Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-30-06, 08:37 AM   #1
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lawn mower tuneup?

Okay, it's that time of year again! Blah. I've gone three summers without doing a thing to my lawn mower. Doesn't sound very smart, eh? I'm thinking of taking the mower in for a professional tuneup, but if all I need to do is change the spark plug, air filter and oil then maybe I'll try it myself.

Anything else I should do to make Mr. Mower feel better?
Old 03-30-06, 08:49 AM   #2
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Sharpen the blades.
Old 03-30-06, 08:55 AM   #3
Bloomiesgirl

I would just make sure the oil levels are good, that there's a full tank of gas, and the blades are sharpened.

Is it a riding mower? or a push mower?
Old 03-30-06, 08:59 AM   #4
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually change the air filter and oil every spring. THis will be my 4th season on the same plug. I was going to get a new one last year but could never find the right one.

Oh yeah, and sharpen the baldes (I try to do at least twice a season if not more)
Old 03-30-06, 10:08 AM   #5
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Push mower (Murray with Briggs & Sratton engine). I bought it used from a friend for a cheapo price and I think that's why I'm not as inclined to take care of it like I should.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and do this myself including sharpening the blades.
Old 03-30-06, 10:47 AM   #6
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming, based on the instructions that came with my mower, that people in areas that have seasons actually store their mowers in the winter. Did you drain the gas before storing, because if not, you may need to use a carborator cleaner on it. I'm in SoCal where we mow all year round and I've still had problems where the gas sat a bit too long and I had problems.

Otherwise, I'd say it sounds like you're on the right track
Old 03-30-06, 12:20 PM   #7
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I have a big ol' riding mower and all I do is sharpen the blades, top up the oil, inspect the air filter, and go. I put in some STA-BIL at the end of the season before the last mow and it's good to go for the winter. I usually have to hook the battery up to the trickle charger the night before the season's first mow. I'd only worry about spark plug and such if it started having problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 03-30-06, 12:42 PM   #8
Phil L.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had the same Craftsman mower for six years now. It still has the original oil and plug it came with in it. I store it in an outdoor shed freezing all winter leaving the same old crappy gas in it. It always starts right up every spring.
Old 03-30-06, 12:56 PM   #9
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

when i was in the army i had to buy the gas to mow the grass. one time i bought premium as a joke, and the mower worked a lot better than before.