Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-03-06, 02:11 PM   #26
jadasion
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I agree with BadlyBrokenBoy -- if somebody wants something, they're going to get it regardless.

Have other homes in your neighborhood been hit?
I just received a newsletter from my dad about break-ins that are going around in the area. I have a feeling my house was cased out.
Old 02-03-06, 02:12 PM   #27
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

anyone think the security stickers mean much? If I got a security system, I'd definitely have all the windows with big stickers.

I also remember that my parents donated some money (not much) to their police department and a police offier stopped by to give them some police stickers to show their appreciation. They put them on their front windows. Maybe you can ask about that.

I think the security systems can make a difference. There was this story that had a thief break into a house, the alarm went off, the security agent came to the house with a police officer, they caught the thief coming out of the house, they get in a fight, the thief hits the policeman in the face with a crowbar and runs off, the police officer chases him for a couple blocks and they get in another fight and the police officer shoots him. At least that's one happy ending.
Old 02-03-06, 02:18 PM   #28
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind
All of these companies still require a landline phone, correct?

https://nextalarm.com/index.jsp
Old 02-03-06, 02:21 PM   #29
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Thanks Bdawg - I'll look that over when I get home.
Old 02-03-06, 04:12 PM   #30
CPA-ESQ.

Quote:
This dosen't look too bad. for $9 a month looks good. Has anyone used this company? does the "wireless" work well?
Old 02-03-06, 04:45 PM   #31
ElementZ
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) Do you have Insurance?

2) Did you question your roomate?

3) Have you talked to neighbors to find out if they noticed anything unusual?
Old 02-03-06, 06:55 PM   #32
dvdsteve2000
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I have a Guardian alarm system. I have all 3 doors into my house 'monitored', but if someone comes in through a window, I'm screwed. We also have a motion sensor in the living room, but we can't use it because we have 2 cats. The coolest thing about the alarm is a setting which will cause a 3-beep sound every time a door opens in your house (when the alarm mode is off, like when you're home during the day). It's nice because I have 3 small kids (1, 4, &6), so no one can go outside without us knowing, and alerts you if someone comes in.

S2
Old 02-03-06, 07:08 PM   #33
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Sweet. Will that notify them when my internet goes down, and will they contact Comcast to come repair it?

http://savejace.info/
Old 02-03-06, 08:27 PM   #34
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a local (smaller) alarm company, Interstate Security. The system was free, but I think I had to subscribe to 2 yrs of monitoring. I have 3 doors monitored, back windows, and a motion detector. The dog has not set off the motion at all. The only problem was one time when it was windy a window would rattle enough to set off the alarm, and the cops were out 3 times in a week. I have a wireles sensor on a door and it seems to work fine, when the battery gets low it sends a signal to the systems saying to replace the battery. Also they installed a monitored smoke detector so if there were a fire, they would call for me.

Lastly, my ins. company did not give a discount, because I am already maxed with discounts.
Old 02-03-06, 09:08 PM   #35
atlantamoi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
The coolest thing about the alarm is a setting which will cause a 3-beep sound every time a door opens in your house (when the alarm mode is off, like when you're home during the day). It's nice because I have 3 small kids (1, 4, &6), so no one can go outside without us knowing, and alerts you if someone comes in.

S2
The first thing I did after we got our alarm was turn off that annoying noise every time a door opens. I never thought about your situation and I guess when we have kids I'll turn it back on. Good idea.
Old 02-03-06, 11:08 PM   #36
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

First of all, sorry for your loss.

We put an ADT sign in our front yard and that's our security. The majority of burglars see those signs and just go on to the next house unless they know you have something specific.

No monthly fee, etc. so that's the best value.
Old 02-03-06, 11:18 PM   #37
mike7162
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm away fom my home at least 9.5hrs a day so security is a concern. I try to make access as unappealing a target as possible: motion detectors that light the place up like a nuclear winter when set off, and the most difficult locks I could find. Inside, I've put my valuables in places that are at best a bitch to access. I hooked up my home theater in such a tangled morass of cables and wires that it would take an algorithm to disengage even one component. But you also have to come to terms with the fact that when you leave your house, you lose a great deal of control.
I've been broken into 3 times in apartments prior to the home I'm in now: once when I was home (he ran off and I chased him down an alley barefoot until I cut my foot open), the second by a coworker who I foolishly told I was going on vacation, and third by a teenaged foster child who didn't like my girlfriend and stole everything she owned and didn't touch a single posession of mine.
Old 02-04-06, 03:19 AM   #38
ShallowHal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I have been looking at installing some sort of video camera system with DVR. If someone is going to take something - they have to come to the house with a car, truck, or van. An Alarm would do nothing except alert your neighbors to look out the window, but the DVR with video camera could capture the car with tags, and plate #.

I priced one out and 4 cameras with DVR is like $1,500.

google cctvdynamics
Just don't forget to have it plugged into a UPS, one that doesn't beep when the power is out (or cut).
Old 02-04-06, 03:22 AM   #39
dvdsteve2000
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
First of all, sorry for your loss.

We put an ADT sign in our front yard and that's our security. The majority of burglars see those signs and just go on to the next house unless they know you have something specific.

No monthly fee, etc. so that's the best value.
When I got our system put in, I asked for an extra sign for the front yard. I gave it to my parents, and they haven't had any trouble either using the sign as a 'scare tactic'.

S2
Old 02-04-06, 07:06 AM   #40
naughty jonny
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deadbolts on your doors and windows are probably the best bet. While burglars can still get in, they're limited in what they can easily get out. They have to smash a window (or knock down the door) and take the stuff in and out that window (which they're less likely to want to do as it's obvious to passers by in a way that simply taking stuff out the door is).

Unless you're in a very secluded spot where they are very unlikely to be noticed, most burglars don't want to stay in a house for too long. In, search for valuables, out. Deadbolts make it that less attractive than the house next door (which ultimately is the only thing that really stops a burglar).
Old 02-04-06, 09:25 AM   #41
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy28
whatever you do-
don`t get a big dog....no dog can stop a break-in from a pro
I have multiple big dogs. Most burglars only carry one steak with them.

Oh, and you were not robbed, you were burglarized. Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine.
Old 02-04-06, 10:44 AM   #42
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
When I got our system put in, I asked for an extra sign for the front yard. I gave it to my parents, and they haven't had any trouble either using the sign as a 'scare tactic'.

S2

Yep. Mrs. Pusser's mother was all scared and paid thousands for a system and monitoring then it kept going off for no reason and the police were mad and going to charge them next time and now they don't use it and what a waste of money.

But hey-we got a free sign and some stickers.
Old 02-04-06, 01:48 PM   #43
jadasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ
1) Do you have Insurance?

2) Did you question your roomate?

3) Have you talked to neighbors to find out if they noticed anything unusual?

1) Yes

2) My roomate wouldn't steal from me and himself. I know him well enough that he wouldn't do such a thing.

3) Yeah. They didn't see anything.
Old 02-04-06, 01:49 PM   #44
jadasion

Thanks everyone for your posts. I do appreciate the advice.

Bushdog I really am interested in this one:

https://nextalarm.com/index.jsp

Do you know anything about this? Anyone ever hear reviews on this company?
Old 03-14-06, 01:55 AM   #45
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

I need closure. What did the cops say, and what type of system did you end up getting?
Old 03-14-06, 02:24 AM   #46
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

Watch It Takes a Thief on the Discovery Channel for a while. They have good tips, as well as showing how thieves do it.

I don't think you can get them on DVD yet.
Old 03-14-06, 02:35 AM   #47
Baron Of Hell

You can buy a usb web cam and then have it upload pictures to google mail account or some other place like maybe free space your ISP gives you. Sure you'll have to have your computer on all the time but hell a lot of people do that. A really good camera will cost you but you can get cheap one that is at least good in lighted areas.
Old 03-14-06, 07:37 AM   #48
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Watch It Takes a Thief on the Discovery Channel for a while. They have good tips, as well as showing how thieves do it.
All that show is going to accomplish for me is making me a well-armed agoraphobic.
Old 03-14-06, 07:45 AM   #49
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm usually home and my door doesn't have a peephole so I can't tell who's outside.

So I keep a hammer at my side, claw side out.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 03-14-06, 09:24 PM   #50
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
You can buy a usb web cam and then have it upload pictures to google mail account or some other place like maybe free space your ISP gives you. Sure you'll have to have your computer on all the time but hell a lot of people do that. A really good camera will cost you but you can get cheap one that is at least good in lighted areas.
And if the power goes out?
Sponsored Links