Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-31-06, 07:23 PM   #1
dave-o
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Found a lump on my dog's shoulder...what might it be?

Ok, I need the help of some knowledgable dog owners here. My 4 year old beagle has a pretty sizable lump on his left shoulder. It is firm, but not really hard, you can push it and it gives some. It is about an inch in diameter. It was not there as recently as 2 weeks ago, b/c he was at the vet for a check up then (and I would assume they would have noticed it). It doesn't seem to hurt him at all, and I would know, b/c he is the biggest wimp when it comes to pain.

Obviously I am pretty worried and I plan on getting him to the vet tommorrow as soon as they can see him. But if anyone knows anything about this and can give me an educted guess, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-31-06, 07:34 PM   #2
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

dog tick
Old 07-31-06, 07:35 PM   #3
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Fatty Lipoma? Call your Vet. There's no way to know here,
Old 07-31-06, 07:41 PM   #4
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Did he get a vaccine in that spot?

Typically a lump can form up to several weeks after a vaccine has been given. Eventually the lump will go back down again.

If the lump gets big really fast, it is something to be concerned about. If it just stays the same or goes down, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fatty tumors are not hard, robo. They tend to be mushy.
Old 07-31-06, 07:51 PM   #5
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you're taking the dog in to the vet as soon as possible since that's all I would recommend with those kinda symptoms.
Old 07-31-06, 07:52 PM   #6
dave-o

Thanks for the replies...

I was thinking about it being a reaction to a vaccine too. He had a whole bunch of them less than 2 weeks ago. Do they typically administer one in the shoulder area? It is hard to describe, it is probably more soft than hard, but it is not real mushy either.
Old 07-31-06, 08:00 PM   #7
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about the veterinarian you take your dog to but at our hospital we give rabies, distemper, and lepto in the right shoulder; giardia and corona in the left shoulder; and lyme in the left rear.

Rabies and distemper almost always cause lumps in the smaller breeds.
Old 07-31-06, 08:01 PM   #8
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllefoo

Fatty tumors are not hard, robo. They tend to be mushy.
Yeah I didn't know how they felt so that's why I put a "?" after it.
Old 07-31-06, 08:17 PM   #9
dave-o

I really appreciate the replies, it has certainly helped relieve some of my worry. I looked up vaccine reactions in dogs and it seems pretty likely that this is what is happening to my Stanley-Pup. I will get him checked out tommorrow just to be safe, but I am beginning to feel a little better about this.
Old 07-31-06, 09:28 PM   #10
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, chihuahuas have a tendency to go bald at their vaccine sites.
Old 07-31-06, 09:58 PM   #11
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

My dog gets lumps all the time. Then again my dog has a ridiculous amount of health problems and no vet has been able to help her. So basically I don't get worried when I hear about 1 lump on a dog, it's not a big deal.
Old 07-31-06, 10:27 PM   #12
xVladx

It's most likely a vaccine thing, as others have said, especially if he just got vaccinated. Our mini schnauzer just had the same thing.

Also, make sure there's not a tick or anything at the site. Dogs can sometimes generate a lump where they've been bitten by an insect.
Old 08-01-06, 10:02 AM   #13
Mikael79
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My dachshund has a lump on her chest, and my vet has determined that it's nothing serious. My girlfriend and I are convinced that my dog is trying to grow breasts in order to compete with my girlfriend's.
Old 08-01-06, 10:39 AM   #14
Cusm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be a cloged pore. Our lhaso got these on her from time to time, and they would be firm but not real hard.
XBL:Cusm PSN:DarthCusm D3:Cusm#1847
Old 08-01-06, 11:45 AM   #15
dave-o

Well I got back from the vet and it does not appear to be cancer. They aspirated it and it had puss and blood in it, but no abnormal cells. So that is a big relief.

It is really strange though, they didn't think it was from the vaccination b/c the shot he was given was on top of his back between his shoulder. This lump is lower on his side shoulder, closer to the leg. They said it is possible that the vaccine somehow affected this area but that they have never seen this before. They thought it might be from an injury like a puncture wound. I checked last night and I swear that there was no cut or dried blood anywhere.

Oh well, at least it doesn't appear too serious. I have to give him antibiotics for 20 days and put a warm compress on it 2x a day for 10 minutes at a time. Hopefullly the thing goes down and doesn't need to be aspirated again. I am still suspicious, it seems too coincidental that this happend only a little over a week after he was vaccinated with a whole slew of things...
Old 08-01-06, 01:14 PM   #16
EEz28

They probably dropped the syringe while drawing up the vaccine, forgot to change the needle, and then injected your pup causing an abscess.
Old 08-01-06, 01:48 PM   #17
dave-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEz28
They probably dropped the syringe while drawing up the vaccine, forgot to change the needle, and then injected your pup causing an abscess.
I certainly hope not, but there really is no way that I will ever know either.
Old 08-01-06, 02:00 PM   #18
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o
Well I got back from the vet and it does not appear to be cancer. They aspirated it and it had puss and blood in it, but no abnormal cells. So that is a big relief.

It is really strange though, they didn't think it was from the vaccination b/c the shot he was given was on top of his back between his shoulder. This lump is lower on his side shoulder, closer to the leg. They said it is possible that the vaccine somehow affected this area but that they have never seen this before. They thought it might be from an injury like a puncture wound. I checked last night and I swear that there was no cut or dried blood anywhere.

Oh well, at least it doesn't appear too serious. I have to give him antibiotics for 20 days and put a warm compress on it 2x a day for 10 minutes at a time. Hopefullly the thing goes down and doesn't need to be aspirated again. I am still suspicious, it seems too coincidental that this happend only a little over a week after he was vaccinated with a whole slew of things...
I am glad you had your pooch checked out. I used to have a beagle and they're one of my favorite breeds.

Just remember that humans sometimes get boils or cysts for no apparent reason, too. At least it's something easily treatable.

Give him a scratch on those velvety ears for me! I miss beagle ears ...
Old 08-01-06, 07:10 PM   #19
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

VAccine reactions like that only occur at the site of the vaccine, not in some other spot.

It's possible to have an injury without an actual cut or puncture. If the dog was bitten there could have been soft tissue injury to the area. Or, more likely, it's just a sebaceous cyst. Lots of dogs get those.
Old 08-01-06, 07:24 PM   #20
naughty jonny
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you live near Dave? Could be buckshot.

Glad to see it's not serious and he will be OK though.
Old 09-15-08, 06:26 AM   #21
theavr

Lump gone and dog ok now?

Hi Dave,

I was reading up about this lump thing (as my Staffie has one now) and I read your post. Did Stanley ever come right after that? Did the antibiotics work? Did they ever tell you what it was from?

Hope all is well.
Thanks
T
Old 09-15-08, 07:25 AM   #22
dave-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by theavr View Post
Hi Dave,

I was reading up about this lump thing (as my Staffie has one now) and I read your post. Did Stanley ever come right after that? Did the antibiotics work? Did they ever tell you what it was from?

Hope all is well.
Thanks
T
Hi Theavr,

Stanley is doing fine. The antibiotics seemed to work well. If I remember correctly it was gone within a couple of weeks. I was never able to determine exactly what it was that caused it, but I imagine that is often the case with these type of things.

I would definitely take your pooch to the vet and have him checked out, just to be safe. Good luck!