Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-06, 05:27 PM   #1
Curse_7781
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laredo, TX USA
Posts: 674
Any truth to this Medical connection?

Is it true that if you take a shower or bath with "warm" water throughout that person's lifetime, you get skin cancer down the road?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 05:44 PM   #2
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
I have NEVER heard of this and also checked Snopes.com

Now when you say 'warm' water, are you actually saying making a conscious decision to not have the water cold or hot? I say this because, I usually don't like 'warm' showers, but love it hot during the winter and cold during the summer.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 05:49 PM   #3
Curse_7781
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laredo, TX USA
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I have NEVER heard of this and also checked Snopes.com

Now when you say 'warm' water, are you actually saying making a conscious decision to not have the water cold or hot? I say this because, I usually don't like 'warm' showers, but love it hot during the winter and cold during the summer.

Chris
Indeed that is what I mean. I didn't know how to term it because "hot" would imply so hot that it would hurt the skin severly.

I hate cold water and I even take showers in "hot" water in the winter AND summer with a little bit of cold water.

My showers usually take from 5-12 minutes depending if I had a long day and I need to relax.

Edit: so I assume that my worries are for nothing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 05:56 PM   #4
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
As far as I know, this rumor is baseless in its content, but I could be wrong.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 05:58 PM   #5
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,783
I've never even heard of that as a myth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 06:10 PM   #6
Curse_7781
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laredo, TX USA
Posts: 674
Thanks guys! You all been a great help
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 09:08 PM   #7
cruzness
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 6,982
No that just sounds silly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 09:15 PM   #8
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,037
...I think you should be more worried about what happens in the shower....you can put your eye out!!!

-p
__________________
Everyone is against racial profiling....unless it is called Affirmative Action. -kvrdave
Coors Light is sex in a canoe. Natural Light is masturbating in a puddle. -The Bus
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 09:22 PM   #9
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,435
Ah yes, warm water gently rolling over the skin. I don't see how it CAN'T cause cancer!
__________________
Regarding Numanoid: "...don't pay attention to that guy, he has 26455 posts and about seven of them have been useful." - Szczesny
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:30 PM   #10
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Ah yes, warm water gently rolling over the skin. I don't see how it CAN'T cause cancer!

Look! We had him convinced that he was 100% wrong and now you've planted a seed of hope in him.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:42 PM   #11
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 63,595
Everything causes cancer nowadays. I say enjoy your showers now, because when you get cancer from them, you won't enjoy it.
__________________
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 10:14 AM   #12
Curse_7781
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laredo, TX USA
Posts: 674
Nice try Numanoid and Deftones
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 10:27 AM   #13
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 12,873
I take my showers in Cristal
__________________
This weeks horoscope: “You’ll scream until you’re blue in the face this week, which only makes sense, as you’re screaming for the national independence of greater Scotland.”
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 11:56 AM   #14
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 14,957
Only gold for me
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 12:00 PM   #15
Jadzia
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones
Everything causes cancer nowadays.
Agreed. I heard they found that disco dancing caused cancer in lab mice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 12:25 PM   #16
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,073
I only shower monthly, so I don't need to worry.
__________________
Ohwa Tagu Siam
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 12:42 PM   #17
Lord Rick
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 5,191
I'm astounded by the stupidity found on the internet. I mean, really.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 02:55 PM   #18
kgrogers1979
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,651
Exactly why would the temperature of water determine if you get cancer? That makes about as much sense as having two buttholes.

Isn't the water in most swimming pools typically warm? Does this mean that if you swim a lot, you will get cancer?

If any water would cause cancer, it would be because it is radioactive or has some chemical crap in it. However, going by my knowledge of 60's Marvel comic books, that would probably just turn you into a superhero or villain. (It worked for Hydro-man.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 02:55 PM   #19
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend
 
FantasticVSDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Deep behind enemy lines...NYC!
Posts: 11,323
Great, now I need to pee...Of course Im sure THAT causes cancer as well.
__________________
GO REDSOX!!!

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 03:00 PM   #20
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 8,501
If the water came from cooling towers around 3 mile island, then yes, it will cause cancer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 03:02 PM   #21
madara
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: union grove, wi
Posts: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rick
I'm astounded by the stupidity found on the internet. I mean, really.
This place is such a warm and inviting forum, I wonder why more folks outside the medium dont post here.
__________________
" I wanna believe!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:26 PM   #22
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Agreed. I heard they found that disco dancing caused cancer in lab mice.

I should be dead then.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:27 PM   #23
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I only shower monthly, so I don't need to worry.
But then when you do get cancer and die, nobody will find you for a month.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:28 PM   #24
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Isn't the water in most swimming pools typically warm? Does this mean that if you swim a lot, you will get cancer?
No, it's only shower water. It's true! Someone smart on the Internet said that.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 05:30 PM   #25
mrpayroll
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Great, now I need to pee...Of course Im sure THAT causes cancer as well.
Only to the person who is getting the golden shower!

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.