Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-06, 07:55 AM   #1
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
so, how do i lose these love handles?

i've been working out regularly and intensively for almost two months now. my body has stiffened up and i'm looking good, except the fat that is my love handles refuses to go away. my diet is fairly good, with only a moderate amount of sugar and very little fat.

i imagine it's just a case of maintaining my regimen and eventually i'll start eating away at that long term fat. but my body looks a little ridiculous now because i don't think i have any fat BUT the love handles...

so, is there any way to speed the process up? or will it just be diligence?
-di doctor-
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 08:02 AM   #2
Jazzbutcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jazzbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NYC Burbs
Posts: 2,646
you can't spot reduce. The handles will go away as you continue to reduce your body fat %. I'm in the same boat as you, so I know how frustrating it is. Don't give up!
__________________
The Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 08:08 AM   #3
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,725
See the street? Start running.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 08:21 AM   #4
digitalfreaknyc
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Being a DR of Ring Dings doesn't help.

They are damn delicious though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 08:38 AM   #5
Hiro11
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,295
This is the last area to go for me as well. Not much you can do about it unless you really concentrate on your diet, though.
__________________
What's that? Jessie and Prospector are trapped in the old abandoned mine and Prospector just lit a stick of dynamite thinking it was a candle and now they're about to be blown to smithereens?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 09:13 AM   #6
enrage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 286
if your diet is low in fat, look into increasing your good fat intake. Start taking 2-3 tablespoons of flax oil every day. that should help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 09:52 AM   #7
SoSpacey
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
fat doesnt melt off your body. you cna lose weight and shrink fat cells but rumor has it that it takes about 5 years to actually lose fat cells.

shrink them for now.
__________________
I am a music photographer
www.irocktheshot.com
www.joepapeo.com
www.facebook.com/joepapeophotography
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 09:55 AM   #8
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
right, so how do i shrink 'em faster?!
-di doctor-
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:01 AM   #9
digitalfreaknyc
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
right, so how do i shrink 'em faster?!
-di doctor-
Liposuction
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:08 AM   #10
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Liposuction
but of course! how stupid of me to forget!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:16 AM   #11
Bronkster
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 9,964
Get a dog. Walk said dog at least 2 miles every day.
__________________
I don't want no part of your tired-ass country club, ya freak bitch!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:24 AM   #12
SpaceBoy
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 4,515
I have this problem, and also with losing weight in my face. I'm looking better, but I still got a fat head ha. Any ideas for this one, or it the same story, just keep it up and sooner or later it will pay off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:26 AM   #13
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronkster
Get a dog. Walk said dog at least 2 miles every day.
dude, it's just the love handles! two miles of walking ain't gonna cut it. i'm already losing at least 1000 additional calories 4 times a week at the gym plus a few more at yoga on the off days. when the ultimate frisbee season gets into full swing and before my business is up and running, i'll be losing a lot of calories. the question is whether or not they'll take the weight off my hips!

(wow, there were some very effeminite things in that post... i'm definitely a metrosexual... *sigh*)
-di doctor-
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:30 AM   #14
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
don't drink alcohol. eat a lot of fiber and go running. if you still have love handles, then you're stuck with them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:33 AM   #15
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
dude, it's just the love handles! two miles of walking ain't gonna cut it. i'm already losing at least 1000 additional calories 4 times a week at the gym plus a few more at yoga on the off days. when the ultimate frisbee season gets into full swing and before my business is up and running, i'll be losing a lot of calories. the question is whether or not they'll take the weight off my hips!

(wow, there were some very effeminite things in that post... i'm definitely a metrosexual... *sigh*)
-di doctor-
Dude, cardio is the only way it's going to happen. So start RUNNING. Or you can ignore this post like you did my first one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:42 AM   #16
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower
Dude, cardio is the only way it's going to happen. So start RUNNING. Or you can ignore this post like you did my first one.
heh. you can't lose 1000 calories per trip to the gym unless you are doing cardio! (or lifting a shitload of weights for a LLLONG time) my knee's been tweaking lately, but to compensate, i've been doing an hour on stationary bikes at a medium or high or alternating level. when it's back fully functional, which should be soon, i'll get back on the stairmaster and the elliptical.

running outside is not an option due to 1) prague's roads and pollution levels are not exactly conducive to jogging/running, 2) prague's weather at this time of year is shit - lots of ice, slush and/or snow and/or rain, and 3) the forementioned tweaking knee.

so, yes, i do do cardio!
-di doctor-
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:45 AM   #17
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
oh, and of course, ultimate frisbee is extremely cardio-intensive! at least, when you play at the level that i play. and it's also why my knee is not so hot. years of ultimate can do some bad voodoo to one's knees. but it's addicting, so i ain't gonna quit... for now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:04 AM   #18
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Cardio is great, but it also burns muscle, so you don't want to overdo it. I don't know what your workout regimen is, but muscles are always hungry, and you have lots of muscle in the legs. A workout that gives some strong focus to those leg muscles will help you burn more calories at rest. Also, studies show that interval training burns more fat than cardio, which is your goal here. You're likely to have more success with an intense 20-minute interval session than 45-60 minutes of static cardio. (Ultimate should be great for this, since it's essentially interval running) Don't judge success by the "calories burned" readout on your equipment. You want your body at a point where it's burning calories (preferably fat) all day long and while you sleep, not necessarily getting a high number at the gym.

Saying all that, the love handles will just take time and diligence, and depending on your age and body chemistry, you may never be completely rid of them.

das
__________________
Dragon*Con 2004 - 2005 - Lost in Hawaii - DVD Reviews

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:17 AM   #19
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Cardio is great, but it also burns muscle, so you don't want to overdo it. I don't know what your workout regimen is, but muscles are always hungry, and you have lots of muscle in the legs. A workout that gives some strong focus to those leg muscles will help you burn more calories at rest. Also, studies show that interval training burns more fat than cardio, which is your goal here. You're likely to have more success with an intense 20-minute interval session than 45-60 minutes of static cardio. (Ultimate should be great for this, since it's essentially interval running) Don't judge success by the "calories burned" readout on your equipment. You want your body at a point where it's burning calories (preferably fat) all day long and while you sleep, not necessarily getting a high number at the gym.

Saying all that, the love handles will just take time and diligence, and depending on your age and body chemistry, you may never be completely rid of them.

das
most people misuse the term "cardio"vascular excersice which is around the 85% of max heart rate. That will burn muscle like you said.

Pick a "cardio" machine with a heart monitor on it, and do excercises that will keep you in the 65% max heart rate range. Jogging will do this. running prolonged sprints will jump you into the "cardio" range. slight interval training is good too like you said.

oh, and this type is the best way to burn fat, along with the correct diet. Now can you please help me lose my handles in the next 6 days before my vacation?

Last edited by grrrah; 03-16-06 at 11:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:21 AM   #20
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
i've been working out regularly and intensively for almost two months now. my body has stiffened up and i'm looking good, except the fat that is my love handles refuses to go away. my diet is fairly good, with only a moderate amount of sugar and very little fat.

i imagine it's just a case of maintaining my regimen and eventually i'll start eating away at that long term fat. but my body looks a little ridiculous now because i don't think i have any fat BUT the love handles...

so, is there any way to speed the process up? or will it just be diligence?
-di doctor-
stop eating corn, most potatoes, drinking soda pop, don't put sugar into tea or coffee, don't eat white rice, no white bread.

Also are you making your own food from raw ingredients or eating food from the box you bought with a coupon? Most pre-packaged food will have all kinds of high carb additives like high fructose corn syrup. Look into cooking your own meals from raw food.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:49 AM   #21
DrRingDing
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
stop eating corn, most potatoes, drinking soda pop, don't put sugar into tea or coffee, don't eat white rice, no white bread.

Also are you making your own food from raw ingredients or eating food from the box you bought with a coupon? Most pre-packaged food will have all kinds of high carb additives like high fructose corn syrup. Look into cooking your own meals from raw food.
i try to eat as many raw fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. as possible. it's a little more difficult to do here (in the Czech Republic) than stateside. i stopped with adding sugar to anything awhile ago. i've started buying juices with either low or no sugar added. i usually eat meals at restaurants because it's cheap and eating out of a box is not an option here, since the box meals (outside of frozen pizzas, blech) are extremely limited and not terribly appealing.

i also try to avoid pizza and pasta.

corn is not really available in europe. potatoes are a large part of the czech diet, but i don't eat a czech diet. (a majority of the czech diet is pork and beef and potatoes, only one of which i'll actually eat - potatoes).

as to interval training, that's what i do when my knee isn't tweaked. as the case is, it's easier for me to just get on the bike for an hour. but when my knee is better, i'll go back to my regimen of 20 to 30 mins on various machines which change on a workout by workout basis.

my typical regimen:

10 min: warm-up
7 to 10: stretch
15 to 20: lift weights/ab work
25 to 30: cardio 1 (maybe stair master, maybe elliptical, maybe stationary bike, maybe seated stationary bike, maybe treadmill - but probably not, due to my knee)
15 to 30: lifting/ab work
20 to 30: cardio 2
15: lifting/ab work
10: warm-down
10: stretch.

all in all, it's a fairly intense workout and it's designed to prepare me for ultimate. once that starts, i'll probably be down to 2 or 3 times a week in the gym.
-di doctor-
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:55 AM   #22
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
try to break up your workout into weights/abs and cardio on different days

do the weight work first, than abs. Then the next day do the cardio.

also check out www.gilad.tv. He has some good exercises that target different parts of the abs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 04:18 PM   #23
bigsoos
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,057
try doing laps in a pool if you have one available to you
how about Spin classes?
__________________
"The last time I saw a pair of jugs that big, two hillbillies were blowing on them."

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.