Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-16-05, 12:00 PM   #1
mrpayroll

Woman dies in India hospital after ants eat her eye! :eek:

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?ac...lnews&id=53870

Posted on 16 Nov 2005 # ANI

Ants eat eye of 55-year-old woman in Kolkata hospital

By Ajitha Menon, Kolkata :

In a horrific incident, an old woman, receiving treatment for diabetes in a Government run hospital in Kolkata, lost her life when ants nibbled one of her eyes away. The family members have accused the hospital authorities of gross negligence.

I don't know if this is an actual picture of the event, but this was included in the Softpedia storyline

Gouri Chakraborty, 55, the deceased, had gone into a state of coma after undergoing a cornea surgery in her left eye at the Sambhunath Pundit Hospital. While visiting her mother, Pintoo Chakraborty, the son, noticed some ants on her face. When he lifted the bandage, which was covering the eye, he was shocked to see a gaping hole with several swarming ants in it.

“My mother has lost her life just because of the negligence of the hospital authorities. Instead of accepting their mistake and feeling guilty, these people are threatening me. The doctors also came and asked me not to speak to the media,” said Pintoo.

Authorities at the hospital in Kolkata said a committee has been set up to properly investigate the incident.

“We have prepared one enquiry committee. It will submit its report very soon and we will take steps if there was any fault,” says Sukumar Das, the Medical Superintendent of the Sambhunath Pundit Hospital.

Meanwhile, some political activists belonging to a regional party staged a protest outside the hospital on November 15.

The protestors belonging to the regional Trinamool Youth Congress shouted slogans and displayed posters against the callousness of doctors.

also

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1295321.cms

Ants eat into comatose patient's eye

[ Tuesday, November 15, 2005 02:17:56 amTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]
Citibank NRI Offer

KOLKATA: Pintu Chakraborty was in for a shock when he dropped in at Shambhunath Pundit Hospital on Monday morning. He had come to check on mother Gouri, 55, who had slipped into a coma after undergoing cornea surgery after being admitted on November 5.

He found ants "eating into" her left eye, which was bleeding profusely. The nurse blamed the sweeper, claiming he had let insects into the wards. It was left to Pintu to clean up the wound, apply medicine and bandage the eye.

Welfare officer Samir Roy admitted negligence on the hospital's part but asked the family not to raise a hue and cry. "But we lodged a complaint with Bhowanipore police station," Pintu said.

Though a colleague of Pintu's father surmised that the insects could have been drawn to an ointment applied on the eye, hospital in-charge Subrata Adhikary said, "It's hard to say if ants caused the wounds."

He promised an inquiry, as did director, health services, Prabhakar Chatterjee. However, in the evening, the family was asked to move Gouri to SSKM.

Chris
Old 11-16-05, 12:08 PM   #2
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-16-05, 12:08 PM   #3
mrpayroll

And more

http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=9999&CatID=2

Ants gorge on eye, patient’s cries ignored

DNA Bureau

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 22:31 IST

KOLKATA: It is no doubt a rather dubious new feather in the cap of the West Bengal health department. New-born babies being attacked, and often killed, by stray dogs, cats and rats in a number of state-run hospitals is nothing new to the state.

But the worst case of negligence was witnessed in one of the leading state-run hospitals in the capital, Kolkata, on Monday, as king-sized black ants ate into the eye of a 50-year-old diabetic patient, as nurses on duty ignored her pleas for help.

The victim, Gauri Rani Chakrabarty, was admitted to the Shambhunath Pandit Hospital for treatment of diabetes. On Monday, when her son, Pintu Chakrabarty, went to visit his mother, he saw that one of her eyes was being eaten by ants.

Apparently, the nurses on duty ignored her repeated shrieks for help, and the result is a gaping hole in one side of her eye. At one point, a nurse even came to the victim’s bedside and said,“Don’t worry, the infected eye at times hurts. Try to get some sleep.”

Gauri Chakrabarty died on Tuesday. The doctor’s report says it was due to natural causes. Her blood sugar level was over 500. However, an agitation was held outside the hospital in view of the initial incident.

Pintu alleges that the ants probably attacked her eye on Sunday night, but the nursing assistants did not notice it.

"I tried to remove the ants from her eyes, but failed. Then I complained to the nursing staff present there, but they insulted me. They even said that removing the ants was not the duty of the nurses, and would only be done after the attendant comes," Pintu Chakrabarty alleged.

The situation is so critical that even the acting superintendent of Sambhunath Pandit Hospital, Subrata Adhikari, could not totally overrule the allegations.

Adhikari also admits that it is “not uncommon for ants to bite a highly diabetic patient. According to him, the hospital authorities consider the allegations to be true, and an internal probe has been ordered into the matter. The government has already ordered a five-member panel of senior hospital officials to investigate the lapse.

"If anyone is found liable for this accident, we will take disciplinary action against him or her," Adhikari said.

He also said that just two nurses had to handle as many as 65 patients. "Our hospital does not have the infrastructure to handle critical cases like that of Chakrabarty," he said. WB health minister Suryakanta Mishra said: “There will be investigations into the matter, and if anyone is found guilty or negligent on duty, disciplinary action will be taken.”

Pintu said that had Adhikari informed them about the lack of infrastructure facilities, they would not have admitted her there for treatment.

“We knew what to expect in a state-run hospital, but what we saw was pathetic. There were hardly any senior doctors when we needed them most,” her son-in-law, Amitabh Kar, said.

Chris
Old 11-16-05, 12:08 PM   #4
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

Oh she was in a coma, that explains the lack of screaming. That is pretty gross.
Old 11-16-05, 12:09 PM   #5
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
-puke-

Chris

edited to add: make up your mind!
Old 11-16-05, 12:23 PM   #6
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
New-born babies being attacked, and often killed, by stray dogs, cats and rats in a number of state-run hospitals is nothing new to the state.

But the worst case of negligence was witnessed in one of the leading state-run hospitals in the capital, Kolkata, on Monday, as king-sized black ants ate into the eye of a 50-year-old diabetic patient...
I certainly feel bad for the ant lady, but I would think the worst case of negligence would be the rats and dogs eating babies. Can't get much worst than that.
Old 11-16-05, 12:37 PM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Talk about eye candy...

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 11-16-05, 12:45 PM   #8
jdodd
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will never again bemoan the fact that there are ants in my pants.
Old 11-16-05, 12:54 PM   #9
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

So... ants eating your eye. That's painful. But why would it have killed her?
Old 11-16-05, 01:11 PM   #10
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
Talk about eye candy...

eye gotta tell you, that's bad on so many levels.

Chris
Old 11-16-05, 01:19 PM   #11
scottall
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have heard stories of Indian nurses having picnics on patients, but I never believed it.
Old 11-16-05, 01:30 PM   #12
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
So... ants eating your eye. That's painful. But why would it have killed her?
Quote:
Her blood sugar level was over 500...
Apparently the neglect extended pretty far, considering she was supposed to be there for diabetes treatment.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 11-16-05, 01:35 PM   #13
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 11-16-05, 01:36 PM   #14
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Her blood sugar level was over 500.
I guess I can see why the ants were biting her then.
Quote:
Adhikari also admits that it is “not uncommon for ants to bite a highly diabetic patient".
But how do they know? HOW DO THEY KNOW!?
Old 11-16-05, 01:40 PM   #15
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

I have nothing to say but ...

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 11-16-05, 01:45 PM   #16
Randy Miller III
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks, I just got back from lunch.
Old 11-16-05, 01:55 PM   #17
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

FUCK!! A little Warning in the title about that PIC!?!?!?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-16-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 02:16 PM   #18
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
FUCK!! A little Warning in the title about that PIC!?!?!?
Can you even tell what's happening in that pic? I can't. I see some ants, a few Super Sugar Crisps™, and what appears to be a burnt football.
Old 11-16-05, 02:30 PM   #19
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Can you even tell what's happening in that pic? I can't. I see some ants, a few Super Sugar Crisps™, and what appears to be a burnt football.

Like I said, it was included in the Softpedia story, which I didn't include, but I don't know if it is an actual picture of the deceased and her ants or as you described.

Chris
Old 11-16-05, 02:42 PM   #20
Lateralus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Note to self: When in India, DO NOT GET SICK!
Old 11-16-05, 03:55 PM   #21
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid

it doesn't matter. You come in with a certain image given the title and one's mind does the rest when the pic pops up...
Old 11-16-05, 04:28 PM   #22
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Gouri Chakraborty, 55, the deceased, had gone into a state of coma after undergoing a cornea surgery in her left eye at the Sambhunath Pundit Hospital. While visiting her mother, Pintoo Chakraborty, the son, noticed some ants on her face. When he lifted the bandage, which was covering the eye, he was shocked to see a gaping hole with several swarming ants in it.
Quote:
Apparently, the nurses on duty ignored her repeated shrieks for help, and the result is a gaping hole in one side of her eye. At one point, a nurse even came to the victim’s bedside and said,“Don’t worry, the infected eye at times hurts. Try to get some sleep.”
So which was it? Was she in a coma or was she screaming for help?
Old 11-16-05, 04:29 PM   #23
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
In a horrific incident, an old woman, receiving treatment for diabetes in a Government run hospital in Kolkata, lost her life when ants nibbled one of her eyes away.

Is 55 years of age considered old in India?
Old 11-16-05, 04:33 PM   #24
William Wallace
Banned

55 years is considered "old" in any culture.

Hell, I think 40 is considered "old" in most cultures.

Then again, I'm 22 and consider 30 as being old.
Old 11-16-05, 04:40 PM   #25
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wallace

Hell, I think 40 is considered "old" in most cultures.

Oh, you'll get yours, mister!

Chris
Sponsored Links