Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-06, 03:58 PM   #1
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Growing Trend: Pre-teen girls + Victoria's Secret (w/ pics)

Quote:
January 03. 2006 6:59AM

Tweens buying 'Secret' lingerie

By JANE M. VON BERGEN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

PHILADELPHIA -- En route to a dressing room, Lily Feingold and Brittany Garrison, both 11, barely glanced at the nearly nude mannequin in her red tasseled bra and high-cut panties at Victoria's Secret -- one of their favorite stores.

"We don't use that," Brittany said, nodding toward the bra.

Neither Lily nor Brittany would have much use for any of Victoria Secret's bras, actually. "They're still outwardly mobile," joked Lily's mother, Suzanne Bonsall Feingold.

Marketing experts call Lily and Brittany's yearnings "aspirational," and that aspiration may explain why the girls and many of their friends are regular Victoria's Secret customers, despite their tender age.

The company says it is absolutely not marketing to this young a customer. But experts say that in a society where sexuality is omnipresent, young girls inevitably will look to a time when they can become sophisticated young women like those they see on TV.

Or maybe they just like those cute lounge pants with the hearts and the glitter.

"Our typical customer ranges from 20 to in her 40s," said Anthony Hebron, a Victoria Secret's spokesman.

Oops. Somebody forgot to tell Lily and Brittany.

Shopping at the mall a couple of weeks ago, the girls headed directly to a Victoria's Secret department called "Pink."

Pink's target market is the college coed age 19 and older. "It's what you see around the dorm," he said. "It's the fun, playful stuff she needs, but still fashionable."

If there are purple-pantied mannequins in see-through negligees on one side of the store, the Pink side is somewhere between G and PG-13, with stuffed animals, rhinestone lounge pants in pink, and shirts decorated with Pink's trademark mascot, a pink dog.

Even the heart-covered thongs are more cute than racy.

It doesn't surprise retail experts that tweens such as Lily and Brittany enjoy Victoria's Secret.

"It's something mature, something sophisticated," said David Morrison, who heads TwentySomething, a Radnor marketing company focused on younger consumers.

Even though the girls shop in the "Pink" part of the store, they see the other merchandise and can aspire to being older and living the lives they see on TV and online, he said.

"They can't put their full finger on what it means, but they know it's desirable," he said.

What's helping Victoria's Secret, said Martin "Marty" Rogoff, a visiting retailing professor at Philadelphia University, is what's hurting toy sales.

"There's something we call age compression," he said. Young people are leaving their childhoods early, forsaking toys for other pleasures, such as shopping.

On the fashion side, his college students are wearing pajamas to class, and so are their younger siblings when they can get away with it. That creates an instant market for Victoria's Secret's less provocative lines.

One of Rogoff's colleagues, Natalie Weathers, an assistant professor of fashion-industry management, said Victoria's Secret is also tapping into a tween trend known as co-shopping -- or shopping with Mom. "They are advising their daughters about their purchases, and their daughters are advising them," she said.

"They are not little girls and they aren't teenagers, but they have a lot of access to sophisticated information about what the media says is beautiful, what is pretty, what is hot and stylish and cool," she said. "They are very visually literate."

Morrison said he's not surprised that Victoria's Secret denies marketing to tweens.

"There is a definite potential for backlash," he said.

"If Victoria's Secret is blatantly catering to seventh- and eighth-graders, that might be considered exploitative," he said. Also, Victoria's Secret's core customers might prefer their store sexy, not sweet.

"You don't want it to be so accessible that you lose the sense of sexiness. I think it's a brand that is walking a very fine line," he said.

"When I was little, I used to put on makeup to be like my sisters," Brittany said. "But you're wasting your time trying to be grown-up and not enjoying your life. Some girls do try to be older than themselves, and that's why they go to Victoria's Secret."

Lily nodded in agreement.

"We just do it because we like their sweat pants," she said.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps...19/CAT=Lives06

Egads! A Myspace Page

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-05-06 at 04:04 PM.

Old 01-05-06, 04:01 PM   #2
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

They bought sweatpants!!! Those sluts!
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Old 01-05-06, 04:11 PM   #3
bboisvert
DVD Talk Legend

[ vader]Noooooooooooooo![ /vader]

Old 01-05-06, 04:13 PM   #4
talemyn
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert

WAR EAGLE! <--- "If you look up 'good person' in the dictionary, this is the person you will find." - twikoff

Old 01-05-06, 04:14 PM   #5
Phil L.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"They can't put their full finger on what it means..."

Old 01-05-06, 04:14 PM   #6
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ooh sweatpants...

Old 01-05-06, 04:17 PM   #7
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-05-06, 04:19 PM   #8
BigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wait until your daughter wants to go by VS.

Old 01-05-06, 04:25 PM   #9
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

I've already ranted about what is wrong with america in regard to letting young children run around in suggestable/seductive clothing. It is perverting the youth and thrusting them into a world they don't fully understand.

-p

Old 01-05-06, 04:27 PM   #10
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

And then we wonder why we have child molesters. It don't help having an 11-yr old running around in this attire.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Old 01-05-06, 04:31 PM   #11
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue
I've already ranted about what is wrong with america in regard to letting young children run around in suggestable/seductive clothing. It is perverting the youth and thrusting them into a world they don't fully understand.

-p
Come on, how old do you have to be to understand sex? I'm pretty sure that once the hormones kick in, you know everything you need to know about it. Now being able to handle the "side effects" is another story.

Old 01-05-06, 04:34 PM   #12
talemyn
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Come on, how old do you have to be to understand sex? I'm pretty sure that once the hormones kick in, you know everything you need to know about it. Now being able to handle the "side effects" is another story.
You have obviously never heard teenagers discussing their "knowledge" of sex. To listen to some of them talk, there are a multitude of ways to get prgenant without actually having sex.

WAR EAGLE! <--- "If you look up 'good person' in the dictionary, this is the person you will find." - twikoff

Old 01-05-06, 04:37 PM   #13
CPA-ESQ.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

FALSE ADVERTISING!! Pre-teen girls + Victoria's Secret (w/ pics)

No thank you sir!

Change the title to

"Pics of butt girls holding up sweatpants in front of Victoria Secret at the mall"

Old 01-05-06, 04:42 PM   #14
NotThatGuy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by talemyn
You have obviously never heard teenagers discussing their "knowledge" of sex. To listen to some of them talk, there are a multitude of ways to get prgenant without actually having sex.
Exactly.

Also, the increased sexualization of our youth definately contributes to many of our current problems. Children wanting to grow up, pressures to fit in, having sex at VERY young ages.

-p

Old 01-05-06, 04:54 PM   #15
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue

-p

Old 01-05-06, 05:02 PM   #16
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Come on, how old do you have to be to understand sex? I'm pretty sure that once the hormones kick in, you know everything you need to know about it.
Sure, if getting a boner is all there is to know about sex.

http://savejace.info/

Old 01-05-06, 05:05 PM   #17
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Sure, if getting a boner is all there is to know about sex.
Well, that's half of it.

Or a quarter of it in my case.

Old 01-05-06, 09:05 PM   #18
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

My daughter will not shop there until she is married. NO SIR!

Last time I was in there I saw *gasp SPLIT-CROTCH PANTIES!

I was DISGUSTED!

Because Mrs. Pusser wouldn't let me treat her to a pair.

Old 01-05-06, 10:19 PM   #19
animalmystic
Suspended

This thread would be much better with some more pics....

Old 01-05-06, 10:27 PM   #20
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I think that shelf is built wrong. The bottom piece is upside down.

Old 01-05-06, 10:44 PM   #21
ivelostr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I think that shelf is built wrong. The bottom piece is upside down.

good eye

Old 01-05-06, 10:48 PM   #22
Michael Ballack
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh my god!!! We are becoming like those dirty Romans. Young people have no respect anymore! Oh for the good old days when men could beat on their wives and negroes knew their place.

"The cake is a lie"

Old 01-05-06, 10:52 PM   #23
DrunkLastKnight

I think what hurts kids more is the amount of censoring. Look at other countries, they are more laxed in that and kids there turn out well

Old 01-05-06, 11:32 PM   #24
Michael Ballack
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkLastKnight
I think what hurts kids more is the amount of censoring. Look at other countries, they are more laxed in that and kids there turn out well
You make things bad or dirty and of course a kid is going to want to rebel against that.

"The cake is a lie"

Old 01-05-06, 11:51 PM   #25
tasha99

I guess I'm nuts because I don't have a problem with kids shopping there (heck, my daughter does). They have lots of things that are pretty rather than suggestive. It's just underwear and even teens have to wear that. Every store that sells underwear sells items I'd be uncomfortable with a kid wearing, so I don't see how Victoria's Secret is all that different.

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread