Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Is it okay for kids to run around a restaurant?
Yes-they're kids 4 1.87%
No-not acceptable 201 93.93%
Undecided-maybe if they are quiet? 3 1.40%
I don't vote in polls 6 2.80%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-06, 09:27 AM   #101
mllefoo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
i think a lot of people have very clouded memories of their own childhood. Any child that continually sits quietly and behaves is either abused, on ritalin or destined to be anti-social.

I expect children at restaurants to chatter, cry, and otherwise make the kinds of noises that make me cringe. I expect toddlers to drop food from high chairs, throw crayons across the table, and have a tantrum when mom suddenly pulls her plate of food away from him. I also expect people to change diapers when they need to.

I may not enjoy the sound of children's voices, as they cut through me like a dentist drill, but I can deal with that. What I can't deal with are undisciplined brats who do any of the following:

Climb over the back of the booth and try to talk to me or dribble food/spittle/toys on me.

Run around inside the restaurant. It's a hazard as many others have pointed out.

Scream at the top of their lungs continuously. I expect crying babies. I just don't want parents to be deaf to their children because I don't have that power. If the kid starts screaming, march his ass outside and make him stop. My mom did this to me and I remember it clearly. Nobody likes to be excluded.

Wander up to me and stand there as I try to eat. Look, I don't like kids. I'll be the first to admit that I got myself fixed because I can't stand kids. I don't think they're cute, and I think they're even less cute when they're unsupervised in public. Don't let your kid wander around to other tables. It just isn't cool.

If you can take care of avoiding all of the above at a restaurant, I will sincerely appreciate it and I will show my appreciation by not sticking my foot out to trip your kid when he's pelting across the restaurant like a little hottentot on speed.

And here's a little tip: don't change the diaper anywhere outside the bathroom and then leave the diaper somewhere for the employees to find later. That's just revolting. When I worked at Imaginarium, some asshole left a crappy diaper stuffed behind some toys on a high shelf and we had to hunt down the source of the smell and were disgusted at what we found.
Old 03-15-06, 10:03 AM   #102
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllefoo
I expect children at restaurants to chatter, cry, and otherwise make the kinds of noises that make me cringe.

What I can't deal with are undisciplined brats who do any of the following:

Wander up to me and stand there as I try to eat.
Exactly.

My child isn't on Ritalin, she isn't abused, she just knows how to act because I as a parent has taught her, and continue to teach her how to behave in public. She can scream and laugh and play with the best of them, when it's appropriate.

I think adults don't give kids credit for being somewhat intelligent and some hang their hat on letting their children run wild because of that. Kids, at an early age, can be taught positive behavior while letting them express their child-like imaginations. You know, give your kid some crayons and draw with them, read to them, stuff like that.

And one of the things I can't stand is when my daughter eyeballs someone else's plate, I make sure to correct her when she does that.
Old 03-15-06, 10:46 AM   #103
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
i think a lot of people have very clouded memories of their own childhood. Any child that continually sits quietly and behaves is either abused, on ritalin or destined to be anti-social.
I think I know someone that was an obnoxious child.
Old 03-15-06, 11:04 AM   #104
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's clear that tons of us have the same thoughts about children having such ill manners when in public and that should tell us all that we collectively need to do something about it. Parents, please stop ignoring your kids so you can talk on your cell phone, socialize with your friends, pick up on men/women, or whatever the hell it is you are doing. Pay attention to the child that you wanted to bring in to this world in the first place. It's that chiild who will be giving you the very same treatment when you need it later in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseang
I would say from the tone of many of these posts, most of the poster's do not have children. It is not the children's fault, it is the parents fault. Remember these little "hell beast's" will be paying your social security some day. : )
I actually have 3 children of my own as well, ranging from 18 months 10 11 years - but I have very strong feelings about this subject and refuse to let my children become little asshats. They don't alwasys show the proper respect towards me at home, but they'd better show respect while out in public and to those around them. A restaurant is not their public playground, nor is the movie theather, shopping mall, Wal-Mart or fricken bead store I was in the other day where some lady's kids were playing underneath the tables and grabbing at beads and tossing them.

Oh, as for the Social Security comment... don't get me started.
Old 03-15-06, 11:13 AM   #105
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I have no clouded memories of my childhood. I was a very well mannered child because my parents taught me manners and respect. I am by no means anti-social now! Unfortunately in today's society we've lost that mentality somewhere and I think it all has to do with being afriad of going to jail for any little thing that we say or do to our kids. You can barely yell at your kid nowadays without some crazed maniac calling the cops on you and reporting you to social services for abuse.

Mllfoo also brings up a few good points. Just because we love our kids doesn't mean that everyone else does and we shouldn't assume that everyone else will so we should just shove them down their throats. Think about when your adorable little one walks up to someone at the restaurant while you are waiting to be seated just to say hi and is all cutsey and wants to talk to her.. yes your kid is cute, but that person doesn't necessarily agree, and may completely hate kids. Do you really want your kid in that situation too? It's a two way street people.

Last edited by melbatoast; 03-15-06 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 11:30 AM   #106
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

kids naturally have a lot of energy, like to run around and are curious. Crazy running kids around a restaraunt may be poor manners, but some of you people think that kids should always sit quietly whereever they are. Not going to happen.

Whenever kids are together they will start playing with each other and making noise. the most you can do is give them a coloring book or a PSP to channel the energy somewhere else. They don't think about how they are supposed to be quiet to be respectful to others simply because they haven't developed the moral framework for it. there was that guy who developed the five levels of morality and said people don't fully develop until late teens early 20's.

And I've seen just as much obnoxious adults getting drunk and yelling at the sportsgame on TV as kids playing around with each other.

Last edited by al_bundy; 03-15-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 12:10 PM   #107
Daytripper
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Wolfgang Puck's in Orlando with three other adults for dinner. OK, I know Orlando is a town where parents let their kids go ape shit. We wait at the bar for nearly an hour for our table. Once seated, we realize we have a "situation" next to us. There were five adults and their kids (speaking French). The adults were still enjoying their meal and drinks. Their kids? Everywhere. One was under the table banging the leg with a knife. Another kid was behind the adults on a shelf that goes behind the tables, CRAWLING on it (!!) The others, running up and down the aisles. All parties around them were giving the adults the eye, but no one would say anything. They looked to be finishing up so I didn't either. The worst part is, neither did the manager of the restaurant. My friend walked up to him (who had been walking past their table quiet a bit) and said "Would you please do something about that family, they are ruining everyone's time here". He said he'd take care of it. But did nothing. If you don't hate kids already, go to Orlando. You will after that. The very next day, in our hotel, there was a small child running up and down the hall at 7:00 AM screaming at the top of his lungs. I opened the door and told him to be quiet. His mother, who was in their room with the door half opened walked to the door and responded to me (get this) "He's on vacation too!". To which I said "Vacation from what? He's a kid. It's 7:00 AM, control your child!". And slammed the door. No more noise.
Old 03-15-06, 01:03 PM   #108
kitkat
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
kids naturally have a lot of energy, like to run around and are curious. Crazy running kids around a restaraunt may be poor manners, but some of you people think that kids should always sit quietly whereever they are. Not going to happen.
I read the entire thread and I haven't seen anyone here who thinks they should always sit quietly wherever they are, even the people who hate kids. The consensus seems to be that they should be able to behave themselves when they are in a restaurant, and if they can't their parents have no business taking them there in the first place. I completely agree with that.
Old 03-15-06, 01:09 PM   #109
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
kids naturally have a lot of energy, like to run around and are curious.

agreed

Crazy running kids around a restaraunt may be poor manners, but some of you people think that kids should always sit quietly whereever they are. Not going to happen.

I've looked again, and still can't find the "always". It appears most of us only take issue with this behavior in restaurants. And proper behavior does happen, I've actually seen children behaving well in restaurants (according to you they must have been abused).

Whenever kids are together they will start playing with each other and making noise. the most you can do is give them a coloring book or a PSP to channel the energy somewhere else.

Better yet, if they're so naturally rambunctious and uncontrollable, don't bring them to the restaurant.

They don't think about how they are supposed to be quiet to be respectful to others simply because they haven't developed the moral framework for it. there was that guy who developed the five levels of morality and said people don't fully develop until late teens early 20's.

I don't consider a person to be a human being until they approach 30, but I still expect a certain level of decorum from everyone.

And I've seen just as much obnoxious adults getting drunk and yelling at the sportsgame on TV as kids playing around with each other.

"Obnoxious..." Exactly
I don't think you really are a member of the "Deal with it" team, but it almost sounds like it.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 03-15-06, 01:19 PM   #110
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

I think we know who one of the four people voting "Yes-they're kids" is.
Old 03-15-06, 01:55 PM   #111
iggystar

Quote:
kids naturally have a lot of energy, like to run around and are curious.

Soooooo, if your child has lots of energy he/she should never sit quietly? How long does dinner take, one, two hours max? If a child cannot sit still for that amount of time without terrorizing everyone in the restaurant, then I hate to see how they would be able to sit in a classroom without disrupting my kid who knows there is a time and place for running about and having fun.

Oh and melba, I'm with you. My kid is no angel, she gets out of line at home from time to time, but she knows in public she needs to have her "A" game on.
Old 03-15-06, 02:02 PM   #112
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayne377
I can't tell you all how many times I've left a restaurant or store because of out of control kids.

Sounds like you need to change your MO for selecting a location for dining....

I don't think I've ever left a restaurant for reasons related to anyone's kids....although there was this one time at a Chuck-E-Cheese....
Old 03-15-06, 02:06 PM   #113
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar
Oh and melba, I'm with you. My kid is no angel, she gets out of line at home from time to time, but she knows in public she needs to have her "A" game on.
Sooo, can I smack my kid and you won't call social services on me?

Just kidding.

Kinda.
Old 03-15-06, 02:09 PM   #114
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind if you felt you had to smack your kid, as long as you took them outside to do it. Heck, then you could snag their t-shirt to the bumper and threaten to drive around for a few minutes.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 03-15-06, 02:28 PM   #115
iggystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast
Sooo, can I smack my kid and you won't call social services on me?

Just kidding.

Kinda.
Nope I won't tell.

My thought is though, if you love, teach and use balanced discipline with you children you shouldn't have to smack them....that often.

Seriously, my daughter is good to go with a stern talking to (sometimes with a raised voice ) and punishment when needed. I think I might have popped her less than 5 times in her entire 8-year old life.

Last edited by iggystar; 03-15-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 02:32 PM   #116
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope it pleases you all to know that I refrained from taking my smart mouthed kids out to lunch this afternoon; because of their smart mouths. Actually it was just my 11 year old daughter with the mouth, but I was about to go through that with her in public.
Old 03-15-06, 02:37 PM   #117
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Sounds like you need to change your MO for selecting a location for dining....

I don't think I've ever left a restaurant for reasons related to anyone's kids....although there was this one time at a Chuck-E-Cheese....
I don't think anyone here has a problem with kids at Chuck-E-Cheese or other restaurants clearly marketed for the kidlets.

However, there ARE parents who feel that their little darlings are so adorable they should be taken everywhere, including restaurants clearly marketed for ADULTS, where you sit down to formally laid tables and order off a menu that doesn't have a "Kids Fare" section with fish fingers and burgers.

When I go to restaurants that are clearly upscale, or that serve cocktails, to me, those are adult restaurants -- NOT meant for the booster chair set. And if parents take their children there and they don't behave -- as far as I'm concerned, the parents deserve whatever criticism or dirty looks they may get, rude as that may be.
Old 03-15-06, 02:37 PM   #118
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast
I hope it pleases you all to know that I refrained from taking my smart mouthed kids out to lunch this afternoon; because of their smart mouths. Actually it was just my 11 year old daughter with the mouth, but I was about to go through that with her in public.
Glad to see you have control of that situation.....
Old 03-15-06, 02:37 PM   #119
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

Old 03-15-06, 02:38 PM   #120
Minor Threat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I don't think anyone here has a problem with kids at Chuck-E-Cheese or other restaurants clearly marketed for the kidlets.

However, there ARE parents who feel that their little darlings are so adorable they should be taken everywhere, including restaurants clearly marketed for ADULTS, where you sit down to formally laid tables and order off a menu that doesn't have a "Kids Fare" section with fish fingers and burgers.

When I go to restaurants that are clearly upscale, or that serve cocktails, to me, those are adult restaurants -- NOT meant for the booster chair set. And if parents take their children there and they don't behave -- as far as I'm concerned, the parents deserve whatever criticism or dirty looks they may get, rude as that may be.

Yeah, I agree with everything you just said, it kinda affirms my post. I think we need to petition for a tongue in cheek smilie.....

Where's Thor anyways?
Old 03-15-06, 02:45 PM   #121
foofighters7

Anyone who allows their children to run around and be monsters in a nice resturant should be shot on site. Then the children should be shot so this crazy idiotic thought process will die, and we normal human beings can eat in peace. Last thing we would want is to wipe out the disease in the adults only to see it come back when the affected children grow up and have spawns of satan themselves.

It all goes back to dumbass people who have no regard for anyone but themselves. I say WHO NEEDS EM??
Old 03-15-06, 04:10 PM   #122
melbatoast
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Agreed.
Old 03-15-06, 04:28 PM   #123
kitkat
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many upscale restaurants actually do have a kid's menu. I have a niece and nephew who know how behave themselves, and we've had a few nice famliy dinners out with no problems. Of course, we'd never go to those places when the kids were in the throes of their terrible twos.
Old 03-15-06, 05:38 PM   #124
spayne377
Cool New Member

Quote:

Thank you! That's exactly what I meant! I do tend to stay away from the child infested dining choices because there are so many parents that allow their children to run wild. Chuck E. Cheese? Never! I value my sanity far too much to go to a pizza joint like that.

I am relatively okay with a couple of outbursts from kids. It's to be expected. But I do expect the parents to nip it in the bud before it becomes out of control. I realize that parents are somewhat acclimated to the noise from the kids, but think of the others that aren't. Yes, they have the right to have an enjoyable meal out of the house, but so do others.

And yes... I don't have kids. My mother was schizophrenic as well as mildly developmentally disabled, and I did not want to chance passing on the defective genes to a child. I was being responsible about it. Plus, honestly... I don't like kids! Okay, there are a few gems out there that I sincerely like. I'm not a total hater.

Stacy
Old 03-15-06, 05:53 PM   #125
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar
Exactly.

My child isn't on Ritalin, she isn't abused, she just knows how to act because I as a parent has taught her, and continue to teach her how to behave in public. She can scream and laugh and play with the best of them, when it's appropriate.

I think adults don't give kids credit for being somewhat intelligent and some hang their hat on letting their children run wild because of that. Kids, at an early age, can be taught positive behavior while letting them express their child-like imaginations. You know, give your kid some crayons and draw with them, read to them, stuff like that.

And one of the things I can't stand is when my daughter eyeballs someone else's plate, I make sure to correct her when she does that.
Exactly. Parenting takes time...A LOT of time. I've heard parents bitch and moan because they need to spend a full day potty-training. There aren't very many shortcuts in parenting, so people need to stop looking. Medication wasn't made to manage your kids...it is your job.

Children can be taught to behave, and it starts in the house. Someone mentioned working with the kids in a dinner setting at home before putting them in a restuarant. I don't want parents to take this the wrong way, but young kids are actually EASIER to train at a young age than a pet because they are much smarter and have a much higher capacity to acquire and utilize knowledge.

-p
Sponsored Links