Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-27-06, 01:26 PM   #1
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone live near a NASCAR track?

There are tentative plans to build an 80,000 seat track here on Staten Island, about three miles from my house.
Traffic is lousy enough around here, but I can only imagine what it would be like on race day. The ISC has all kinds of plans to alleviate it; mandating that people must park off-island and take shuttle buses in, etc. Still, that means hundreds of buses coming in at once. The streets around here weren't designed to accomodate as many cars as there are now, so it's a nightmare waiting to happen. Not to mention the noise.
So, does a NASCAR track destroy the local way of life?
Also, will a track increase or decrease property values?
Old 02-27-06, 01:37 PM   #2
Phil L.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't live near a track. The closest one to me now is Pocono and I have been there to see a race and the traffic is awe inspiring (and not in a good way). The same goes for Loudon NH where I have also attended a race.

But...the worst traffic is mostly just the one race day. Well two if there is a Busch race on Sat. There is all the associated stuff like venders etc. who will help clog things up for a couple week days prior to the race, but it is nothing like actual race day.

That being said, it is only that short window of aggravation for those living nearby. I'm much more concerned about that stupid asshat Xanadu, giant mall and indoor entertainment and activity center they are building here in northeast NJ. Here where traffic is already above capacity, this idiotic thing will make things worse *every* day.
Old 02-27-06, 02:15 PM   #3
MrTerrific

I live near the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, Ga(probably 3-4 miles). I generally try to stay off the roads on Saturday and Sunday of the race. DO NOT attempt to go out after a race. Bumper to Bumper traffic for miles.

I can barely hear the cars on race day. Otherwise everything is fine.

Luckily the DOT has widened a road(from 2 lane to 4 lane) that leads directly to I-75, hopefully that will help the NASCAR fans.
Old 02-27-06, 02:24 PM   #4
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I say bulldoze all malls and offices to get rid of traffic. When people are unemployed, there's no need to drive!

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 02-27-06, 02:27 PM   #5
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
I live in Kansas City, Kansas. A NASCAR track was built here a few years back. I've never been there, though.

When they built the track, it was basically out in the boonies. But now they've built up the area around it with shopping centers, hotels, and I suppose new developments are not far behind.
Old 02-27-06, 02:29 PM   #6
IDrinkMolson
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I live about 15 minutes from Dover, DE. I go to the race, so it doesn't really bother me. But, case in point, even though I'm only 15 minutes away and the race doesn't start until around 12 - 1, we leave at 5:30 a.m., just to beat the traffic and get a good parking spot.

If you're not going to the race on race day avoid it, until the about an hour after and an hour before it ends. Everyone that is going to the race is already there. Some places don't even open until after the race starts.

It's at most 2 weekends a year, unless they bring in smaller races, but they won't get as big of a crowd. So, hopefully you can avoid it for those two weekends.
Old 02-27-06, 02:35 PM   #7
Sekots

Most likely the track will only be used one weekend a year, maybe two if the track can get other series besides NASCAR to race there like the IRL. In the other weeks when there isnt a NASCAR or IRL race they will most likely have racing schools. Most of the tracks do this, you pay $100 or so to drive a couple laps around the track. I know some people that live in Dover, about a couple miles from the track. They don't like racing so for that weekend they go to Atlantic City and they let us use there house since we like racing.
Old 02-27-06, 02:39 PM   #8
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

The ISC initially promised only 3 races per year, but it has since been upped to 6.
Old 02-27-06, 02:39 PM   #9
Flashback
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's one weekend out of a year. Want to cancel New Years or the 4th in NYC due to traffic? Many more people attending these events vs. a NASCAR race.
Old 02-27-06, 02:41 PM   #10
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

do they really want to bring nascar to SI? I didn't know there were any rednecks there.

where are they going to build it? I've seen pretty bad traffic there on weekends and can't imagine how bad it's going to be with 80,000 fans driving in.

Just googled it. No way they are going to stop cars, not when they can make $8 per car toll revenues.

Last edited by al_bundy; 02-27-06 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 02:58 PM   #11
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The ISC initially promised only 3 races per year, but it has since been upped to 6.

Well one weekend of Truck/Busch/Cup will give you 3. I wouldn't doubt that they eventually want to up that to 2 a year.

I hear it's supposed to be a mile track designed like Richmond so at least the racing will be good.
Old 02-27-06, 03:06 PM   #12
hippie68

We have one in Homestead, Miami. I took my husband out there last year for racing school and it was in the middle of the boonies also.
Old 02-27-06, 04:03 PM   #13
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
do they really want to bring nascar to SI? I didn't know there were any rednecks there.
NASCAR's audience has vastly expanded in the past decade.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 02-27-06, 05:12 PM   #14
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

My parents do. On race weekend they don't even bother trying to leave the house. Traffic is awful.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 02-27-06, 07:25 PM   #15
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Man where have you been. The so called "redneck" crowd is being pushed out due to the corporate world taking over. Have you seen some of the newest drivers? None of them are even close to looking redneck. Most are 20 Something pretty boys. Quick google search of the people I'm familiar with who seem to be popular.

Kurt Bush - Hometown Las Vegas, NV
Kasey Kahne - Hometown Enumclaw, Wash.
Jeff Gordon - Hometown Vallejo, Calif.
Tony Stewart - Hometown Columbus, Ind.
Jimmie Johnson - Hometown El Cajon, Calif.
Matt Kenseth - Hometown Cambridge, Wis.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. - Hometown Kannapolis, N.C. - ok he's a bit hickish
Jamie McMurry - Hometown Joplin, Mo.
Carl Edwards - Columbia, Mo.

I'm not a huge fan but I do like to watch a little. I have however given the sport a chance. It's grown faster in the past 10 years than just about any sport. It has changed dramatically.
Old 02-27-06, 07:53 PM   #16
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Man where have you been. The so called "redneck" crowd is being pushed out due to the corporate world taking over. Have you seen some of the newest drivers? None of them are even close to looking redneck. Most are 20 Something pretty boys. Quick google search of the people I'm familiar with who seem to be popular.

Kurt Bush - Hometown Las Vegas, NV
Kasey Kahne - Hometown Enumclaw, Wash.
Jeff Gordon - Hometown Vallejo, Calif.
Tony Stewart - Hometown Columbus, Ind.
Jimmie Johnson - Hometown El Cajon, Calif.
Matt Kenseth - Hometown Cambridge, Wis.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. - Hometown Kannapolis, N.C. - ok he's a bit hickish
Jamie McMurry - Hometown Joplin, Mo.
Carl Edwards - Columbia, Mo.

I'm not a huge fan but I do like to watch a little. I have however given the sport a chance. It's grown faster in the past 10 years than just about any sport. It has changed dramatically.
You're not going to find many Elliot Sadlers*, Sterling Marlins, or.....I can't even think of anymore "hickish" driver.

*Sadler is my second favorite driver and I'm black so hicks can't be all bad.
Old 02-27-06, 08:31 PM   #17
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

to answer the OP's question, go take a drive near the meadowlands and shea stadium? no homes there since no one wants to live that close to something like this. People would rather live next to an airport in the landing path of planes than a sports stadium.
Old 02-27-06, 10:14 PM   #18
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
NASCAR's audience has vastly expanded in the past decade.
It's probably all that fried food.
Old 02-27-06, 11:48 PM   #19
BassDude
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not too far away from the track here near Phoenix. (PIR) Two races a year now I think. As others have said, ya just stay off the roads those weekends and don't try to get a table in a restaurant nearby. I went to one of the races once. I'll stick to my annual trek to Indy for The USGP.

Also, they are building the Cardinals stadium a couple miles from my house. In the past year my home's value has risen faster than this already exploding housing market. They are even building townhouses on the same property as the hockey and football arenas. I guess it depends on the city and the surrounding development as to what happens to property values.

The Addiction
Old 02-28-06, 01:26 AM   #20
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

With only two races a year, plus the individual $100 trials, do these raceways make back the cost of install very quickly?
Old 02-28-06, 08:20 AM   #21
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

where are they going to build it? I've seen pretty bad traffic there on weekends and can't imagine how bad it's going to be with 80,000 fans driving in.
On Goethals Road North. If you're familiar with Stink Island, it's in Bloomfield where there used to be dozens of huge oil tanks. There are no houses along that strip, but it's only about a mile or two away from a busy residential and shopping area.

A new plan revealed yesterday includes dozens of helicopters flying in on race days for VIPs.
Old 02-28-06, 08:41 AM   #22
metalfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp
With only two races a year, plus the individual $100 trials, do these raceways make back the cost of install very quickly?
I would imagine they make the cost back fairly quickly. I live near Martinsville and it is one of the smaller tracks, approx. 60-80,000 seats and it makes millions with two weekends a year basically. The bigger tracks like Charlotte hold over 100,000 and have events during the year like car shows that bring in alot of money also.

As far as a local track, I don't think it would be a bad thing. It will definately boost the local economy on those weekends but I wouldn't dare try and fight the traffic. I have had friends go to the Coca Cola 600 in Charlotte and sit in the parking lot for 4 hours after the race just waiting to leave.
Old 02-28-06, 09:20 AM   #23
TheGuy

Oh please let this happen!!! I am in Brooklyn and love NASCAR! One of my life goals is to go to a race. I've been to a World Series Game (Subway Series) and just need to go to the NCAA final four and a NASCAR race to make my life complete!! Well, maybe just my sporting life.
Old 02-28-06, 09:51 AM   #24
SeekOnce

I used to live about 3 miles away from the California Speedway in Fontana. I was surprised how loud it got on race days. I seriously couldn't leave a window open. I'm not certain about the impact on property values, but since the area is booming, I'd imagine it didn't hurt it any.
Old 02-28-06, 12:28 PM   #25
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy
Oh please let this happen!!! I am in Brooklyn and love NASCAR!
Great. That's all we need. More Brooklynites coming to Staten Island. Peachy.