Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-28-06, 01:08 PM   #1
Double Down

Shaving question: products to deal with moderate to severe razor burn??

My skin is pretty sensitive and I have a tendency to get moderate to severe razor burn on my neck almost every morning after shaving.

I have tried the eShave after-shave cream with shea butter and the Jack Black razor defense cream (both of which I was told are amazing), and neither really helped.

I was at Nordstom's this weekend and a sales rep told me that Body Tools Repair & Protect cream is fantastic, but it's very expensive. Body Tools is apparently a Los Angeles-based company and only sells through a limited number of stores. I tried looking online for reviews, but can't find any other than the "testimonials" on the Body Tools website.

Anyway, does anybody here suffer from this problem and, if so, have you found any products that really help?

Me and my neck thank you.
Old 02-28-06, 01:26 PM   #2
Richard Malloy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After-shave can help, but at that point the damage is done. I've found that normal shaving cream - even the "special" kind for heavy beards/tender skin - doesn't work as well as a really slippery soap. I like Cetaphyl.

The only real relief I've found is by, first, taking a hot shower and letting the water "soften" up the beard, use Cetaphyl soap instead of shaving cream, always use a really sharp razor (more than three shaves on one blade I've found is too much).
Old 02-28-06, 01:26 PM   #3
heimerSWT

I was a sufferer of razor burn for a long time, and all kinds of different lotions and balms were useless to me. I've finally found a way to control it, and it is kind of a regimen I use.

The first thing is that I use an electric razor. My neck hair grows in several different directions. I wish I could use a "real" razor blade, but I haven't gotten the patience yet to try and allow my skin to get used to a new type of shave.

This is what I do, and it works for me:
Shave immediately after a shower. I use body wash/soap, and lather it up and leave it on my neck for at least a minute. I rinse, and wash my neck again.

After drying, I shave with the electric razor. Immediately after, I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and apply it over the entire shaved area. After the alcohol dries, I use Neutrogena Razor Defense after shave Lotion.

Since I started the alcohol/Neutrogena lotion combo, I've been VERY happy with the lack of razor burn and bumps.

twitter | last.fm
Old 02-28-06, 01:46 PM   #4
Matt925
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have sensitive skin as well. I shave immediately following my shower, use gillette shaving gel which I really like, and for my neck I have to shave "upwards" going with the grain. And for my mustache I have to shave downwards. Doesn't provide the closest possible shave, but I don't get razor burn when I do it.
Old 02-28-06, 02:05 PM   #5
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try using shaving oil. You should be able to find it at Target. I can't use shaving cream at all anymore.
Old 02-28-06, 02:11 PM   #6
twikoff
DVD Talk God

have you tried shaving with butter?
Old 02-28-06, 02:25 PM   #7
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

haven't used after shave in years

I wash my face with some shaving soap. I'm using Mary Kay Cosmetics for men right now. But you can find a good one at Nordstrom.

Wash face, dry and then shave. Apply a good amount of shaving cream. I think that washing is key since it makes the hairs stand up.
Old 02-28-06, 02:36 PM   #8
HN
DVD Talk Limited Edition

have you tried shaving in the shower? it's the smoothest shave i can get. i can do it without a mirror now, but i'm vietnamese so it might be easier for me.
Old 02-28-06, 02:45 PM   #9
Palaver
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt925
I have sensitive skin as well. I shave immediately following my shower, use gillette shaving gel which I really like, and for my neck I have to shave "upwards" going with the grain. And for my mustache I have to shave downwards. Doesn't provide the closest possible shave, but I don't get razor burn when I do it.
My exact same routine.
Old 02-28-06, 02:47 PM   #10
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN
have you tried shaving in the shower? it's the smoothest shave i can get. i can do it without a mirror now, but i'm vietnamese so it might be easier for me.
the hair on my face grows extremely fast, and I shave in the shower.. very smooth and no irritation.. i refuse to shave outside of the shower anymore
Old 02-28-06, 03:24 PM   #11
digitalfreaknyc
Banned

TEND SKIN

How many of these threads do we need to have? Seems like it comes up constantly.
Old 02-28-06, 03:25 PM   #12
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Try changing your razor. Different blades give me different results. Rinse your face in hot water, but keep the blade cold. Shave with the grain. Really soak your face.

I also shave in the shower. Now, when I shave in front of a mirror, I get confused.
Old 03-01-06, 03:46 AM   #13
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNi
can do it without a mirror now, but i'm vietnamese so it might be easier for me.
WTF?!?!
Old 03-01-06, 03:52 AM   #14
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just let it grow like a wildman.
Old 03-01-06, 09:13 AM   #15
tbone

I also shave in the shower and it's the best shave I have ever gotten. Here's my routine: First, I wash my face. Then I slap on some shaving cream and shave with the grain. Next I apply a shaving gel and shave against the grain. Gets my face smooth as a baby's butt.
Old 03-01-06, 09:25 AM   #16
Geofferson

2 things that helped me battle razor burn:

1) the razor - I recently switched to a safety razor (Merkur) and haven't looked back
2) pre-shave oil - I apply Zirh pre-shave oil to my neck and let sit for one minute before I apply shave soap.
Old 03-01-06, 07:01 PM   #17
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
TEND SKIN

I know people who swear by this stuff. Frankly, I'm not sure it workd on me.
Old 03-01-06, 11:42 PM   #18
naitram
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you don't mind spending about $15 to get your face back, then go to one of those fancy cosmetic sections at a department store, and get the Clinique after shave lotion stuff. I don't remember what it's called exactly, but the ladies there will know. I used it for about a year, and my razor burn and bumps went away.

Now I go cheaper and use Nivia after shave lotion. It's ok if you're face isn't already in bad shape, but doesn't soothe quite as nice as Clinique. Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-06, 04:56 AM   #19
Forum Troll
Suspended

=o

I use Carmex on my razor burn. Works better than anything else I've tried.
Old 03-09-06, 09:23 AM   #20
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Some guys at work were talking about this today: Solution 2. It looks like it's essentially Tend Skin with a rollerball applicator and a minty smell. I don't know if either of these products work, but it's worth looking into if you're still searching.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 03-09-06, 09:38 AM   #21
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone try the Fusion yet? My Mach3 was getting old and rusty so I bought a Fusion last week. No complaints so far.