Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-17-06, 05:33 PM   #1
james2025a
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bicycle Tire Problem.

I recently got a mjountain bike fromSears. I took it out of the box and fixed it all up. The problem came when i tried blowing up the tires. They don't seem to be filling at all, and air actually seems to be coming out from the small gap between the inner spokes and the rubber wheel. I wondered if it even has an innertube as the air seems to be deflating as soon as it goes in. Anyone have an idea of what to do?

I am gonna take the outer rubber wheel off and check to see it it had an inner tube. I am sure that my pump is fine, just can't see why it is losing air. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Old 08-17-06, 05:38 PM   #2
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

How could it not have a tube if you are pumping it? The valve that a pump attaches to is part of the tube.

Is it possible that you are not "locking" the pump onto the valve?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 08-17-06, 06:58 PM   #3
james2025a
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well i am locking it on no problem. This is the first bike i have had since i was a kid...so i am no expert at this as you can tell. Why would air be coming out from the gap between the outer hard rubber exterior part of the wheel if the air is going into the inner tube? The inner tube cannot have a hole as the bike has never been used. Its plain weird.
Old 08-17-06, 06:59 PM   #4
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a
The inner tube cannot have a hole as the bike has never been used. Its plain weird.
You never bought anything that was damaged right out of the box before?
Old 08-17-06, 07:00 PM   #5
covenant
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a
The inner tube cannot have a hole as the bike has never been used.
Ummm, yes it could.

Unmount the tire, take out the tube and try to pump it up by itself. If the tube is shot you can patch it or just buy another. Walmart has patch kits and tubes.

Too bad you didn't buy it from a bicycle shop where they gladly help you with stuff like this...

Last edited by covenant; 08-17-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 10:25 PM   #6
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, just take the tire off of the rim and then try to blow up the inner tube. Be sure to put some cloth around the screwdriver so you don't scratch anything up (in case you have to return it).

And Sear's is fine for a basic bike, you don't have to go to a bicycle shop.
Old 08-17-06, 10:35 PM   #7
Nefarious
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go to a local bike shop and invest $5-10 in a flat kit which will have a tire lever in it. If you are going to be riding at all you're going to want and need it anyway.

Especially if you will be doing trail riding where flats are more likely.
Old 08-17-06, 10:46 PM   #8
Nefarious
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another note: This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as you really should practice changing a tire/flat before you start riding again. You don't want to get out riding and have a flat without the tools and experience of knowing what to do.
Old 08-18-06, 07:53 AM   #9
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for taking it to a decent, locally owned bike shop. I would recommend you have it tuned up since you put it together yourself and have admitted no recent experience with a bike. They will air up the tires, true the wheels, adjust the bearings, brakes and derailleurs (including pre-stretching the cables), adjust the handlebars and seat to your size, and do a quick safety inspection. And, if they are really a decent shop, will be happy to show you how to change and/or repair your inner tube for no extra charge.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 08-18-06, 08:06 AM   #10
james2025a
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by X
You never bought anything that was damaged right out of the box before?
To be honest.....no. I moved from the UK to the US 5 years ago and i had never encountered a bike shop where you were forced to buy the thing in a box and build it yourself. I had many bikes up until my late teens and i was always able to ride them away from the store. Its pissed me off actually that they don't offer a service to build them on site for you. Would have saved a lot of hassle.
Old 08-18-06, 08:07 AM   #11
james2025a
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Another note: This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as you really should practice changing a tire/flat before you start riding again. You don't want to get out riding and have a flat without the tools and experience of knowing what to do.

I agree with you there. Its funny, but i have had a load of bikes in my past...but have never once had a flat tire. I suppossed o should look at this as a good lesson for learning.
Old 08-18-06, 08:08 AM   #12
james2025a
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the advice everyone by the way. This is why i love this site...helpful people with good insights into.....well pretty much everything.