Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-26-06, 11:48 AM   #1
whitetigeress
DVD Talk Special Edition

Teething Puppy

We have a new addition to our family. We have not had a puppy in 10+ years and we don't know what to do about his teething problem. Are raw bones the best way to handle it? Thanks

Old 03-26-06, 11:49 AM   #2
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

dead bodies work best
Old 03-26-06, 11:52 AM   #3
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Stay away from sock toys (putting a knot in a sock. It makes tham chew on shoes. Rawhide and string bones are the way to go.
Old 03-26-06, 12:37 PM   #4
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Buy him chew toys that are specific for dental health such as Booda Velvets, denta bones, Booda bones, kongs, and rope toys. Your dog will chew a lot during this stage and if you don't provide him with toys of his own he'll make due with your belongings.
Old 03-26-06, 12:51 PM   #5
whitetigeress
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Buy him chew toys that are specific for dental health such as Booda Velvets, denta bones, Booda bones, kongs, and rope toys. Your dog will chew a lot during this stage and if you don't provide him with toys of his own he'll make due with your belongings.
Thanks for replying. He does have a puppy kong, but he ignores it. I will have to make a run to target and petco. Thanks
Old 03-26-06, 01:05 PM   #6
phatboy
DVD Talk Special Edition

is it just me or does this dog look stuffed?
Old 03-26-06, 01:38 PM   #7
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very cute dog... there is a product called bitter apple that you may want to get.. you spray it on stuff you don't want the dog to chew on (like furniture) and it has a bitter taste

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 03-26-06, 01:48 PM   #8
hippie68

What a cute dog!!
We have been successful with giving our puppy these.

http://www.cetdental.com/

They are easily digestible, they are great for the teeth, and they love them.
You can also give them one a day.

They are expensive, but worth it.
Old 03-26-06, 01:55 PM   #9
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, some dogs like the taste of bitter apple. Mine does.

Kongs only work if you put something inside, such as peanut butter or puppy biscuits. Once he associates the kong with treats, he'll play with it more. My own dog figured out that the kong could magnify noises when he carries it by the smaller end. Now he runs around making "hork" noises into the thing and appears delighted at the magnification of his "horks".

You might also try a buster cube. It won't help with teething, but it'll keep your puppy occupied for a while. The buster cube is a cube with rounded corners and a hole in one side where you can drop treats. You then close the aperture slightly so the dog has to work to get the treats out. He'll roll the thing all over the house, and kick at it with his front paws to get the treats.

If the buster cube is empty and my dog wants to play with it, he puts his nose under it and gives it a good push. Then he looks at me with that "Hey. This thing is empty!" expression.
Old 03-26-06, 03:23 PM   #10
BuddhaWake
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
FYI, some dogs like the taste of bitter apple. Mine does.
My two also like bitter apple that I only used it once or twice and they would only chew on that. I still keep it around in case I have to get rid of a body. a little spray and they can get to work.
Old 03-26-06, 03:42 PM   #11
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetigeress
Thanks for replying. He does have a puppy kong, but he ignores it.
Stick peanut butter in the middle of it. My mom's puppy instructor gave her that tip, and it has worked wonders on Bogey's chewing tendancies. He loves the puppy kong now and uses it often.

-p
Old 03-26-06, 04:41 PM   #12
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When my dog was a puppy, he loved pig ears. Those kept him occupied a lot. Funny that he refuses to eat them now though.

I bought something different than the bitter apple stuff because I had heard a lot of dogs really liked the bitter apple. The stuff I bought is really foul; my dog didn't like it at all. Plus, it is all natural and contains no alcohol (unlike products like bitter apple). I'm at work now, but when I get home, I'll check for the name of the product.
Old 03-26-06, 04:45 PM   #13
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Pepper sprays (NOT the self-defense ones....the all-natural ones meant for puppies). A dog's sense of smell is very sensative and 'most' dogs do not like the spice/burn of the sprays. I believe my parents used the apple spray, but Bogey has gotten use to it, but now they go with another all-natural spray they picked up.

-p
Old 03-26-06, 05:22 PM   #14
emanon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thay quit teething him. It'th not hith fault he talkth funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wholly endorse having sex with midgets for 1 simple reason: it makes my dick look bigger.

Last edited by emanon; 03-26-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 05:41 PM   #15
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Also, an empty sealed juice container (label removed). Puppies usually like the fact it makes a noise, and they will chase it around endlessly because of this fact. As a puppy they aren't strong enough to destroy the container, nor can they usually bite it because if its size, but you should keep an eye on it just in case.

-p
Old 03-27-06, 01:07 AM   #16
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

And yet another reason why cats are so much better than dogs.

Cute pup, good luck with him.
Old 03-27-06, 01:19 AM   #17
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Paging Dr. kvrdave, Dr. kvrdave, please check in.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 03-27-06, 10:02 AM   #18
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer

Kittens chew on electrical cords. That doesn't make them better than dogs.

By the way, pig ears are not the best for dogs, and they stain carpet.
Old 03-27-06, 10:32 AM   #19
beavismom
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer

Except that mine chew worse than dogs. As mllefoo said, they chew expensive wires and my orange cat chews holes in my sofa. We tried Outdoor Bitter End (a peppery spray) which is for cats and dogs, but it doesn't bother them now. They looked at me very strangely at PetCo when I asked if they make chew toys for cats. :rolleye:
Old 03-27-06, 05:15 PM   #20
squidget
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When my dog was a puppy he loved to chew on plastic squeaker toys. He likes the noise and the rubber. Fabric stuff squeaker toys he would chew it until he found the plastic squeaker and would quickly destroy it.
Bitter apple never worked on him but surprisingly a water pistol did. A cat owner told me about using a water pistol when her cat was doing something she didnt want. When I would catch him chewing on something he wasn't suppose to(my shoes the main culprit), I would squirt him w/o verbal warning. Man, he hated it. I never seen a dog jump so high.
Old 03-27-06, 05:19 PM   #21
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

I almost suggested the water gun idea, but it is hit and miss (no pun intended)

-p
Old 03-27-06, 06:12 PM   #22
whitetigeress
DVD Talk Special Edition

He loves empty water bottles. It is so funny to watch him dive at them. I will have to try the peanut butter trick tonight. He survived his first day of crate training. My brother was home to let him out every two hours.

Kittens can also be a handful. I just like the fact that you don't have to potty train them. Oliver is about 5 months now and loves digging in plants. But, he has not done it since we got the puppy. They play together so well. I think they wear themselves out. Which is a good thing.
Old 03-27-06, 06:37 PM   #23
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I was being silly, Foo. Kittens have teeth like needles and chew up everything in site. Which is a great reason to let someone else deal with the little hypodermic needles and adopt an older cat.
Old 03-27-06, 10:07 PM   #24
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Really? I had never heard about them being bad for dogs. And I also never had any problem with them staining the carpet. And trust me, he used to eat quite a few of them. What I had heard that wasn't good for dogs was the rawhide products, that it was difficult for dogs to digest. So I've only ever given him the all-natural pig ears, although now he is in love with Moo Tubes.

As for spraying water, while I didn't use it for my dog to help with teething, I did use it to teach him not to get too close to the dinner table while I was eating and not to jump on people. I think I only actually sprayed him once, maybe twice, when he was a puppy. He's 2 now, and I hadn't used the water bottle in a LONG time. But he was jumping on a guest recently and I picked up the water bottle and he still remembers it and backed up quick.

I finally remembered to check on that bite deterrant product. It's called Stay Away and it's made by TropiClean. It's safe to use on furniture, shoes, pet bandages and plants.

From the back: "Formulated with some of the most bitter extracts in the world. Stay Away tastes so bad it discourages animals from ever wanting to chew, bite, lick, or gnaw on something coated with it. Powerful, yet safe."

It's safe for dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and deer (How many people are seriously going to be using this product for deer?).

I don't mean to sound like a walking advertisement, but it did the job for my dog when he was teething. Now that I think about it, I should have coated my arms with the stuff!

Last edited by clckworang; 03-28-06 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 09:40 AM   #25
beavismom
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang

It's safe for dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and deer (How many people are seriously going to be using this product for deer?).
You might be surprised. Deer eat flower and vegetable gardens down to the ground. I am sure it isn't a big deal for real "city" dwellers, but I have 4 bushes that they have eaten down to the ground and I would probably put something out if I wasn't going to rip them out anyway.
Sponsored Links