Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-09-06, 09:34 AM   #26
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I really, really want to know how she came to see this note. I doubt it got stuck in with her scrip.

One place I worked, we had a code for difficult customers. In the blank on the order sheet where the person taking the order puts their initials, we would add a smiley face.
One customer routinely got smiley faces with hearts around them!
Old 03-09-06, 09:41 AM   #27
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I have no problem with the notes section being used to warn other employees about her problematic nature. But there is a professional way to say the same thing as "Crazy...Psycho!!!" How about, "Volatile customer. Treat with care. Do not discuss meds by name." etc? Same effect, much more professional, and a lot less likely to get you sued. Sometimes you have to stop acting like a teenager, even though you may not want to.
I also agree. Those who work in health care in any capacity need to have a little more common sense. Not to mention there are health care laws regarding privacy...I'm not saying any of those laws were broken, but those laws are extensive. As someone who works in the health care industry, I know. Even among co-workers we aren't supposed to have discussions about our members if we aren't specifically working on their case.

I still think she doesn't have a case, but wouldn't be surprised if she got some money.
Old 03-09-06, 09:49 AM   #28
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar
I also agree. Those who work in health care in any capacity need to have a little more common sense. Not to mention there are health care laws regarding privacy...I'm not saying any of those laws were broken, but those laws are extensive. As someone who works in the health care industry, I know. Even among co-workers we aren't supposed to have discussions about our members if we aren't specifically working on their case.

I still think she doesn't have a case, but wouldn't be surprised if she got some money.
What? How does this do anything with HIPAA laws?

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Also, a teenager could have been the one acting "like a teenager" which is pretty much what one would expect, no?
Old 03-09-06, 09:54 AM   #29
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
My brother owns a pizza shop, and we write shit like this all the time in the computer. If someone calls, immediately we put their number in the computer. There is a comments field that doesnt print out on the reciept. Usually it contains something good in it "fuck her don't take her order" or "tell them it will be over an hour, they always bitch" or "big tipper" or "wife has nice tits" and there is always the occasional "wash you hands after you take the money, the bitch is raving cumdumpster..."

...The bosses # has "fuck that fat fred flinstone looking mother fucker..."

...good times...good times...
Same when I worked at Domino's. There's a notes section, but weirdly it'll print on the credit card receipt but no where else. One time there was a note "guy doesn't tip" and the customer saw it and complained.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-09-06, 10:01 AM   #30
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Also, a teenager could have been the one acting "like a teenager" which is pretty much what one would expect, no?
So if you owned a business employing teens, you'd encourage them to be themselves and not professionals?
Old 03-09-06, 10:02 AM   #31
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit, I'm on some of those same meds that she's probably on, and I go to Walgreens. It's not fair. I need to raise a stink now so something like this can happen and I can cash in too.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-06, 10:09 AM   #32
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
So if you owned a business employing teens, you'd encourage them to be themselves and not professionals?
Wow, that's exactly what I said.
Old 03-09-06, 10:13 AM   #33
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Wow, that's exactly what I said.
It certainly looks like you're saying that we should expect non-professional behavior from teens and that to react to such non-professional behavior is "making a mountain out of a molehill".
Old 03-09-06, 10:14 AM   #34
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar

Also, is it the smartest idea to leave notes to the person who is "crazy" that they are a psycho?
Old 03-09-06, 10:19 AM   #35
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I'm intrigued. What could a movie renter do that's worthy of being smeared? "Never rewinds?" "Watches lame movies?"
Nope, usually if they claim a movie is defective just to get a free rental, claims they returned a movie which they obviously never did, or just acts like a douchebag in general.
Old 03-09-06, 10:34 AM   #36
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

They shouldn't have done it, but she shouldn't get a pay day out of it. I love how she says she is so embarrassed, yet she makes a stink over it so that the whole country now knows about it.
Old 03-09-06, 10:36 AM   #37
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It certainly looks like you're saying that we should expect non-professional behavior from teens and that to react to such non-professional behavior is "making a mountain out of a molehill".
I'd like to give Bushy the benefit of the doubt. I believe that we should expect unprofessional behavior from teens, I know I do. I don't think I would employ teens in certain positions where an illegal immigrant would work harder and be more loyal. I also believe that teens belong in work camps.

j/k!

mostly... mostly...

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 03-09-06, 10:38 AM   #38
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Nope, usually if they claim a movie is defective just to get a free rental, claims they returned a movie which they obviously never did, or just acts like a douchebag in general.
Yep, based on my experience working at a video store, you could also add things like "customer likes to try returning a movie 3 hours later claiming they already saw it and wants to exchange it", "don't reserve movies for them-they never come and pick them up", etc. Hell there are tons of possiblities. Lots of customers try to pull scams or are just idiots. God I hated that business.
Old 03-09-06, 10:41 AM   #39
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock
Yep, based on my experience working at a video store, you could also add things like "customer likes to try returning a movie 3 hours later claiming they already saw it and wants to exchange it", "don't reserve movies for them-they never come and pick them up", etc. Hell there are tons of possiblities. Lots of customers try to pull scams or are just idiots. God I hated that business.
Nothing wrong with those notes, I did the same thing when I worked at Blockbuster. There's a difference between the above and "customer likes to try returning a movie 3 hours later claiming they already saw it and wants to exchange it -- what a total douchebag!" or "don't reserve movies for them-they never come and pick them up because they are pathetic, inconsiderate jerks!"
Old 03-09-06, 10:51 AM   #40
squidget

I work in a call center and we put notes in peoples files all the time. Customers never see their cases so its no big thing. It's a warning to the next person what kind of possible customer they are getting, also helps for hostile account take over situations. (asking for a challenge phrase, only get things in writting, etc)
In a money making idea only marketing can come up with, they wanted to make the cases public to customers for a fee. After going through a sample of cases that idea was dismiss quickly. Too many notes read as angry bitch, crazy mofo, complete dumbass... you get the idea.
Old 03-09-06, 11:59 AM   #41
iggystar

Quote:
What? How does this do anything with HIPAA laws?

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

What does having a conversation between co-workers who work at the same HMO about member information have to do with HIPPA? (Don't have conversations regarding member information on the floor)

What does having a claim number, with no member information on a sticky note at your desk have to do with HIPPA? (Turn over or toss any claim information that is on your desk.)

These are just two of the areas that have been addressed where I work.

I'm don't make the mountains, others do and regardless if the person is a teenager or not, if you're handling medical information you should be more discerning. This is something I've also learned from working at a retail pharmacy chain.

Once again, do I think this woman has a case. No. Which is something I stated in my original response. Do I think she'll get some money, it's possible, lots of people sue over mundane issues and get settlements. I don't agree, but that't the reality of the world we live in. Read posts more carefully please.
Old 03-09-06, 12:22 PM   #42
ivelostr2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I'm intrigued. What could a movie renter do that's worthy of being smeared? "Never rewinds?" "Watches lame movies?"
"I didn;t appreciate her ruse. Her cuning attempt to trick me..."
Old 03-09-06, 12:32 PM   #43
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I have no problem with immature teenagers handing me an ice cream cone, totalling my grocery order, or "ranking" on people when they are hanging out at the mall. That I expect.

I would never expect immature or childish behavior from anyone working behind the counter at a pharmacy for the same reason I don't expect surgeons to play "hide the cheese" with people they are operating on or bank tellers to announce in a loud, clear voice, "Ladies and Gentlmen, Mr. Morgasson has bounched check #5 this week!"

I understand that some levity is required in every job. It helps combat stress and keeps employees sane. However, that should never supercede established rules and constraints or the norms of professionally following through in that position.

This event is not a "molehill" and I would look at it very seriously. Certainly the employees who made these comments should be fired at the very least. While I don't think this woman deserves $5MM in damages, keep in mind Walgreen's made $1.5BN in profits last year.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 03-09-06, 12:42 PM   #44
ivelostr2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
I have no problem with immature teenagers handing me an ice cream cone, totalling my grocery order, or "ranking" on people when they are hanging out at the mall. That I expect.

I would never expect immature or childish behavior from anyone working behind the counter at a pharmacy for the same reason I don't expect surgeons to play "hide the cheese" with people they are operating on or bank tellers to announce in a loud, clear voice, "Ladies and Gentlmen, Mr. Morgasson has bounched check #5 this week!"

I understand that some levity is required in every job. It helps combat stress and keeps employees sane. However, that should never supercede established rules and constraints or the norms of professionally following through in that position.

This event is not a "molehill" and I would look at it very seriously. Certainly the employees who made these comments should be fired at the very least. While I don't think this woman deserves $5MM in damages, keep in mind Walgreen's made $1.5BN in profits last year.

Even though i make light of this early on in this thread, i agree, there are certain positions that require even a little maturity when dealing with customers. The person getting anchovies and onions can be made fun of, they have weird taste but they aren't afflicted, or stgmatized in any way like a person getting head medicine. She has a legitimate bitch, now she has a reason to think people are talking about her, because she has prrof that they were...
Old 03-09-06, 12:54 PM   #45
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Get your eyes checked, or leave your agenda at the door.

I said expect, nowhere did I say accept. I was reacting to the comments about an expectation of professionalism. I expect a lack of it from kids. I don't like it, and have been known to take issue with it but I'd be an idiot to find it surprising.

And 'mountain out of molehill' was to the comment that making notes about a customer and then leaving it on the counter was even potentially in violation of HIPAA laws. Edited to add: This wasn't commentary about her medicines, it was commentary about her behavior as a customer.

Last edited by Bushdog; 03-09-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 12:58 PM   #46
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
"Fired at the very least"? What at the most, send them to jail? Execute them? Fired at the very most, seems more like it.

Are you suggesting that people should collect different amounts based on how deep the pockets are of the company they are suing? And again, what are the appropriate legal grounds for a suit here?
Old 03-09-06, 01:05 PM   #47
iggystar

Quote:
And 'mountain out of molehill' was to the comment that making notes about a customer and then leaving it on the counter was even potentially in violation of HIPAA laws.
Do you work in the health care sector? Do you know that in many doctors offices there are signs posted that during check in you should stand away from other patients just so they can't "hear" any dialogue being given to the clerk?

I didn't pass the HIPPA laws, but they are here. Many in the industry are being extra careful, and sometimes a little paranoid, but that's what's going on.
Old 03-09-06, 01:15 PM   #48
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really curious how this lady got her hands on the notes in their system. Walgreens should obviously look into her report and take whatever action is appropriate, but they shouldn't have to pay any cash to this lady. At worst, it's bad customer service. If I was in a store and got into an argument with an employee and heard them call me crazy or an asshole as I was walking away, I'd probably complain. I might even stop shopping there. But I sure as hell wouldn't think, 'Hey, now there's some grounds for a lawsuit!'
Old 03-09-06, 01:17 PM   #49
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm really curious how this lady got her hands on the notes in their system.

That's what I'm wondering as well.

I don't really find much difference in calling someone crazy versus saying they are dificult to deal with. If it's an internal note I find it hard to tell the difference.
Old 03-09-06, 01:21 PM   #50
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm really curious how this lady got her hands on the notes in their system.
I hear she lept over the counter and took control of the PC.
Sponsored Links