Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-12-05, 02:22 PM   #1
Kudama
Banned

What kind of games can you play with your cat (or other random pet)?

Yes. Another cat thread. I make no excuses.

I have laid my cheap ass Target fishing pole on the ground (with a little plastic spider tied to the line) and Terr is still trying to attack it while it’s sitting still. This reminds me of Groucho’s comment in the movie forum on the “taking advantage of the audiences’* ignorance” thread where he debunked the line about humans being the only animal that hunts for sport.

Anyway, my cat is twelve, had her ball and socket joint ripped clean out by a car when she was six months old (had surgery) and consequently doesn’t leap and bound so much (it’s degrading with age).

So I was trying to make the little spider hide behind things, in shoes and in high places. Terr would chirp and demand. I thought this was pretty funny. Then I realized that her instinct was superceding her physical ability. She prefers the “bear trap technique”, where she lays on her back and strikes at anything that finds itself within the perimeter. I guess you could call it the “venus flytrap technique” if you are into anime. So I altered the game. Noe the spider flies around the room until she gets interested and, somehow, starts hanging around right near it’s most dire threat. Terr loves it.

Does anyone else have an aging or injured cat that they have found ways to keep entertained?

Or dogs, birds and iguanas even.

*I couldn't clear the apostrophe placement. Is the word "audience" singular or plural? (Just fuckin' around. I know it's singular. ...Or is it?)

Last edited by Kudama; 11-12-05 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 02:44 PM   #2
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

I play this game with my cat, Meesha where I move my feet under the covers and she bites the living shit out of my toes. Then I kick her off the bed and she goes flying. We normally play this game at like 3 in the morning when I'm dead asleep.
Old 11-12-05, 02:44 PM   #3
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dodgeball.
Old 11-12-05, 03:03 PM   #4
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by resinrats
Dodgeball.
Dang! I hope you're talking NERF.
Old 11-12-05, 03:34 PM   #5
Quatermass
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I used to play chess with Mittens, but she always opened with the poisoned pawn variation of the Najdorf, so I was able to beat her 2 games out of 3.
Old 11-12-05, 04:26 PM   #6
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I have had cats that like to play fetch. Some that like to go cardboard surfing down the hall. Laser pointers are fun, they try to catch the dot. Swing them around in a box.
Peek-a-boo is always good. Some animals like to fingerpaint. (do this either outdoors or in the bathtub)
Another good game is bathtub hockey. Give them a ping pong ball to bat around in the tub. (put the plug in, or the ball will stick in the drain, and spoil their fun.)
Old 11-12-05, 05:51 PM   #7
Kudama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass
Well, I used to play chess with Mittens, but she always opened with the poisoned pawn variation of the Najdorf, so I was able to beat her 2 games out of 3.
Well, that's what I'm talking about. My cat's bad at Scrabble ("Meor, mmmmmmorw, mwow,,,etc.") They just don't show up in the dictionary if there's a challenge.
Old 11-12-05, 05:58 PM   #8
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

My cat's two favorite toys:

1.They sell these little furry mice at PetSmart. They are about $1 each or something like that. He goes crazy for them. Most of the time he plays with it by himself, stalking it and such. My gf and I play a game we call "Max in the Middle". We sit on opposite ends of the floor and throw the mouse back and forth. Max goes crazy, jumping all over the place for it. Be careful though, Max shoves them under everything in the house. I find them mostly under the stove, but we have lost about 20 so far with no explanation.

2.They have these sticks at PetSmart that have feathers at the end. He also plays at times with these by himself, but mostly he drags it to one of us to play with him.
Old 11-12-05, 07:15 PM   #9
Andalusia
DVD Talk Special Edition

My cat's not into games. But she will wake me up almost every morning at around 5:30. Don't know how she does it...
Old 11-12-05, 07:42 PM   #10
tasha99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 11-12-05, 07:55 PM   #11
Sloth911
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tie a tube saw around their stomach. The cat will walk for about 12 inches and fall over on their side with a dumb look on their face.

It sounds cruel, don't make it too tight, it is really funny!
Old 11-12-05, 08:17 PM   #12
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

We have two games with our basset hound: "throw", and "sock".

Throw involves tossing something across the room to him, which he will tear off after then retreat to another room to bask in his successful hunt.

Sock involves one of us sticking a sock under his collar, which he will go crazy trying to get. It's more a game for us, really.
Old 11-12-05, 08:18 PM   #13
AudioWizard
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
We have two games with our basset hound: "throw", and "sock".

Throw involves tossing something across the room to him, which he will tear off after then retreat to another room to bask in his successful hunt.

Sock involves one of us sticking a sock under his collar, which he will go crazy trying to get. It's more a game for us, really.

For parents, i'm sure these games would work for kids too.
Old 11-12-05, 08:36 PM   #14
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Oh you can do all sorts of fun games with kids like when you want them to quit bugging you for five minutes, tell them to "go find a kitty". That usually keeps them occupied for a while.
Old 11-12-05, 08:36 PM   #15
AudioWizard
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Oh you can do all sorts of fun games with kids like when you want them to quit bugging you for five minutes, tell them to "go find a kitty". That usually keeps them occupied for a while.

That also works for guys in college.
Old 11-12-05, 08:54 PM   #16
psxfan2

a Laser pen with my basset hound, she chases the light around then I'll aim it at one of the other dogs and she tries to bite it really pissing them off.
Old 11-12-05, 09:05 PM   #17
PrincessT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put a drinking straw on the floor, preferrably lineoleum or hardwood or tile. She might go for that.
Old 11-12-05, 11:33 PM   #18
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWizard
That also works for guys in college.
Old 11-12-05, 11:35 PM   #19
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-13-05, 12:57 AM   #20
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a basket of dum dum's, and the cat loves to play with those. She'll pull one out and start throwing it around, pouncing on it, whatever. If we throw one at her, she'll go crazy trying to attack it. Once in a while the basket gets low, so we'll lift up the couch and dig out 15 or 20 of them.

I've also been thinking about getting a small remote controlled car, tying a string to the back end, and racing it around the house. That'll keep her busy while I stay lazy.

Putting stickers on her paws is great, she goes nuts with that one.
Old 11-13-05, 07:59 AM   #21
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I play this game with my cat, Meesha where I move my feet under the covers and she bites the living shit out of my toes. Then I kick her off the bed and she goes flying. We normally play this game at like 3 in the morning when I'm dead asleep.
Yea, I've played that too, only with my wife. Was just as fun though!

Home Theater Build
Old 11-13-05, 09:25 AM   #22
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Hide the Salami