Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-06, 01:11 AM   #1
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Driving (ten miles after servicing) and car overheats. No coolant!

So today I took the Audi into my local German automobile mechanic and they replaced a coolant temperature sensor.

I drove about ten miles on the highway and suddenly the idiot light for cooling is flashing like a mother. I look at the temp gauge and notice it's on H.

I was two miles from where I had to be in ten minutes and I could not miss it. So I said screw it and drove the extra bit (side street). I know you shouldn't do that but as I said, I had to make it there in time.

As I was pulling in I could feel the heat from inside the car and I quickly shut it off. Heard some cooking noise under the engine and a burning smell.

Not good.

I immediately checked the coolant and it was bone dry.

They must have forgotten to put it back after replacing the sensor.

So five hours later I was done with my important task and had it towed to the repair place.

At first I thought about going to another mechanic I use for our other car, but it seems pretty ironclad that they are too blame.

Will they own up to what happened or say that a hose suddenly developed a leak? I saw no leaks, puddles, trailing liquid and I had four people view the empty container when I opened the hood. Also took pix of the emptiness for the hey of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 01:15 AM   #2
zekeburger1979
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,090
That sucks Buford. Hopefully, if they are good people, they'll own up to forgetting to refill the coolant and offer to fix and repairs related to the mistake free of charge. Hope everything works out!
__________________
No Good movie is ever long enough, no bad movie is ever short enough.--- Roger Ebert
I believe that a movie is not good (or bad) because of what it is about, but because of how it is about it. ---Roger Ebert

PSN Name ZacharyTF
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 01:26 AM   #3
M2theAX
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,269
This hap to me once with oil, they changed it but did not fill it up all the way
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 10:48 AM   #4
Pistol Pete
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I was two miles from where I had to be in ten minutes and I could not miss it. So I said screw it and drove the extra bit (side street). I know you shouldn't do that but as I said, I had to make it there in time.
Whatever you do, do not admit this! You pulled over as soon as the idiot light went off. Keep repeating that.
__________________
there's no prize for out-crazying Guarddog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 01:12 PM   #5
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Exactly. I would not admit it.

Of course they didn't admit they forgot the coolant.

They said the O ring must not have sealed properly on the sensor. They also maintain that the car was driven and left running for 30 minutes after the sensor replacement.

Somehow the O ring gave out the ten minutes I was driving the car.


They are looking at the car now and say it's looks "mint". Hmmmm.


The owner was smart and took the day off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 11:10 PM   #6
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 37,399
you know, similar thing happened to me. i had a mechanic install the coolant temp sensor (cts). drove maybe 20 minutes, and see the coolant light. well, the cts had popped off.

it could also have been that they didn't install the clip correctly. the cts is held in place by a clip. if you don't clip it correctly, the sensor will pop up when the coolant gets hot enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:04 AM   #7
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
So it's possible they had the problem and did put the coolant in?


They did the A/C and dipstick replacement for free for my troubles.

Now I need to hit the owner for the tow charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:10 AM   #8
Thunderball
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,584
Erm. I dunno. If I had a nice Audi, and the idiot light went off and I felt HEAT coming from under my car, i'd be on the cell phone with whomever Im meetting and explaing the proble m, then ahving it towed immediately.

Sure they may not have put the coolant back in, but you saw not 1, but 2 warning signs (heat and idiot light). You should have pulled over.
__________________
If people had followed my guidelines their wouldn't be any fluff. It was supposed to be just lists and no discussions, but I guess I was expecting too much for DVD Talkers. -Josh Hinkle
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:18 AM   #9
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 37,399
well, here is the coolant temp sensor on my car:



i'm assuming that since our cars are built on the same platform, that the coolant temp sensor is in the same location. you don't need to drain any coolant to change the cts.

also, you wanna watch out. overheating the engine could warp the head. i'd suggest you check your coolant and oil to make sure that the two fluids haven't mixed. you could have damaged the head gasket or worst, warped the head.

i'd also ask them to do a wet compression test.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:32 AM   #10
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball
Erm. I dunno. If I had a nice Audi, and the idiot light went off and I felt HEAT coming from under my car, i'd be on the cell phone with whomever Im meetting and explaing the proble m, then ahving it towed immediately.

Sure they may not have put the coolant back in, but you saw not 1, but 2 warning signs (heat and idiot light). You should have pulled over.
Well I didn't feel the heat until I was sliding into the parking lot w/the engine shut off.

Any other time I would have pulled over, but I could not miss my appointment. I had four models being paid $100 plus an hour, a stylist, a hair stylist and makeup person (all being paid $$) and two boats waiting for me. The sunset was not going to wait.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:33 AM   #11
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Thanks for the tips Phammy. I'll mention that when I talk w/the owner.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 09:43 AM   #12
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: chokin' you out in less than 30 seconds
Posts: 10,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Well I didn't feel the heat until I was sliding into the parking lot w/the engine shut off.

Any other time I would have pulled over, but I could not miss my appointment. I had four models being paid $100 plus an hour, a stylist, a hair stylist and makeup person (all being paid $$) and two boats waiting for me. The sunset was not going to wait.
how did the porn shoot go?
__________________
always check my sig for evidence of how bad ass i am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 05:39 PM   #13
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
It went pretty well but the car issue didn't put me in the best frame of mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 01:33 PM   #14
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
The other day I started the car and a big puff of smoke came out of the tailpipe.

I was thinking someone hear told me to watch for that but maybe it was the shop owner.

I told him about the problem and he had no idea that it happened. Of course the worker didn't tell him. I told him the excuse and he kinda said "hmmm. sounds a bit odd to me."

So he's also in agreement that it wasn't a problem of the seal not holding. He offered to do something free next time I have an issue.

I may take it in if the grey smoke continues and mention that. My ABS light occasionally blinks so I have some sort of sensor issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 01:45 PM   #15
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 26,246
I had an oil change, drove home ok (less than 5 miles). Drove it back and up towards the shop and noticed the oil light and the temp gauge and the car started to sputter. Not good. I pull over and check around. Seems like the oil filter popped off and well, all the oil ended up on the road. So I call the place, tell them the situation, made them come to me with a new oil filter and oil. Seems like the fools put the wrong filter on. Have a free oil change and car wash in the future because of it.
__________________
Oh, don't be the victim. Don't make up excuses because you're a dumbass. - Lynda Thompson
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 07:48 PM   #16
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 37,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
The other day I started the car and a big puff of smoke came out of the tailpipe.

I was thinking someone hear told me to watch for that but maybe it was the shop owner.

I told him about the problem and he had no idea that it happened. Of course the worker didn't tell him. I told him the excuse and he kinda said "hmmm. sounds a bit odd to me."

So he's also in agreement that it wasn't a problem of the seal not holding. He offered to do something free next time I have an issue.

I may take it in if the grey smoke continues and mention that. My ABS light occasionally blinks so I have some sort of sensor issue.
what color smoke? i guess don't worry about it so long as it doesn't come back.

are you braking when the abs blinks?

i'd tell ya to get a vag-com and scan the abs module, but i'm sure you don't have one of those...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 07:58 PM   #17
drmoze
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i'd tell ya to get a vag-com and scan the abs module, but i'm sure you don't have one of those...
Moving to Adult Forum.
__________________
NOT THE SAME: affect/effect; lose/loose; compliment/complement; then/than; palate/palette; site/sight; peek/peak/pique; advice/advise; allude/elude; holy/wholly; accept/except
SPELL: d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e; r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s; r-e-f-r-i-g-e-r-a-t-o-r; w-e-i-r-d; c-e-i-l-i-n-g; s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e
NOT ENGLISH: alot; wallah; spendy; would of; could of
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 08:07 PM   #18
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 37,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoze
Moving to Adult Forum.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 08:18 PM   #19
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,744
Quote:
aftermarket VAG-Tool that
I wonder if my wife could use this....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 10:17 PM   #20
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
what color smoke? i guess don't worry about it so long as it doesn't come back.

are you braking when the abs blinks?

i'd tell ya to get a vag-com and scan the abs module, but i'm sure you don't have one of those...

The smoke was a medium gray.

On the brakes: I'll be driving and it will come on without the brakes being touched. Sometimes it stays on for ten seconds, other times five minutes.


Don't have the vaginal thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 01:17 AM   #21
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 37,399
sounds like your abs module is toast. it doesn't affect braking right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 01:42 AM   #22
kvrdave
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 81,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I had an oil change, drove home ok (less than 5 miles). Drove it back and up towards the shop and noticed the oil light and the temp gauge and the car started to sputter. Not good. I pull over and check around. Seems like the oil filter popped off and well, all the oil ended up on the road. So I call the place, tell them the situation, made them come to me with a new oil filter and oil. Seems like the fools put the wrong filter on. Have a free oil change and car wash in the future because of it.
So they are incompetent, but since it is free you will use them again?
__________________
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 02:04 AM   #23
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
sounds like your abs module is toast. it doesn't affect braking right?

Does not hurt the braking. I had an issue w/the module before.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.