Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-08-06, 07:30 PM   #1
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

McDonald's Says Fries Have More Trans Fats

McD's fries have 33% more transfat that previously thought, they are behind schedule on cutting transfat in half (or reneging on promise) and their stock goes up on this news? WTF?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/...ZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

Quote:
McDonald's Says Fries Have More Trans Fats
By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer
39 minutes ago

CHICAGO - McDonald's french fries just got fatter ó by nutritional measurement. The world's largest restaurant chain said Wednesday its fries contain a third more trans fats than it previously knew, citing results of a new testing method it began using in December.

That means the level of potentially artery-clogging trans fat in a portion of large fries is eight grams, up from six, with total fat increasing to 30 grams from 25.

Often used by restaurants and in packaged foods, trans fats are thought to cause cholesterol problems and increase the risk of heart disease. The dietary guidelines for Americans that were issued by a government panel last year said people should consume as little trans fat as possible.

The disclosure comes as McDonald's Corp. starts rolling out packaging for its menu items that contain facts about their nutritional content ó a move made voluntarily but with the fast-food industry under pressure from consumer groups and the government to provide more information.

McDonald's said it updated the nutrition info on its Web site last month as soon as it discovered the new level of trans fat. It explained the increase by saying an improvement in the testing process has made results more accurate.

"As part of our ongoing voluntary efforts to provide our customers with the best science-based information, we continually enhance our testing," said Cathy Kapica, global nutrition director for Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's.

Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, called the change "quite a dramatic increase."

He renewed the nonprofit health advocacy group's call for McDonald's and other fast-food chains to make healthier food ó and for the Food and Drug Administration to ban the use of partially hydrogenated oil, the source of trans fat. Trans fat is made when manufacturers add hydrogen to vegetable oil ó a process called hydrogenation.

"Nutritionally it's a disastrous product," Jacobson said of the fries. "McDonald's could fry in canola oil or other liquid oil" as it does in Australia, Denmark and Israel, he said.

Responding to the criticism, Kapica said the company is "very proud of our menu."

"It is important to note that McDonald's menu has a wide range of choice and variety, with an array of portion sizes, including three options with french fries ó small, medium and large," she said.

McDonald's has been reluctant to risk changing the taste of its iconic french fries. It pledged in September 2002 to switch to a new oil that would halve the level of harmful trans fatty acid in its fries. But it has delayed those plans, citing product quality and customer satisfaction as priorities while continuing testing.

McDonald's spokeswoman Anna Rozenich said tray liners and nutrition brochures containing trans fat and other info will be updated soon and the company Web site will reflect up-to-date information.

The FDA began mandating that packaged foods companies report trans fat levels last month, but the fast-food industry is not under similar requirements.

McDonald's shares rose 17 cents to close at $36.36 Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.
Old 02-08-06, 07:42 PM   #2
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

In related news, researchers have discovered that actress Sharon Tate was stabbed 57 times, not just 54 as previously thought.
Old 02-08-06, 08:04 PM   #3
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Who cares? If you eat enough to cause you problems you are probably a fat ass anyway. Moderation is key.
Old 02-08-06, 08:21 PM   #4
SeekOnce

After watching that extra on the Supersize Me dvd, I can never bring myself to eat those fries ever again anyway.

Yay for me I guess.
Old 02-08-06, 08:23 PM   #5
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

I'll bet you no one comes into this thread expecting a Sharon Tate stabbing reference. NO ONE!
Old 02-08-06, 08:24 PM   #6
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower
Who cares? If you eat enough to cause you problems you are probably a fat ass anyway. Moderation is key.

That's pretty much what I think. A large fry here and there won't kill you. But eating a large fry, Big Mac, every single day, is certainly not good for you if you're not active and just sit at a desk.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 02-08-06, 08:49 PM   #7
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll bet the researchers are all smokers and speed on the highways....
Old 02-08-06, 08:52 PM   #8
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'll bet you no one comes into this thread expecting a Sharon Tate stabbing reference. NO ONE!
I don't know about you, but I always expect a Sharon Tate stabbing reference. It turns out that I'm disappointed a lot.
Old 02-08-06, 09:00 PM   #9
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
But just knowing one can pop up at any time, helter skelter, is what makes this forum so much fun.
Old 02-08-06, 09:32 PM   #10
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronkster
But just knowing one can pop up at any time, helter skelter, is what makes this forum so much fun.
On that subject, Squeaky Fromme gives me the inexplicable hot.
Old 02-09-06, 01:21 AM   #11
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of a sudden, I feel like listening to my Kasabian CD.
Old 02-09-06, 08:06 AM   #12
Shagrath
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
After watching that extra on the Supersize Me dvd, I can never bring myself to eat those fries ever again anyway.
I haven't watched the extras on Supersize Me yet, but after watching the main feature, I just *had* to go out and get a Big Mac!

I don't eat McD's that often, so maybe that's why the movie gave me the craving.
Old 02-09-06, 08:36 AM   #13
Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekOnce

Yay for me I guess.
for the most part the movie did the same for me as well. However I once in awhile get an ice cream.
Old 02-09-06, 08:39 AM   #14
gimmepilotwings
Suspended

I just ate at McDonalds yesterday. If WORKING at a McDonalds will not deter me from eating there, a movie sure as well wont.
Old 02-09-06, 08:45 AM   #15
ItsGreekToMe
Banned

This kid hears. This kid don't care.
Old 02-09-06, 08:47 AM   #16
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower
The issue is not so much the total fat as the transfat. In three countries, Australia, Denmark and Israel, they are already forced to use a healthier oil. I wonder the fries really test inferior there? They are 3 years behind schedule on their promise to use healthier frying oils, and now their frying oil is 33% unhealthier than they previously admitted to.

I only use canola oil and olive oil for cooking and both taste fine (olive oil only in certain things as it has a noticable flavor, which goes well with some dishes, not others). Neither contains any transfat.

This goes along with a recent study that shows it is not so much the total fat in your diet that kills you, but the saturated and trans fat.
Old 02-09-06, 08:54 AM   #17
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
But shouldnt we? I mean we have such low expectations now a days that just goes to further prove the dumbing down of America!!!

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 02-09-06, 09:03 AM   #18
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Doesn't Mickey D's cook their fries in beef tallow or some other disgusting substance?

Anybody who eats at that place deserves what they get IMO. One reason I never had kids (other than hating them) is so I'd never have an excuse to eat at McDonald's.

*carving an X into my forehead in solidarity with Charlie*
Old 02-09-06, 09:03 AM   #19
Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe

This kid hears. This kid don't care.
I bet the child has never eaten an apple in his life - it's really sad when the idea of eating fast food and being cheap results in people shoving this crap into their eating habits.
Old 02-09-06, 09:08 AM   #20
milpool

Tate = Tator = Potato = French Fries
Old 02-09-06, 09:14 AM   #21
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That kid looks like the Michelin Man.
Old 02-09-06, 09:17 AM   #22
gimmepilotwings
Suspended

Quote:

I bet the child has never eaten an apple in his life - it's really sad when the idea of eating fast food and being cheap results in people shoving this crap into their eating habits.

That is completely sad. My kids eat fast food all of the time, sometimes once a day. However, they also have healthy snacks, meals. That kids looks like he is eating two value meals worth of food.

Disgusting.
Old 02-09-06, 09:21 AM   #23
RunBandoRun
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Location: Formerly know as"Vibiana"/Living in a van down by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
That is completely sad. My kids eat fast food all of the time, sometimes once a day. However, they also have healthy snacks, meals. That kids looks like he is eating two value meals worth of food.

Disgusting.
I have seen that picture a number of times and am praying that it is photoshopped, but ...
Old 02-09-06, 09:35 AM   #24
Anubis2005X
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I have seen that picture a number of times and am praying that it is photoshopped, but ...

It's real, unfortunately. I think I remember reading on a previous thread that they're both russian wrestlers. Kids wrestling for sport at that age? Crazy russians...
Old 02-09-06, 10:00 AM   #25
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Now I'm hungry for McDonald's...
Sponsored Links