a woman being a "whore"?

My sister likes to question my choice of women needless to say and weve been having a heated discussion on this topic. I hope this doesnt get closed because im curious on 'standards'. Im obviously not calling anyone here a whore so maybe this isnt too racy.

So if a woman likes to date alot of guys, but doesnt offically call them a boyfriend (just seeing someone), is she a whore? Or does it depend on if she is seeing alot of guys at once or one after the other? IE, if its one after the other shes not, but if like 5 guys at once seeing who matches up, that makes her the whore?

Basically, in todays age, woman can be considered a whore when compared to lifestyle choices back in the day. Now that times are a changing has the bar been raised?

For me a whore is a girl that sees alot of guys openly, is open about it, doesnt try to protect her image, and does everything possible to get laid or whatever asap, even with someone they just met. For instance in public theyre all over someone they just met or openly allow friends to question or comment on their promiscuity.

So anyone have any thoughts? Typing it all out makes me feel Im defending someone who shouldnt be getting my support

My (Too Many) DVDs
Wii Friend Code: 2036-1088-5135-3045
Mario Kart Wii Code: 1977-0748-1136
Old 11-19-06, 12:54 AM   #2
Bronkster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woman seeing guys = whore
Guy seeing women = stud

Go figure
Old 11-19-06, 01:09 AM   #3
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

A "whore" is someone who frequently lowers standards in exchange for something. In the sexual context, a whore would be someone who has sex with people to get attention or become popular or advance in his/her career. If a woman has sex with a lot of guys simply because she likes having sex and doesn't really give a shit what prudes like you think about it, she's not necessarily a whore; she's just promiscuous.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-19-06, 01:20 AM   #4
Ravenous

Are you calling me the prude or just in general? I dont see how I make myself seem the prude. I swear das whenever I make a thread here in the other section theres always a little jab from you I never considered the exchange for something though that is the root of the word whore.

However does that make the seeing of multiple men at once as just being promiscuous and no longer in the whore standard? How about, would a whore go out of her way to make sure she is not seen as a whore, or would there be a form of self aware guilt that makes her feel she has to defend something she is or isnt?

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 11-19-06, 01:23 AM   #5
Arpeggi
Banned

A whore is an ugly woman who is with a lot of men.
Old 11-19-06, 01:26 AM   #6
Ravenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
A whore is an ugly woman who is with a lot of men.
I hear that!

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 11-19-06, 01:40 AM   #7
bunkaroo
DVD Talk Legend

Whereas a slut is a hot woman who is with a lot of men....
Old 11-19-06, 02:04 AM   #8
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Generally, when she has sex in exchange for money.
Old 11-19-06, 02:19 AM   #9
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Ravenous

Are you calling me the prude or just in general? I dont see how I make myself seem the prude.
You, your sister, in general, whoever.
Quote:
Ravenous

I swear das whenever I make a thread here in the other section theres always a little jab from you
Purely coincidence, I promise. Still, to be on the safe side, stick and move.

Quote:
Ravenous

I never considered the exchange for something though that is the root of the word whore.

However does that make the seeing of multiple men at once as just being promiscuous and no longer in the whore standard?
"Whore" has a negative connotation, so people use it to refer to women who do things they find unseemly, but if there's nothing to be gained from the behavior (money, power, influence, attention, whatever), I don't think the term accurately applies. I think there are subtle differences between sluts and whores, much like the differences between geeks and nerds. Note that a whore will likely sleep with a geek or nerd, but a slut probably won't.

Quote:
Ravenous

How about, would a whore go out of her way to make sure she is not seen as a whore, or would there be a form of self aware guilt that makes her feel she has to defend something she is or isnt?
Depends on the kind of whore.

Forget all that, though. Here's a simple definition:

If you're a woman, a whore is someone who is prettier than you are. If you're a man, a whore is someone who sleeps with everyone but you.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-19-06 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 02:24 AM   #10
Tommy Ceez
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Since you are wondering based on what another woman thinks is a whore (your sister) then we must use this definition of whore

Whore (via female) - Anyone who looks better, is more popular, has more money, dresses better, has a better job, or gets more attention from men than the speaker
Old 11-19-06, 02:50 AM   #11
Ravenous

Ahhh Slut. Something strangley missing from my (or mine and my sis) vocabulary. das you hit the nail in the head saying a whore will likely sleep with a geek or nerd, but a slut probably won't.

Therefore referring to a woman as a whore shouldnt be accurate unless there is some type of payment or rewards for her, whereas a slut thinks of herself as having standards.

What are the subtle differences between them though?

My (Too Many) DVDs
Old 11-19-06, 03:35 AM   #12
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous
das you hit the nail in the head saying a whore will likely sleep with a geek or nerd, but a slut probably won't.
Reeee.....eely?

Waxin' myself now. (When are the whores due?)
Old 11-19-06, 09:28 AM   #13
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudama
Reeee.....eely?

Waxin' myself now. (When are the whores due?)
Sorry. In your area, there are nothing but sluts.
Old 11-19-06, 09:39 AM   #14
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

yeah whores do it for money

sluts do it because they like it

That being said, most women are whores, they just won't admit it. If or once they sleep with a guy (many times before), it is now expected that said guy will buy them things or pay their bills or something.

I have known girls in both categories, sluts are far more fun
Old 11-19-06, 09:44 AM   #15
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Whore --> Name you call a woman who won't sleep with you.

A whore obviously does it for money.

"a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet."

Shall I next start a thread looking for the definition of enervate or any other word I wonder about?

NearysEpiphany was right.
Old 11-19-06, 09:56 AM   #16
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Whores enervate society?
Old 11-19-06, 09:58 AM   #17
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

NearysEpiphany was right.
Old 11-19-06, 10:04 AM   #18
X
Administrator

I think a whore does it for something that people consider of value, not just money. Status, meals, trips, etc.

Her object is to get something out of the deal other than a 50-50 relationship or casual fun.
Old 11-19-06, 10:06 AM   #19
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
A "whore" is someone who frequently lowers standards in exchange for something. In the sexual context, a whore would be someone who has sex with people to get attention or become popular or advance in his/her career. If a woman has sex with a lot of guys simply because she likes having sex and doesn't really give a shit what prudes like you think about it, she's not necessarily a whore; she's just promiscuous.

das

...or a slut, like Meredith Grey.

I agree with your definition. I would also add that a golddigger (any woman who dates or marries for money/goods/services) is a whore.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-19-06, 10:32 AM   #20
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Ahhh Slut. Something strangley missing from my (or mine and my sis) vocabulary. das you hit the nail in the head saying a whore will likely sleep with a geek or nerd, but a slut probably won't.

Therefore referring to a woman as a whore shouldnt be accurate unless there is some type of payment or rewards for her, whereas a slut thinks of herself as having standards.

What are the subtle differences between them though?
This calls for more RESEARCH!!!

I can see the ad in the paper now:

Are you a slut? Are you a whore? We need you for a scientific research project. Travel expenses paid.

The ones that don't put out until you reimburse their travel expenses will be the whores.
Old 11-19-06, 10:58 AM   #21
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Whore, Slut, Promoscious....are all words for women who like to have the sex. What's wrong with that?

-p
Old 11-19-06, 11:02 AM   #22
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

A whore is any woman who has broken up with you.

The Official Cabinet
Old 11-19-06, 11:09 AM   #23
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

According to my friends, most of the women I date are whores....not sure how I feel about that, but at least my friends feel like they can be honest with me.

Ya know those Tag commercials.....I think i'm wearing, "Whore" a knock-off brand that only works on the looser women in the community.

-p
Old 11-19-06, 11:09 AM   #24
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't a whore a woman who gets paid to have sex with you? If you aren't paying for sex with a woman who has sex with lots of guys, she's probably just a slut or a skank, but not a whore.
Old 11-19-06, 11:12 AM   #25
MANBREASTS

Women do things that I don't think men will do, Take a music concert for instance, if there's a really popular band in concert women will give head to roadies just so they can get backstage and give head to the band. You would never see a bunch of guys at a pussycat dolls show who would eat the pussy of a bunch of big sweaty female roadies so they could meet the band. And look at those girls gone wild videos, do you think if a group of women with camcorders went up to guys at springbreak and offered them a free t shirt to pull their cock out for the cameras they would do it, I don't think so. Women put out, or give head because they want a guy to like them or they want to be popular. Guys fuck because we want to. I don't think there's ever been a time in a guys life where he was dating a woman and she said, you know if you really loved me you would eat my pussy, and then he did it so she wouldn't leave or cheat on him.
Sponsored Links