Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-06-06, 12:17 PM   #26
mrpayroll

And to add, if you had just said someone had broken into the Catholic Church and desecrated a statue of Jesus, your point would have been well made.

But you had to go with sex toys and demons!

Chris
Old 07-06-06, 12:31 PM   #27
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And to add, if you had just said someone had broken into the Catholic Church and desecrated a statue of Jesus, your point would have been well made.

But you had to go with sex toys and demons!

Chris
I worded it the way I did because I figured it was the same type of immature crime a person who'd roll a pig's head into a mosque would commit if they wanted to play a 'joke' on a Christian church. Meant nothing more or less by it than that and certainly didn't intend it as a slight against anyone's religion.
Old 07-06-06, 12:34 PM   #28
wendersfan

a·nal·o·gy Pronunciation (-nl-j)
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies
a. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
b. A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-06-06, 12:42 PM   #29
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, looks like wendersfan has dictionary facts to support him.

Old 07-06-06, 12:47 PM   #30
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronin
Damn, looks like wendersfan has dictionary facts to support him.

Well, I got snarky and got what I deserved, I guess.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-06-06, 01:36 PM   #31
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Where has anyone said in the thread that it is fine to insult Christianity? Other than Nazgul perhaps?
Ah, I keep forgetting this is not the Politics thread.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 07-06-06, 02:02 PM   #32
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by resinrats
Guess people think it is fine to insault Christianity but if any one says anything about Mulims/Islam, you might as well be Hitler clubbing kittens.
Fortunately, there's still a place where anti-Muslim rhetoric can flourish!

Spoiler:
www.dvdtalk.com
Old 07-06-06, 02:50 PM   #33
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork

Spoiler:
www.dvdtalk.com
Yeah. Around here all you get is the pro-Christian, Pro-Israel stuff.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-06-06, 03:51 PM   #34
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork

Spoiler:
www.dvdtalk.com
Why did I check the spoiler?

Chris
Old 07-06-06, 07:58 PM   #35
NatrlBornThrllr
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusm
Like Gold Edition Members that miss one of the oldest jokes in Otter.
I don't fit in on teh internet.
Old 07-06-06, 08:29 PM   #36
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I disagree with hate crime laws entirely, but given that the stupid things exist, I can see why this would be charged as one. If someone broke into a Catholic church and glued a dildo and devil's horns to a statue of Jesus, they'd get charged with the same thing.
I kinda doubt it. But it would bring teh funny to the local detective's division.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-06-06, 08:42 PM   #37
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see an issue where someone does something as minor as this in a Christian church and gets charged with a hate crime. Even it was a dumb prank offensive to the Christian faith. There is an ugly double standard in this country about hate crimes and the entire idea of it is offensive when it is used for something like this.

Its not like any harm at all came from this. If the guy had gone in there and forced them to eat BLTs then maybe I might understand.
Old 07-07-06, 06:26 AM   #38
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
I can't see an issue where someone does something as minor as this in a Christian church and gets charged with a hate crime. Even it was a dumb prank offensive to the Christian faith. There is an ugly double standard in this country about hate crimes and the entire idea of it is offensive when it is used for something like this.

Its not like any harm at all came from this. If the guy had gone in there and forced them to eat BLTs then maybe I might understand.
I don't know. Maybe it's different in the Midwest, but if someone desecrated a church around here, I'm pretty sure they'd be charged with every possible law available on the books. If it was truly a 'joke', as this dumbass is claiming, it might get plead down, but the initial charges would be everything they could throw at him.

Anyway, I find the entire concept of hate crimes to be absolutely ludicrous. Someone who goes around kicking the shit out of people because they're bald deserves the same punishment as someone who goes around kicking the shit out of people because they're black.
Old 07-08-06, 04:47 PM   #39
Parcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And maxfisher!

And if this had happened at a Christian church, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to insult someone else's religion. There is no reason for that.

And for the record, this is most definitely a hate crime. This person knew the significance of pigs to Muslims and probably Jews and went out of his way to get the pigs head.

Stupid? Most definitely, Yes
Hate? Yes
Prison? No
1000 hours community service to the Muslim community? Yes

Chris
A 1000 hours? Are you out of your mind? The Muslim community? I DREAD the day when citizens with political authority (meaning people in democracies) think in terms of groups and communities rather than individuals! At "best" he should be given a small punishment for disturbing peace and quiet and invading their space with an ill-mannered prank.

Those who think in terms of groups, communities and religious followers are those who think in terms of hate crimes. IMO - it's ridiculous. The punishment should be the same for the act, no matter who is being dealt with.

But hey, that day I dread is here already, it's been here ever since liberal democracies came into existence.