Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-15-06, 01:45 PM   #1
CPA-ESQ.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sunday Comic Strips that should be Retired

The Garfield thread got me thinking about comic strips that need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Here's my evaluation of my Sunday Comics: (this is going off the top of my head)

Front Page:
------------
Peanuts - This is sooo old, not funny, isn't cute, doesn't change with the times why the hell is this still a front page comic?
Garfield - This too has gotten old, the premise it lame, nothing changes, just the same joke over and over again.
For Better Or Worse - Not a bad Comic, The kids grow up deal with problems relating to their age etc. Good little Canadian Family

Page Two:
---------------
Haggar - Not bad kind of funny deals with his fat wife and work
Beatle Baily - Hey what else is there to do, Beatle slacks off and Sarge beats his ass. Used to be better when Mrs. Buxley would get sexually harassed, but PC put an end to that.
Dagwood - Yeah I like this one has a good cast of characters, hot wife, neighbors. Dag likes to eat and sleep but also has to deal with being late for work his boss, wife's business

Page Three:
-----------------
Dilbert - I have to say that this strip is getting old and I think they have run out of ideas. This used to be a must read, but now they are always dealing with HR and the intern
Family Circus - Well this has long been established and has its spot as the let me clip this out and put it on the fridge. Every new parent gets to experience the "that's just like my kids" feeling. Thus
Hi & Lois - Well this is a rip off of the family circus but with a bit more story, the characters don't age, and the story is blah. But I find myself reading it so I guess it's a

Page Four:
---------------
Wizard of Id - not too bad, deals with some issues, kind of funny so
B.C - This deals with some current issues with an underlying political / religious message
Doonesbury - Long winded comic, way too many words
Prince Valor - WTF is this thing?? Never read it, too many words and only like 2 pictures.
Andy Capp - Don't read it and can't understand what they are saying
Close to Home - I like this Farside rip-off comic

Page Five:
---------------------
Lockhorns - Love this thing, this was Married with Children before there was a show
Slylock Fox - Makes me feel smart as hell. Yeah I can solve the crime (hint: the clock on the wall stopped when the power went out)
Foxtrot - Great Comic, Love it stays ultra modern and deals with current pop culture
Home - (not sure of the name) Deals with a teenage kid and his parents, he sleeps in a lot and his parents yell at him. This concept gets boring. Looks like they want to be the Family Circus for parents with teenage sons.

Page Six:
----------------------
Cathy - Well at least this comic strip has moved along and she is married now. I guess I just don't get it... I guess you have to be a fat, obsessive, middle aged chick to get the humor in this. But it does have lots of pictures in the strip so
Middletons - This comic may have run its course and deals with a retired couple and their mean mother in law, can't say I hate it nor do I love it, and I continue to read it.
Sally Forth - This one sucks!! the kids don't grow up - that kid has been 10 forever, and every Easter we get the same joke of how the mother eats the ears off the kid's bunny
Old 02-15-06, 06:55 PM   #2
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your comics are much better than ours. I read the title and immediately thought Garfield. Peanuts are all reruns I believe, since Schultz retired a while back.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, however our paper recently began carrying Dilbert, so it is not so old to me.

You would be better off starting (or bumping) this thread on a Sunday so people can have their reference materials handy.
Old 02-15-06, 06:57 PM   #3
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about bringing some others back....
Dondi
Moon Mullens
Terry and the Pirates
Gasoline Alley
Old 02-15-06, 07:22 PM   #4
ShallowHal

Family Circus is the dumbest comic ever, especially the ones where it's nothing other than an outline of where the kid walked around all day. Wow, over the wheelbarrow, behind the shed, and under the dog? That's funny!!
Old 02-15-06, 07:26 PM   #5
Darknite39
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Family Circus
Um...no.
"you are a complete loon and are wrong about everything. but in the end your opinion means less than nothing, just like mine, so you got that going for you I guess. must be cozy in that fantasy land of yours where you think you matter." -- brizz
"The .2 triggers the multiple orgasms." -- Debaser
Old 02-15-06, 07:33 PM   #6
Fokker's Feint

Where is Pearls Before Swine?

- Bill Simmons
Old 02-15-06, 07:34 PM   #7
naughty jonny
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-w9
Peanuts are all reruns I believe, since Schultz retired a while back.
Death is the ultimate retirement. He died six years ago.

Pretty much when he stopped working, he stopped living. He retired in December 1999 and had a bunch of strips prewritten with the last one scheduled to be published on Feb 13, 2000.

He died on Feb 12, 2000 (the night before it was published) - so technically, Peanuts outlived him. He died at 9:45pm, and by that stage the copy would have been proofed and ready to print, so he in effect died as the last strip went to press.

Guess he had little else to live for once his work was done.
Old 02-15-06, 08:16 PM   #8
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Gasoline Alley
We get this one. It's insanely stupid. Almost as bad as Family Circus.

My current favorite strip is Pearls Before Swine.
Old 02-15-06, 08:35 PM   #9
nemein

Over the Hedge
Get Fuzzy

About the only two I read any more and even that's only occasionally...

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2227 days 5 hours 13 minutes
Old 02-15-06, 08:42 PM   #10
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Family Circle is just awful now. He's given up to using the same three comics over and over again.
Old 02-15-06, 08:46 PM   #11
Seeker
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Obviously, comics, like anything are all a matter of taste.

Newspapers have to try to come up with that perfect mix (and never get it right) of what will appeal to kids, adults, grammas, empty nesters, young families - i.e. everyone.

The truth is that newspapers, fortunately or unfortunately, are getting less relevant.

So - then we actually have to deal with that notion called 'quality'.

Family Circus is a great example of the perfect strip that does not offend, isn't very funny, but does the job. But quality? It jumped that fence long long ago in favor of good comic pablum.

In fact, MOST of the comics that have lived a long long time have been inherited by others to 'maintain the idea'. One artist/writer took an old tired comic called 'Nancy' (remember Nancy and Sluggo) and turned it totally on it's head - it was cool! But sure enough, the newspapers said - wait - that's not what Nancy is or should be.

So, are we talking retired in the sense that comics/newspapers have changed? Or are we asking which comics are really 'good or bad' - and then, of course, to what audience?

Sorry to turn this more serious - but comics ARE serious business!

BTW - I like For Better or For Worse, Foxtrot, and quite a lot of comics!
Old 02-15-06, 10:01 PM   #12
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen the Gasoline Alley sunday strips, but the dailies are pretty good. It alternates between funny plotlines like a conwoman aunt ripping off Vegas gangsters and then hiding in Skeezix's house, and serious plotlines like grandpa frequently getting confused and wandering off in the rain, but being too pigheaded to admit he needs help.

Sunday strips that I wouldn't miss are Garfield (it's made by a factory, and shows that much imagination), Prince Valiant (I've read that it once was a work of genius -- but that was 50 years ago), and Lola ("She's obnoxious, hahaha! I wish I could do that, hahaha!")
Old 02-15-06, 10:18 PM   #13
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Garfield
Dennis the Menace
Marmaduke
Ziggy
Family Circus (to a lesser extent)

All three repeat the same schtick every day of the week. Oh look Marmaduke is on the sofa, Mr. Wilson is hiding from Dennis again & Garfield ate everything in the fridge. Oooh give me more.

Peanuts - classic. They've started running some of the earliest strips lately which is cool.
Foxtrot - a worthy heir to Calvin
Speed Bump - a worthy heir to the Far Side
Dilbert - is on the fence, past it's prime but still gets in a couple solid strips a week.

I haven't even heard of half of the ones mentioned. We don't get them here.

Now Playing:
Shadows of Mordor On Deck: Need for Speed: Rivals
Old 02-15-06, 10:21 PM   #14
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Foxtrot is funny, but I find that only nerds laugh at it. One of my chemistry professors showed some strips and no one other than me laughed.
Old 02-16-06, 02:14 AM   #15
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only strips that I read and enjoy anymore are Foxtrot and Get Fuzzy. The rest of them are just sitting there, waiting to suck (if I may borrow a quote originally aimed specifically at Family Circus )
Old 02-16-06, 02:15 AM   #16
naitram
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man, have you guys seen that new one about Mohammed? *ducks*

Seriously though, I think Peanuts/Garfield/Family Circus and such are made for kids. I liked them when I was a kid, and I'm sure they aren't "old and tired" to kids now.
Old 02-16-06, 07:43 AM   #17
mkdevo
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is garfield really that bad now? i used to be a huge fan, but haven't seen it in years..
Old 02-16-06, 08:39 AM   #18
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitram
Oh man, have you guys seen that new one about Mohammed? *ducks*

Seriously though, I think Peanuts/Garfield/Family Circus and such are made for kids. I liked them when I was a kid, and I'm sure they aren't "old and tired" to kids now.
Peanuts was never made for kids. Look at the way they talk and the language they use. Schulz was even disappointed about the animated toons were marketed to kids.

Other than that I can agree with the other two being made for kids. That was probably the last time I enjoyed them.

Now Playing:
Shadows of Mordor On Deck: Need for Speed: Rivals
Old 02-16-06, 09:05 AM   #19
Jazzbutcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sracer, I can't believe someone besides me remembers Dondi!

Personally, the only comics I can stomach these days are Dilbert and Boondocks. The rest just suck.

Family Circus jumped the shark back when Dolly barely escaped from the pedophile.
Old 02-16-06, 09:27 AM   #20
ytrez
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to see a return to a real comics insert like they were doing with the Spirit back in the 40's. I'm not close to the economics of the Sunday paper and I'm not sure how they could do it and be profitable, unless they could sell advertising in there, or establish a relationship with one of the big 2 comics publishers for some sort of cross promotional deal. Let's change the face of Comics!!!
Old 02-16-06, 09:31 AM   #21
printerati
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everything but Opus can go to hell, and even that is a shadow of what Breathed was capable of in his prime.
Old 02-16-06, 09:39 AM   #22
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Pluggers is aggressively un-funny. Not only should it be retired, it really should never have existed in the first place.
Old 02-16-06, 09:49 AM   #23
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ not funny

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 02-16-06, 10:26 AM   #24
RayChuang
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of "For Better or For Worse"...

Lynn Johnston said she's planning to end the strip within the next few years. It's been an interesting strip to watch because it's one of the small number of comic strips that let its characters grow in "real time."

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 02-16-06, 10:27 AM   #25
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Pluggers is aggressively un-funny. Not only should it be retired, it really should never have existed in the first place.

What. The. Fuck.

I did not want to know this comic existed. I wish I could go back in time and never read your post.
Sponsored Links