Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Is it okay for kids to run around a restaurant?
Yes-they're kids 4 1.87%
No-not acceptable 201 93.93%
Undecided-maybe if they are quiet? 3 1.40%
I don't vote in polls 6 2.80%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-06, 09:22 PM   #126
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayne377
After lurking on "Otter" for years, I had to register and post... thanks to this thread. A subject that is very near and dear to my heart!

Gettin' off the soapbox!

Stacy

WOW! We got you out of lurk mode. Are you a guy or a girl? Don't stop posting now, you're on a roll!
Old 03-15-06, 09:25 PM   #127
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseang
In defense of the children, restaurants are hell holes of distraction and the very atmosphere set by the restaurants begs for people anbd children to act crazy. Loud music, even louder conversations...

I have noticed that our kids always seem to angle toward being crazy at certain restaurants and I believe it's because the places play loud, fast music.
Old 03-15-06, 09:35 PM   #128
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Scream at the top of their lungs continuously. I expect crying babies. I just don't want parents to be deaf to their children because I don't have that power. If the kid starts screaming, march his ass outside and make him stop.

That reminds me that their two-year-old girl likes to just scream loudly while sitting there. She also holds her breath and starts turning blue. Of course they just ignore the noise. Oi.

Our first two kids have always done very well in restaurants but the third one has a more defiant personality at times. After a few times of him not wanting to behave we quit eating at almost all restaurants for about one year.

Now he's over that terrible two action and we're back in bidness. Watch out!
Old 03-15-06, 09:47 PM   #129
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I was at Wolfgang Puck's in Orlando with three other adults for dinner. OK, I know Orlando is a town where parents let their kids go ape shit. We wait at the bar for nearly an hour for our table. Once seated, we realize we have a "situation" next to us. There were five adults and their kids (speaking French). The adults were still enjoying their meal and drinks. Their kids? Everywhere. One was under the table banging the leg with a knife. Another kid was behind the adults on a shelf that goes behind the tables, CRAWLING on it (!!) The others, running up and down the aisles. All parties around them were giving the adults the eye, but no one would say anything. They looked to be finishing up so I didn't either. The worst part is, neither did the manager of the restaurant. My friend walked up to him (who had been walking past their table quiet a bit) and said "Would you please do something about that family, they are ruining everyone's time here". He said he'd take care of it. But did nothing. If you don't hate kids already, go to Orlando. You will after that. The very next day, in our hotel, there was a small child running up and down the hall at 7:00 AM screaming at the top of his lungs. I opened the door and told him to be quiet. His mother, who was in their room with the door half opened walked to the door and responded to me (get this) "He's on vacation too!". To which I said "Vacation from what? He's a kid. It's 7:00 AM, control your child!". And slammed the door. No more noise.

We were at Downtown Disney a few months ago and planned on eating at Puck's. But the kids had been going since early morning and were starting to get cranky. We decided it wasn't a good idea to make them sit in a restaurant for more than an hour so we settled for a takeout pizza.

re: your second point

One night we stayed at a hotel and kids were running around the halls at Midnight. I opened the door and asked them to be quiet as some people wanted to sleep. The mother said "We're on vacation!" and I said "So our we. Don't ruin ours by being inconsiderate." She gathered them up in a huff and went into their room where she had to deal with it.
Old 03-15-06, 10:22 PM   #130
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
One night we stayed at a hotel and kids were running around the halls at Midnight. I opened the door and asked them to be quiet as some people wanted to sleep. The mother said "We're on vacation!" and I said "So our we. Don't ruin ours by being inconsiderate." She gathered them up in a huff and went into their room where she had to deal with it.
What she meant to say was "We're on vacation so we decided that everyone else in this hotel should watch our kids so we can sleep". Nice.
Old 03-16-06, 02:54 AM   #131
spayne377
Cool New Member

Quote:
WOW! We got you out of lurk mode. Are you a guy or a girl? Don't stop posting now, you're on a roll!
I'm a chick. I'll do my best to resist lurkdom and keep posting!

Stacy
Old 03-16-06, 08:49 AM   #132
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
We were at Downtown Disney a few months ago and planned on eating at Puck's. But the kids had been going since early morning and were starting to get cranky. We decided it wasn't a good idea to make them sit in a restaurant for more than an hour so we settled for a takeout pizza.

re: your second point

holy crap, they let kids into Puck's? Wife and I thought about eating there a few years ago when we were there. Glad we didn't. I think that type of place is one where they need to make a rule where you have to be older than 14 or so.

I heard in Atlantis in the Bahamas many of the restaraunts have strict age limits that are enforced.
Old 03-16-06, 09:22 AM   #133
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'm a chick. I'll do my best to resist lurkdom and keep posting!

Stacy

The people here are lazy. They've usually asked for pics by now.
Old 03-16-06, 09:31 AM   #134
tasha99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think its sad that they even have to have age limit restaurants. I would very much like to take my son out when we go on our cruise this year (he's 8), but the specialty restaurants on the ship are 13 and older. The thing is, he does fine in fancy restaurants but because some parents let their kids act like little monsters, it ruins it for the people who don't.
Old 03-16-06, 09:45 AM   #135
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

al_bundy, I see where you are coming from on the "always sitting still" comment. Yeah, you can tell when a kid has been browbeaten into conforming his behavior. There is no spontenaety. But, that is different from a child who is behaving because he has been taught the "games" of socialization.

These are two different kinds of poor parenting. You are talking about the abusive end of the spectrum, and this thread is about the neglectful end of it.

People need to learn that there IS no vacation from being a parent. Even leaving the kids with other relatives for an evening is a parenting choice to be thought out.

Heck, I felt that way about my Niece and Nephew! Anytime I was around them, I was in "parent" mode. They are grown now, and a couple of fine young people. They didn't get that way by accident. Their parents (and grandparents, and aunt) worked at it!
Old 03-16-06, 10:07 AM   #136
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I have noticed that our kids always seem to angle toward being crazy at certain restaurants and I believe it's because the places play loud, fast music.
Don't you know by now not to take children to the Benny Hill Grill?
Old 03-16-06, 10:09 AM   #137
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

That's my friend's favorite comedian.

The problem usually seems to be Mexican restaurants with the, how you say, fast music.
Old 03-16-06, 12:33 PM   #138
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
I haven't seen anyone here who thinks they should always sit quietly wherever they are
You have now!

And let's not rule out ritalin and abuse so quickly.
Old 03-16-06, 01:01 PM   #139
kitkat
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-16-06, 01:37 PM   #140
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Don't you know by now not to take children to the Benny Hill Grill?
I would TOTALLY go to this grill. It combines a few of my favor things:

Music + Beef + Scantily Clan Women + Comedy = GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!!

-p
Old 03-16-06, 02:30 PM   #141
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
It's a 19 month-old NERD!!!

That is about 15 mo. old with mom's glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
Congratulations. Your child sounds like a dream. I trust that you're taking her to Bob Evans, not Le Petite Chateau, right? If so, you're smarter than a lot of parents out there.

I have a friend whose little boy, about ten months old, will sit quietly in his high chair noshing soda crackers while the grownups eat and never let out a whimper. He's a dream too. On the other hand, my colleague has an eleven-month-old that screams from the second the high chair strap goes around him unless he is physically swallowing food. I would hate to imagine her taking him to a restaurant.
Thanks. She really is a dream. We are expecting our second and we can't help but think the second one will be the little hellion. And no we don't take her to fancy restaurants, we mostly stick to the Chile's, Tumbleweeds, TGI Fridays, & Max & Erma's type places. Not super fancy, but nice enough to learn how to act out in public.

It is all about teaching manners and proper behavior in certain situations. Kids aren't going to learn it on their own. The ones that run around and are unruly are the same ones the parents ignore while they do it. They have to be disciplined or they won't learn, simple as that.

The "kids will be kids" and need to run around to get their energy out line of thinking is hogwash. I'm willing to bet there is a correlation to the parents with that attitude towards their children and the child developing ADD.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 03-16-06, 02:40 PM   #142
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
[IMG]Thanks. She really is a dream. We are expecting our second and we can't help but think the second one will be the little hellion. And no we don't take her to fancy restaurants, we mostly stick to the Chile's, Tumbleweeds, TGI Fridays, & Max & Erma's type places. Not super fancy, but nice enough to learn how to act out in public.

It is all about teaching manners and proper behavior in certain situations. Kids aren't going to learn it on their own. The ones that run around and are unruly are the same ones the parents ignore while they do it. They have to be disciplined or they won't learn, simple as that.

The "kids will be kids" and need to run around to get their energy out line of thinking is hogwash. I'm willing to bet there is a correlation to the parents with that attitude towards their children and the child developing ADD.
What a little doll!

I am glad you have the attitude that you do, because parents like you may represent society's last feeble hope of ever producing a generation that can live in the world with others. Thank you for not teaching your daughter what too many parents will nowadays -- that children belong everywhere and people who don't think so are asshats.
Old 03-16-06, 07:07 PM   #143
spayne377
Cool New Member

Quote:
The people here are lazy. They've usually asked for pics by now.
Maybe they figure if it took me this long to post I might spook easy.

Cute kid, MC!

Stacy
Old 03-16-06, 07:50 PM   #144
Cedrock

arggh i hate this, im 20 and went out to a chinese buffet. I thought it was mcdonalds ball pit for a second. I saw the same 6 kids running by at least once every 2,3 minutes. Under chairs, between tables, i was hoping to see one of the employees get kung-fu on them. Anyway totally unacceptable, their parents need to keep them under control. I just said something "wise" every few times they would run by. Just wish i could trip them with no consequences.
Old 03-16-06, 10:28 PM   #145
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

LMAO at "get kung-fu on them"!

MC, that is the cutest darned picture.

I do hae to say that our 18 month old is petty well behaved in restaurants as well. Nothing unusual from her, she even wipes down the table and chair before and after she eats. Aside from the cutsie stuff, she does the normal 18 month old things... says hi to the neighbor table and drops her napkin on the floor to get my attention once or twice. That's kid behavior. Running around the place when your 5, 8, 12.. not acceptable.

I would say though that if someone did say something to my child for simply playing (IF they were playing around) we'd exchange words. You do NOT hae another parent's permission to discipline their child in any way, shape or form, nor shuld you ever say anything about your problem with the parent's lack of parental skills in front of the child. I think that starts a whole other issue for that parent that you wouln't expect, just to give yourself the higher-up.

I still don't want your fricken kid kicking my seat though.
Old 03-16-06, 11:51 PM   #146
greg9x
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast
I would say though that if someone did say something to my child for simply playing (IF they were playing around) we'd exchange words. You do NOT hae another parent's permission to discipline their child in any way, shape or form, nor shuld you ever say anything about your problem with the parent's lack of parental skills in front of the child. I think that starts a whole other issue for that parent that you wouln't expect, just to give yourself the higher-up.

Hmmm.. 'Simply playing' to alot of parents is "letting your little brat run amok' to everyone else... I think very few people would say something unless the kid was doing something they should not be doing in public... of course they should say something to you first...but if a parent is not doing thier job and their kid is causing a disruption you should be more embarassed someone else had to say something to your kid instead of 'exchanging words' with them.
But of course that's not the case, hence the thread !
Old 03-17-06, 08:12 AM   #147
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
What a little doll!
Quote:
Cute kid, MC!
Quote:
Thanks.

Now Playing
Old 03-17-06, 08:16 AM   #148
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
melba -- although I'm not a parent, I do agree with you that it is very rude to correct a child in front of its parent or to criticize their parenting skills. I think that's one reason why kids get so wild in public sometimes -- people are reluctant to speak up.

I have found in situations like this that it's best to be slightly apologetic in your approach, even if you're seething. That's much harder than just saying "For Christ's sake, would you CURB your little brat?" which may be why so few people try it.
Old 03-17-06, 09:02 AM   #149
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
LMAO at "get kung-fu on them"!

I do hae to say that our 18 month old is petty well behaved in restaurants as well. Nothing unusual from her, she even wipes down the table and chair before and after she eats. Aside from the cutsie stuff, she does the normal 18 month old things... says hi to the neighbor table and drops her napkin on the floor to get my attention once or twice. That's kid behavior. Running around the place when your 5, 8, 12.. not acceptable.

Bzzzz. Wrong. If your kid is running around inside a public place not meant for kids to play in, ie: RESTAURANTS, I'm going to say something to you. It will be something like "Please rein in your kids because they're presenting a hazard to other people right now." That's only if I feel nice.

If your kid runs past my table more than once, I will stick my foot to the side, you know, to get more comfortable in my seat. I cannot be held responsible if your kid is running around, trips on my foot, and plows headfirst into the carpet.
Old 03-17-06, 09:07 AM   #150
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllefoo
If your kid runs past my table more than once, I will stick my foot to the side, you know, to get more comfortable in my seat. I cannot be held responsible if your kid is running around, trips on my foot, and plows headfirst into the carpet.
Cause a crying at the top of their lungs-screaming-bleeding with a busted lip kid is less annoying than one running around laughing.

That whole stooping to one's level comes to mind. Not a very mature way to handle things.

Now Playing
Sponsored Links