Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-06, 01:42 PM   #1
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

question for nutritionists

Is this a healthy daily intake of calories/fat:

total daily intake:
1940 calories
56 g fat
28.5 g sat. fat
205 g carbs
123 g protein

I weigh about 215 lbs, 6 feet tall, trying to get rid of my beer belly and love handles.

40-30-30 Diet Calculator shows me this:
40% Carbohydrates = 200 Grams/Day
30% Proteins = 150 Grams/Day
30% Fats = 67 Grams/Day

I also exercise 3 times a week for 1-2 hours.
Old 08-22-06, 05:08 PM   #2
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

I would say it would depend on your goals...Calorie-wise, you are probably good, and I think maintaining a 40-30-30 breakdown is good. If it were me, I would drop the carb count a little bit and up the protein and healthy fats a tad for dropping body weight and adding lean muscle. But if you are strictly going for total weight loss, you're probably pretty good. I may want to add more exercise days, and cut back on the amount of time you workout say 5 days @ 45 mins. Just my opinion for a studying nutritionist/exercise scientist.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 08-22-06, 06:46 PM   #3
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm no nutritionist, but milk shakes are delicious.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 08-22-06, 06:57 PM   #4
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i'd guess knowing what you eat is more important than the calorie intake
Old 08-22-06, 07:06 PM   #5
Howiefan
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should switch to the new Deb diet: eat whatever you want and don't move at all all day. I hear it works wonders!
Old 08-22-06, 07:07 PM   #6
JohnSlider
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too struggled with weight loss, I found the best thing is to limit yourself to water, and low-carb, high protein meals. Lots of cardio, cycling, running, powerwalking, and then after you've lost some join a gym and start lifting. It takes months, but it is so worth it.
Old 08-22-06, 07:22 PM   #7
atari2600
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiefan
You should switch to the new Deb diet: eat whatever you want and don't move at all all day. I hear it works wonders!

Dr. Nick: "With my new diet, you can eat as much as you want, any time you want!"
Marge: "And you'll lose weight?"
Dr. Nick: "You might! It's a free country!"
Old 08-22-06, 08:21 PM   #8
bballing
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really does depend on what you are eating, but just looking at the numbers, your saturated fat intake is a bit high.
Old 08-22-06, 09:26 PM   #9
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Also candy.

Candy is delicious.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 08-22-06, 11:29 PM   #10
dave-o
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would cut that saturated fat way, way down and replace it with more of the poly and mono fats. I try to eat as little saturated fats as possible The good fats are much healthier for you and will probably make your weight loss goals a lot easier to achieve.
Old 08-23-06, 12:26 AM   #11
Mole177
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

up the protein intake.
Old 08-23-06, 01:38 AM   #12
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

No. That's way too much saturated fat, and unless you're just munching on avocados all day, I'd be surprised if it weren't accompanied by a bunch of trans fatty acids as well.

Also, unless you're on some wacky fad diet, "carbs" is a meaningless value without knowing where they're coming from. To be blunt, any system that treats all fats the same or all carbs the same is full of shit and completely useless.

Cut out those saturated fats to begin with (as much as possible -- you can't avoid everything, and nachos = yummy), and depending on where those carbs are coming from, you may need an adjustment there as well.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-23-06, 08:40 AM   #13
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
No. That's way too much saturated fat, and unless you're just munching on avocados all day, I'd be surprised if it weren't accompanied by a bunch of trans fatty acids as well.

Also, unless you're on some wacky fad diet, "carbs" is a meaningless value without knowing where they're coming from. To be blunt, any system that treats all fats the same or all carbs the same is full of shit and completely useless.

Cut out those saturated fats to begin with (as much as possible -- you can't avoid everything, and nachos = yummy), and depending on where those carbs are coming from, you may need an adjustment there as well.

das
agree with das on this 100%

eat less and move around more, but don't eat a tub of crisco with a spork
Old 08-23-06, 09:54 AM   #14
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
I would say it would depend on your goals...Calorie-wise, you are probably good, and I think maintaining a 40-30-30 breakdown is good. If it were me, I would drop the carb count a little bit and up the protein and healthy fats a tad for dropping body weight and adding lean muscle. But if you are strictly going for total weight loss, you're probably pretty good. I may want to add more exercise days, and cut back on the amount of time you workout say 5 days @ 45 mins. Just my opinion for a studying nutritionist/exercise scientist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
Thanks Fantastic and Das and anyone else.

I'm honestly not on any diet. I just took what I am currently eating and computed the totals above.

The transfat appears to be zero for my daily intake. Very low cholesteral also.

The consumption has mainly been breakfast and lunch, then small snack here and there, and a light dinner.

Starting today I'm switching to an around-the-clock eating pattern where I will eat a light breakfast, and then once an hour for the rest of the day until 5, and a light dinner.

Right now my metobolism is WAY SLOW, so hopefully that will speed things up and make losing easier. I'm going to increase my dietary fiber a bit too, and exercise more regularly.

Cutting out the sat. fats will be tricky, but I will definitely work on doing so. Can anyone give me a number of sat. fat grams I should shoot for? It seems like I am under the daily % for total fat by a little, but over for saturated fat by a little. This doesn't balance out at all?

Thanks Again!

*** addition: oh yeah I think the metabolism is REALLY making the weight loss harder than it should be. much more than the slightly high amount of sat. fat. so any advice for that is especially welcome ***

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 08-23-06 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 09:56 AM   #15
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
eat less and move around more, but don't eat a tub of crisco with a spork
Cool. I've heard about this thing called walking. putting one foot in front of the other until i am moving. would you also recommend this doctor?
Old 08-23-06, 10:24 AM   #16
bballing
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Thanks Fantastic and Das and anyone else.

I'm honestly not on any diet. I just took what I am currently eating and computed the totals above.

The consumption has mainly been breakfast and lunch, then small snack here and there, and a light dinner.

Starting today I'm switching to an around-the-clock eating pattern where I will eat a light breakfast, and then once an hour for the rest of the day until 5, and a light dinner.

Right now my metobolism is WAY SLOW, so hopefully that will speed things up and make losing easier. I'm going to increase my dietary fiber a bit too, and exercise more regularly.

Cutting out the sat. fats will be tricky, but I will definitely work on doing so. Can anyone give me a number of sat. fat grams I should shoot for? It seems like I am under the daily % for total fat by a little, but over for saturated fat by a little. This doesn't balance out at all?

Thanks Again!

*** addition: oh yeah I think the metabolism is REALLY making the weight loss harder than it should be. much more than the slightly high amount of sat. fat. so any advice for that is especially welcome ***

If you have a slow metabolism you are going to need to try eating more often, maybe 5-6 smaller meals a day, and that might not work for you, but something that will for sure is lifting. A little muscle goes a long way in terms of average calories burned per day. It will work harder for you.
Old 08-23-06, 10:29 AM   #17
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballing
If you have a slow metabolism you are going to need to try eating more often, maybe 5-6 smaller meals a day, and that might not work for you, but something that will for sure is lifting. A little muscle goes a long way in terms of average calories burned per day. It will work harder for you.
Right now I do a lot of cardio, either jogging or raquetball, and some lifting. I'm joining a different gym (had a 3 day a week membership before) with full access so I plan on lifting 2 times a week, and increasing it to 3 at some point.

However, what's the point of having these muscles if you only lift with them? Isn't lifting itself a poor activity for burning calories. Doesn't it make more sense to focus on cardio first instead of lifting, ie using the muscles you already have?
Old 08-23-06, 10:31 AM   #18
bballing
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

You sure? Almost every kind of processed food or snack contains trans fat, though, the recent trend has been to include some snacks that contain little or none.

That said, it is still all over the place in bread, chips, cereal, crackers, cookies, fried foods, so unless you are buying your snacks from a health food store or making your own snacks, you might be consuming some trans fat.

If you see shortening, or hydrogenated anything on the ingredients, that is trans fat.
Old 08-23-06, 10:40 AM   #19
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I realize I am a little extreme to the no fat side and the no sugar side, but that is the method that helped me lose weight so i have reason to be

I would say:

0g transfat - not flexible

0g to maybe 5g of sat fat - or maybe try to keep 5 out of 7 days at 0g, then live it up 2 days

Make most of the rest of your fat intake from monosaturated fats and Essential fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats. - you can google those terms to find exact food items that fit the categories.

add 30g a day of fiber

do not eat any refined suger (this includes white bread).

That is the quick story.
Old 08-23-06, 10:40 AM   #20
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

You sure? Almost every kind of processed food or snack contains trans fat, though, the recent trend has been to include some snacks that contain little or none.

Yep I'm positive. 0 grams trans fat
Old 08-23-06, 10:53 AM   #21
bballing
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Right now I do a lot of cardio, either jogging or raquetball, and some lifting. I'm joining a different gym (had a 3 day a week membership before) with full access so I plan on lifting 2 times a week, and increasing it to 3 at some point.

However, what's the point of having these muscles if you only lift with them? Isn't lifting itself a poor activity for burning calories. Doesn't it make more sense to focus on cardio first instead of lifting, ie using the muscles you already have?

You missed my point. The reason adding muscle is so beneficial for people trying to lose weight is because fat is not an active tissue. Muscle is. And the more you have, the more efficient your body is at burning calories just doing nothing.

Several studies have shown that men can increase their metabolism by as much as 10% in only 5 months with a simple lifting routine.

You will burn more calories with the cardio (daily), but in the long run, the weights are key.

Last edited by bballing; 08-23-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 10:55 AM   #22
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballing
You missed my point. The reason adding muscle is so beneficial for people trying to lose weight is because fat is not an active tissue. Muscle is. And the more you have, the more efficient your body is at burning calories just doing nothing.

Several studies have shown that men can increase their metabolism by as much as 10% in only 5 months with a simple lifting routine.

You will burn more calories with the cardio, but in the long run, the weights are key.

Right I think we are saying the same thing and agreeing. One supports the other.
Old 08-23-06, 10:56 AM   #23
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Gallant Pig

You have to do what works for you, but eating every hour may be a little too frequent. Having a light dinner is a good idea, but eating a solid breakfast isn't a bad thing. You'd likely be better off eating a little more at breakfast and a little less during your mid-day snacks if it works for you. I guess it all depends on what you plan to eat every hour. Eating a good breakfast gets your metabolism kicked in early, and snacking regularly keeps it chugging through the day.

As for saturated fats, they're just bad for you. You should strive to never eat them. Obviously that's not possible, but there's really no gram amount that's good, and the RDA values are somewhat useless in this area. Right now, half of your fat intake is saturated. That's just not healthy on any level. Don't hide from fats, and if you want to use 30-30-40 for overall fat content, that's fine, just try to get it from mono/polyunsaturated sources. And I'm curious to see what you're eating that is so high in saturated fat with no trans fats. There are certainly many foods that are like this, but you'd still have to make a conscious effort to get that much saturated fat with no trans fats.

Quote:
Gallant Pig

Muscles need calories to survive, and they consume them 24/7. Studies show a pound of muscle is likely to consume 30-50 calories a day at rest, much more than regular tissue. Cardio burns calories while you're doing it. Muscles burn calories all the live long day. Both are effective in different ways, but you shouldn't shy away from lifting to lose fat. Sure, muscles have weight, but unless you're a crackwhore supermodel or weighing in for a boxing match, you shouldn't care about raw pounds. If you turned all the fat in your belly into muscle, I'm sure you'd be quite happy with the results. Yes, the process of lifting won't burn as many calories as cardio, but by stressing your muslces and rebuilding them with the protein you're consuming in your diet, you'll burn more calories over time and sustain it better. When talking about ways to increase your metabolism, this is a major area.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-23-06, 02:39 PM   #24
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Das is basically correct, and its the reason why I mentioned it was based on your goals...Fat loss and weight loss are 2 seperate things. But the only way to increase your metabolism is through a proper diet, weight training, and high intensity training. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, and dropping total weight. With cardio, you do burn more calories while doing it, but that effect stops once you stop the cardio. With weights and HIIT, you crank that metabolism up to work more while just sitting around. However, many studies show that doing the Olympic lifts (Clean, Clean and Jerk, Snatch) burns just as much calories as running, plus you get the added muscle gain and metabolism increase. If you are going for strictly weight loss, do more cardio. But if you want to reduce body fat, and increase lean muscle mass (which is probably what you want to do) do a little bit of everything. Plus damn, only doing cardio gets boring real fast.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 08-23-06, 03:21 PM   #25
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

The majority of my cardio comes from requetball, some comes from jogging.

Due to some back problems I've had for about 10 years, my weight lifting regiment is a bit limited. I can't go heavy. I stay pretty light and just go high rep. I believe that losing more weight (belly) will make my back healthier (less constant strain). So I have shied a little away from weights and plus I'd rather play raquetball then lift weights anyday. Do will be making a consious effort to lift more weights now that I can go to the gym any day of the week (vs 3 days). And I'll be getting way more serious about dropping the saturated fats way down.

I thought jogging does speed up your metabolism thought if it is for a 45 minutes or so?