Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: What's more harmful to kids?
Playing tag, touch football, and soccer. 4 6.35%
Not allowing them to play tag, touch football, and soccer. 59 93.65%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-06, 04:44 AM   #1
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some schools ban tag, touch football, and soccer, because they're "dangerous."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ess-bans_x.htm

Health and Behavior

'Not it!' More schools ban games at recess

6/27/2006

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY

Some traditional childhood games are disappearing from school playgrounds because educators say they're dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., banned tag at recess this year. Others, including a suburban Charleston, S.C., school, dumped contact sports such as soccer and touch football.

In other cities, including Wichita; San Jose, Calif.; Beaverton, Ore.; and Rancho Santa Fe., Calif., schools took similar actions earlier.

The bans were passed in the name of safety, but some children's health advocates say limiting exercise and free play can inhibit a child's development.

Groups such as the National School Boards Association don't keep statistics on school games.

But several experts, including Donna Thompson of the National Program for Playground Safety, verify the trend. Dodge ball has been out at some schools for years, but banning games such as tag and soccer is a newer development.

"It's happening more," Thompson says. Educators worry about "kids running into one another" and getting hurt, she says.

In January, Freedom Elementary School in Cheyenne prohibited tag at recess because it "progresses easily into slapping and hitting and pushing instead of just touching," Principal Cindy Farwell says.

Contact sports were banned from recess at Charles Pinckney Elementary early this year, says Charleston County schools spokeswoman Mary Girault, because children suffered broken arms and dislocated fingers playing touch football and soccer.

Some schools that ban games at recess allow children to play them in gym class under supervision.

Critics of the bans say playing freely helps kids learn to negotiate rules and resolve disputes.

"They learn to change and to problem-solve," says Rhonda Clements, an education professor at Manhattanville College.

Joe Frost, emeritus professor of early childhood education at the University of Texas-Austin, sees playground restrictions as harmful.

"You're taking away the physical development of the children," he says. "Having time for play is essential for children to keep their weight under control."
Old 06-30-06, 05:28 AM   #2
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I think kids today exercise far too much as it is.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 06-30-06, 05:30 AM   #3
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing like raising a nation of pussified kids
Old 06-30-06, 05:40 AM   #4
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I am shocked that children are still allowed to have 'recess'. Every injury that kids got when I was that age was caused by it. Children are safest when they have sitting quietly contests.
Old 06-30-06, 05:54 AM   #5
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Let them watch other people play games on TV. There's much less chance of injury that way.

Old 06-30-06, 06:05 AM   #6
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

The reports for injuries were sponsored by EA (makers of Touch Madden 2007) and Activision (Tony Hawk's Tag, You're It: Extreme).

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 06-30-06, 07:31 AM   #7
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I think they should play poker at recess.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-30-06, 07:53 AM   #8
VinVega
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think they should play poker at recess.
Well, according to ESPN it's a sport.

Dominos is also another viable sport for them.
Old 06-30-06, 08:05 AM   #9
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Well, according to ESPN it's a sport.

Dominos is also another viable sport for them.
Slow down there, Evel Knievel -- those dominoes can have pretty sharp corners. Someone might get hurt!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-30-06, 08:47 AM   #10
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

When are they going to figure out that the school system can't be fixed, and just give up?

Tag is dangerous? sheesh!
Old 06-30-06, 08:53 AM   #11
ZakVTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Slow down there, Evel Knievel -- those dominoes can have pretty sharp corners. Someone might get hurt!
Exactly, and can you imagine the paper cuts coming from playing poker? It's too horrible to even think about.
Old 06-30-06, 08:56 AM   #12
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

You can't let them play video games, either, they might get carpal tunnel.

Better just keep them in a padded bubble until they are 18.
Old 06-30-06, 08:57 AM   #13
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
You can't let them play video games, either, they might get carpal tunnel.

Better just keep them in a padded bubble until they are 18.
Too expensive. I'd prefer a program of mandatory sterilization to prevent the little monsters in the first place. We can grow the replacements we need in vats or something, and decant them at maturity.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 06-30-06, 09:06 AM   #14
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

There's always competitive eating...Which should be a perfect sport for our youth now.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 06-30-06, 10:13 AM   #15
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Educators worry about "kids running into one another" and getting hurt, she says.
It's better to learn collision avoidance on the playground than in the street.
Old 06-30-06, 10:16 AM   #16
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
When I think of how I risked death riding a bike without a helmet, climbing trees without a net or something under them, stubbed my toes and scraped my knees without my parents filing suit against some slob for the capital offense of having a concrete driveway with a curb ... gee, it's a wonder I lived past 1973.
Old 06-30-06, 10:26 AM   #17
M2theAX
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better yet we shouldn't even have kids becuae 99.999% of their injuries occur once they leave the womb. Lets protect them by not having them =D
Old 06-30-06, 10:31 AM   #18
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
When I think of how I risked death riding a bike without a helmet, climbing trees without a net or something under them, stubbed my toes and scraped my knees without my parents filing suit against some slob for the capital offense of having a concrete driveway with a curb ... gee, it's a wonder I lived past 1973.

Despite past differences, this is one post of yours I wholeheartedly agree with (though I wasn't born till 1974 ) I would spend summers with family in West Virginia and always came home with scrapes, bumps, bruises and once a black eye.

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.
Old 06-30-06, 10:32 AM   #19
sherm42
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember the days of riding in the back of pickup trucks. You'd be arrested today if you let your kids ride in the back of a pickup.
Old 06-30-06, 10:45 AM   #20
kgrogers1979
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Touch football is dangerous. Seriously, I broke my nose playing touch football in my high school PE class. I ran into some guy's elbow and shattered my nose like a busted watermelon. At least, I got out of school for the rest of the day.
Old 06-30-06, 11:01 AM   #21
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
When are they going to figure out that the school system can't be fixed, and just give up?

Tag is dangerous? sheesh!
I'm so with you here, Mrs. D. Shoot, my sister broke her ankle at school jumping off the swings and she turned out just fine. Next they're going to tell us that playground equipment is dangerous???
Old 06-30-06, 11:24 AM   #22
Gunshy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kids still get recess? C'mon, just read a book about kids having recess. Oh yeah, kid could get a paper cut. Just play a books-on-tape about kids reading about kids having recess. Be safe, be quiet.

-Gunshy

Some good deals here: SaveCity
Old 06-30-06, 11:44 AM   #23
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

I guess dodgeball is out also. Do kids still play "smear the queer"? We used to play that everyday at recess. Basically there is one ball and whoever has it is the "queer." Everyone else tries to tackle him until he either throws the ball away (pussy) or gets tackled and someone else grabs the ball.
Old 06-30-06, 11:57 AM   #24
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, recess usually was when people got hurt from sports and got in fights.

I've always thought that the school day should be cut shorter to maybe like 4 hours. When I was in private school, there wasn't an all-out recess, we only had PE for one class at a time which I think is a bit better and safer.
Old 06-30-06, 12:01 PM   #25
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

4 hours?! The public school days (and school year) are ridiculously short as it is (what is it - 6.5 hours?). My private school (for high school) was 8-5 and 8-4 for the lower grades.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Sponsored Links