Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-05-06, 10:43 PM   #1
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Severed pig head rolled into mosque...

From the state that brought you a guy try to crucify himself and a mom who helped her daughter make Ex-Lax cookies for the daughter's teacher, now brings you this moran...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston.com
Severed pig's head thrown into mosque during prayer session

July 4, 2006

LEWISTON, Maine --A group of Muslim men praying at a Lewiston mosque were thrown for a jolt when somebody threw a severed pig's head into the mosque. Police arrested a man on Tuesday who said he thought it was a joke.

A frozen pig's head slightly larger than a basketball was rolled into the Lewiston Auburn Islamic Center on Lisbon Street at about 10:15 p.m. Monday, witnesses told the Sun Journal of Lewiston.

Pigs are considered unclean by Muslims, who are barred from eating pork, and the act was viewed as a deliberate insult upon the religion.

"We cannot eat it. We cannot even sit next to someone who is eating it," said a man who identified himself as Omar S.

When the incident occurred, about 40 men were bowed down as part of their prayer ritual. When the pig's head rolled in, the men got up and ran outside but were unable to locate anyone. None of the men were hit by the animal head.

Lewiston police bagged the head as evidence and took it to the police station, witnesses said. Police Lt. Mark Watson said the head was then disposed of.

Brent Matthews, 33, of Lewiston, came to the police department on Tuesday, told a detective he had thrown the head and was charged with desecration of a church, a misdemeanor. The charge is considered a hate-bias crime, so Matthews' case will be referred to the Attorney General's office for further investigation, Lt. Don Mailhot said.

Matthews, who was out on bail, "admitted to doing it," Mailhot said. "He thought it was funny; it was going to be a big joke. The police department doesn't anything like that lightly."
article

Old 07-06-06, 08:32 AM   #2
Lord Rick
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did he at least get the 7-10 split?
Old 07-06-06, 08:47 AM   #3
NatrlBornThrllr
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin
From the state that brought you a guy try to crucify himself and a mom who helped her daughter make Ex-Lax cookies for the daughter's teacher, now brings you this moran...

article

Yeah, what a moran. I loathe moranic people.
Old 07-06-06, 08:54 AM   #4
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Please, a hate crime? Its a ill advised prank and he should be charged for it and made to answer for it, but its hardly a hate crime. No one was really hurt in any way. Funny how I see the term hate crime thrown around so quickly in this country unless its a white kid getting his ass stomped by a black kid. That is just an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Old 07-06-06, 09:26 AM   #5
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Isn't that sorta like in the Godfather where the guy woke up next to his racehorse's head?
Old 07-06-06, 09:40 AM   #6
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

In related news, a major setpiece in the Lewiston Community Theatre's production of Lord of the Flies: The Musical has been reported stolen.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 07-06-06, 09:49 AM   #7
Cusm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Yeah, what a moran. I loathe moranic people.

Like Gold Edition Members that miss one of the oldest jokes in Otter.
XBL:Cusm • PSN:DarthCusm • D3:Cusm#1847 •
Old 07-06-06, 09:51 AM   #8
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
Please, a hate crime? Its a ill advised prank and he should be charged for it and made to answer for it, but its hardly a hate crime. No one was really hurt in any way. Funny how I see the term hate crime thrown around so quickly in this country unless its a white kid getting his ass stomped by a black kid. That is just an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Quote:
Pigs are considered unclean by Muslims, who are barred from eating pork, and the act was viewed as a deliberate insult upon the religion.
That's where they considered it as "hate crime"...

Croc RULE!
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 AM   #9
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree with hate crime laws entirely, but given that the stupid things exist, I can see why this would be charged as one. If someone broke into a Catholic church and glued a dildo and devil's horns to a statue of Jesus, they'd get charged with the same thing.
Old 07-06-06, 09:54 AM   #10
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
I think the concept of a stronger penalty for "hate crimes" is stupid, but by the hate crimes standard, this looks like it fits the bill.
Old 07-06-06, 10:40 AM   #11
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I absolutely see this as a hate crime. Whether the category of hate crimes is fair or needed is a different argument entirely.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Live gamertag: xmiyux
Old 07-06-06, 11:06 AM   #12
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher
If someone broke into a Catholic church and glued a dildo and devil's horns to a statue of Jesus, they'd get charged with the same thing.
You're joking, right? I think they'd be lauded as a hero.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 07-06-06, 11:13 AM   #13
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgul
Or instantly awarded an NEA grant.
Old 07-06-06, 11:18 AM   #14
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I absolutely see this as a hate crime. Whether the category of hate crimes is fair or needed is a different argument entirely.
If it were a hate crime, I doubt the guy would have turned himself in and made it public who he is. Just because something is offensive, doesn't mean it was "hatefully" committed. Guy just probably isn't real smart.

But they'll put a peaceful, loving fatwah on his ass now that we know who he is.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-06-06, 11:22 AM   #15
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
If it were a hate crime, I doubt the guy would have turned himself in and made it public who he is. Just because something is offensive, doesn't mean it was "hatefully" committed. Guy just probably isn't real smart.

But they'll put a peaceful, loving fatwah on his ass now that we know who he is.
That is a rational response but doesn't the law declare it a hate crime if it is determined to be based on a list of certain things (religion being one of them)? If that is the case then it would be a hate crime. And like i said earlier whether the hate crime designation is fair or not is something else entirely.

As a personal note i think something like this is stronger than just a practical joke because it is something easily known as being very very against the religion.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Old 07-06-06, 11:48 AM   #16
SeekOnce

Quote:
As a personal note i think something like this is stronger than just a practical joke because it is something easily known as being very very against the religion.
I have to agree. Although admittingly there's a chance this guy just didn't know any better, the use of a pig seems just a bit too coincidental for it to be unintentional considering the recipients of his joke.
Old 07-06-06, 11:54 AM   #17
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
That is a rational response but doesn't the law declare it a hate crime if it is determined to be based on a list of certain things (religion being one of them)?
Probably, which is all the more reason why it is a stupid thing. It let's people make checks on a checklist, and based on that decide the motivation behind something.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-06-06, 11:55 AM   #18
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
I disagree with hate crime laws entirely, but given that the stupid things exist, I can see why this would be charged as one. If someone broke into a Catholic church and glued a dildo and devil's horns to a statue of Jesus, they'd get charged with the same thing.
And asked where they were when they remade "The Exorcist."
Old 07-06-06, 12:27 PM   #19
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgul

It's sad to think that a person would think this way!

Chris
Old 07-06-06, 12:30 PM   #20
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Guess people think it is fine to insault Christianity but if any one says anything about Mulims/Islam, you might as well be Hitler clubbing kittens.
Old 07-06-06, 12:35 PM   #21
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where has anyone said in the thread that it is fine to insult Christianity? Other than Nazgul perhaps?

Old 07-06-06, 12:46 PM   #22
mrpayroll

Quote:
Where has anyone said in the thread that it is fine to insult Christianity? Other than Nazgul perhaps?
And maxfisher!

And if this had happened at a Christian church, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to insult someone else's religion. There is no reason for that.

And for the record, this is most definitely a hate crime. This person knew the significance of pigs to Muslims and probably Jews and went out of his way to get the pigs head.

Stupid? Most definitely, Yes
Hate? Yes
Prison? No
1000 hours community service to the Muslim community? Yes

Chris
Old 07-06-06, 12:55 PM   #23
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And maxfisher!

And if this had happened at a Christian church, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to insult someone else's religion. There is no reason for that.

And for the record, this is most definitely a hate crime. This person knew the significance of pigs to Muslims and probably Jews and went out of his way to get the pigs head.

Stupid? Most definitely, Yes
Hate? Yes
Prison? No
1000 hours community service to the Muslim community? Yes

Chris
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Where in the world did I insult someone else's religion? I was merely pointing out it was an intentional act of desecration and blasphemy and mentioned what an equivalent crime against a Christian church might consist of. If we were talking about a race hate crime and someone had spray painted 'Die Ni**er Die' on someone's house, I wouldn't expect to be accused of being a racist for pointing out that spray painting 'Die Cracker Die' would be an equivalent crime.
Old 07-06-06, 01:02 PM   #24
nodeerforamonth
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And there's no 3 months of rioting?

I don't believe this story.
Old 07-06-06, 01:16 PM   #25
mrpayroll

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Where in the world did I insult someone else's religion? I was merely pointing out it was an intentional act of desecration and blasphemy and mentioned what an equivalent crime against a Christian church might consist of. If we were talking about a race hate crime and someone had spray painted 'Die Ni**er Die' on someone's house, I wouldn't expect to be accused of being a racist for pointing out that spray painting 'Die Cracker Die' would be an equivalent crime.
My point is, why even bring Jesus Christ into the discussion this way?

Quote:
If someone broke into a Catholic church and glued a dildo and devil's horns to a statue of Jesus
What did he ever do to hurt you?

When bringing him into the discussion, it should be for the reason that he would have condemned this sort of thing. Jesus was all about getting right with The Father.

Chris
Sponsored Links