Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-15-06, 09:00 AM   #1
mrpayroll

Cat in Germany saves newborn baby's life

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060415/...rmany_cat_dc_1

Quote:
1 hour, 27 minutes ago

BERLIN (Reuters) - A cat saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned on the doorstep of a Cologne house in the middle of the night by meowing loudly until someone woke up, a police spokesman said on Saturday.

"The cat is a hero," Cologne police spokesman Uwe Beier said. "Its loud meowing got the attention of the homeowner and saved the baby from suffering life-threatening hypothermia. The homeowner opened door to see why the cat was making so much noise and discovered the newborn."

Beier said the boy was taken to hospital at 5 a.m. on Thursday, when overnight temperatures fell toward zero, and had suffered only mild hypothermia. He said there was no indication of what happened to the boy's mother.

For all of you cat hatez!

Chris
Old 04-15-06, 09:16 AM   #2
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sure the cat just wanted food or something. The baby was just a coincidence.
Old 04-15-06, 09:54 AM   #3
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Baby war in Bettlaken eingewickelt
Katze rettet ausgesetzten Säugling

Köln (ddp-nrw). Eine Katze hat am Donnerstag in Köln einen ausgesetzten Säugling möglicherweise vor einer lebensbedrohlichen Unterkühlung bewahrt. Am frühen Morgen hörte ein Bewohner eines Hauses im Stadtteil Höhenhaus lautes Miauen vor dem Gebäude. Als der 35-Jährige daraufhin die Haustür öffnete, fand er ein Bettlaken, in das ein männlicher Säugling eingewickelt war. Da er keine Personen in der Umgebung bemerkte, nahm er das Neugeborene mit ins Haus und verständigte den Rettungsdienst.

Nach Angaben eines Polizeisprechers ist das erst wenige Stunden alte Baby vermutlich bewusst vor dem beleuchteten Wohnhaus abgelegt worden, damit der Junge frühzeitig gefunden werden konnte. Das Kind war nach Einschätzung des Notarztes nur leicht unterkühlt, ansonsten aber gesund. Es wird in einer Kölner Kinderklinik behandelt. Die Ermittlungen zur Mutter des Neugeborenen dauern an.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-15-06, 09:56 AM   #4
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm sure the cat just wanted food or something. The baby was just a coincidence.
You've met the cat personally and got the inside scoop?
Old 04-15-06, 10:10 AM   #5
Coral
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the cat was actually meowing because of the baby, it probaby had more to do with it being afraid or annoyed by it. Either that or it was merely a coincidence and the cat was meowing for some other reason.

I highly doubt the cat was concerned for the baby's welfare.
Old 04-15-06, 10:18 AM   #6
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

I believe the story because Animals do things like this all the time.
Old 04-15-06, 10:58 AM   #7
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

If it was a female cat, it may very well have realized that the infant needed care. I have had mother animals that understood what babies were in other species. I suspect the loud meowing was "Hey, you idiots, you left your baby outside! Dammit, I can't feed this thing!"

I once had a dog that would try to mother anything immature. Kittens, ducklings, small children... she knew.

Last edited by Mrs. Danger; 04-15-06 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 11:31 AM   #8
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
Katze rettet ausgesetzten Säugling

Köln (ddp-nrw). Eine Katze hat am Donnerstag in Köln einen ausgesetzten Säugling möglicherweise vor einer lebensbedrohlichen Unterkühlung bewahrt. Am frühen Morgen hörte ein Bewohner eines Hauses im Stadtteil Höhenhaus lautes Miauen vor dem Gebäude. Als der 35-Jährige daraufhin die Haustür öffnete, fand er ein Bettlaken, in das ein männlicher Säugling eingewickelt war. Da er keine Personen in der Umgebung bemerkte, nahm er das Neugeborene mit ins Haus und verständigte den Rettungsdienst.

Nach Angaben eines Polizeisprechers ist das erst wenige Stunden alte Baby vermutlich bewusst vor dem beleuchteten Wohnhaus abgelegt worden, damit der Junge frühzeitig gefunden werden konnte. Das Kind war nach Einschätzung des Notarztes nur leicht unterkühlt, ansonsten aber gesund. Es wird in einer Kölner Kinderklinik behandelt. Die Ermittlungen zur Mutter des Neugeborenen dauern an.
Even though I have German blood... translated for the German impaired

A cat has preserved on Thursday in Cologne a put out baby possibly from a life-menacing undercooling. In the early morning an inhabitant of a house in the part of town height house heard loud meow before the building. When the 35-year-old opened as a result the front door, he found a sheet in which a male baby was wrapped. Because he noted no persons in the surroundings, he took the newborn child with in the house and informed the rescue service.

According to a police speaker the baby only old few hours has been presumably filed consciously before the illuminated residential building, so that the boy could be found untimely. The child was only easily undercooled according to appraisal of the emergency doctor, otherwise, however, healthy. It is treated in a Cologne pediatric clinic. The inquiries to the mother of the newborn child continue.

Chris
Old 04-15-06, 12:17 PM   #9
The Infidel
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Old 04-15-06, 12:22 PM   #10
Jadzia

Whenever my baby son would fall and hurt himself or otherwise cry unusually, my cats would always come running to investigate and have a concerned look. When he would just normally cry as a baby, they kept their distance so I thought it was amazing that they seem to know the difference in the sound of his cries, whether he is genuinely hurt or not.
Old 04-15-06, 12:30 PM   #11
Bandoman
DVD Talk Hero

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdog
You've met the cat personally and got the inside scoop?

The inside scoop.

Old 04-15-06, 12:43 PM   #12
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

@ Bando
Old 04-15-06, 12:44 PM   #13
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Whenever my baby son would fall and hurt himself or otherwise cry unusually, my cats would always come running to investigate and have a concerned look. When he would just normally cry as a baby, they kept their distance so I thought it was amazing that they seem to know the difference in the sound of his cries, whether he is genuinely hurt or not.
That's cool. I figure domestic animals have been with us so long they're bound to pick up on signals we give.
Old 04-15-06, 01:56 PM   #14
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the bigger story here: Why was there a baby on a doorstep in 0 degree weather? Police should question the cat to see if it saw anything since it's so smart.
Old 04-15-06, 08:08 PM   #15
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

The even bigger story: BAsed on the above translation, how the hell do Germans communicate effectively with anyone, ever?
Old 04-15-06, 08:12 PM   #16
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I always knew german pussy was good for your health
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 04-15-06, 09:15 PM   #17
Ovid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
A baby war?! God help us all...
Old 04-15-06, 09:52 PM   #18
Puzznic
DVD Talk Special Edition

It takes a scumbag to abandon a baby on a doorstep but it takes a special kind of scum bag to not even ring the door bell before you run away.