Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-03-06, 12:05 PM   #1
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Frozen steaks- when to remove from freezer?

Obviously I prefer to never freeze them in the first place, but since scheduling last week called for it, I had little choice.

How soon is necessary to remove them from the freezer to the fridge to thaw properly? The morning before dinner? The night before?

http://savejace.info/
Old 08-03-06, 12:12 PM   #2
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

I always take out frozen meat to thaw the night before. It might be a bit too much time every once in a while, but it's preferable to having partially-frozen meat.
Old 08-03-06, 12:14 PM   #3
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Directly before cooking. This will insure a crispy brown exterior and a cool red center!
Old 08-03-06, 12:16 PM   #4
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I have found that the defrosting function on a modern microwave actually works very well.
Old 08-03-06, 12:35 PM   #5
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The night before in the fridge. If in a pinch a sink with cool running water will defrost a slab of meat in a fraction of time. Of course being in a ziploc helps.
Old 08-03-06, 12:41 PM   #6
elperdido
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-w9
Directly before cooking. This will insure a crispy brown exterior and a cool red center!
I like my steaks so rare people make faces. HOWEVER, I need to know if you mean cool red center as 'cool red' or as low in temperature.
Old 08-03-06, 12:45 PM   #7
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I meant cool as in cold, more than likely still frozen.

A honest answer would be I put them in the sink before bed, and put them into the fridge when I get up in the morning.
Old 08-03-06, 02:46 PM   #8
Jazzbutcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thawing steaks on the counter is asking for trouble, as the steak thaws from the outside in. It's a bactreria fest!

kantonburg's advice is correct.
Old 08-03-06, 06:22 PM   #9
Ginwen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg
The night before in the fridge. If in a pinch a sink with cool running water will defrost a slab of meat in a fraction of time.
That's just what I learned in food borne illness class when I worked for Marriott.
Old 08-03-06, 07:18 PM   #10
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg
The night before in the fridge. If in a pinch a sink with cool running water will defrost a slab of meat in a fraction of time. Of course being in a ziploc helps.
That's what I do. I vacuum seal everything flat, so defrosting is a snap. I like to always start from the same place when I cook, so thawing the night before will allow me to have it thaw, marinade in the morning (if applicable), then grill that night. Sometimes if I am just adding some salt and pepper, I take it out the morning of and leave in the fridge.

-p
Old 08-03-06, 08:05 PM   #11
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i usually do 2 days thawing in the fridge or a few hours on the countertop out of the fridge

if i use water, then I make sure to wrap the meat in plastic very tightly. once i listened to my mother in law and thawed meat in water and didn't like it too much