Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-15-05, 11:36 AM   #1
johnglass
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who does the majority of the chores in your household?

My wife just starting working after being at home for the first two 1/2 years we were married. While I've tried to take over some of the household chores from her since she started at work, she still thinks there is more she does around here than I do (and she's probably right). We have no kids otherwise we would both sit back feeding each other grapes while watching the little slaves bust their ass scrubbing toilets and such.

So how do you two-income couples handle the chores? Do you think they are evenly split between the two of you, or does one person inevitably end up doing more? Are there natural "man" chores and "woman" chores?
Old 10-15-05, 11:46 AM   #2
The_Cube

When you see something that needs to be done around the house, do it. Tell her the same thing. Don't worry about who is doing more. Thinking that way will only lead to getting mad with one another.
1. Groundhog Day, 2. The Family Man, 3. Signs, 4. The Great Outdoors, 5. Cube, 6. 28 Days Later, 7. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, 8. City of God, 9. GOAL!, 10. V For Vendetta, 11. The Truman Show, 12. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 14. The Guardian, 15. The Game, 16. The Sixth Sense, 17. Jurassic Park, 18. Shaun of the Dead, 19. The Wrestler
Old 10-15-05, 11:48 AM   #3
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

Me.
Old 10-15-05, 11:49 AM   #4
ShallowHal

Unless you're broke, I'd consider hiring a service to come in once a month to clean the place. You can obviously handle dishes, soup drops on the stove, etc., but if you're both working I think it's well worth the money to have more time with each other, and not argue about it at all.
Old 10-15-05, 11:52 AM   #5
johnglass
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cube
When you see something that needs to be done around the house, do it. Tell her the same thing. Don't worry about who is doing more. Thinking that way will only lead to getting mad with one another.

Well, therein lies the problem. My wife "sees" a lot more to be done than I do. As a result every weekend she is tearing up the place, scrubbing everything from top to bottom. I think it's too much, but she's anal about cleaning (imo).

To be fair, we live in a one-bedroom condo, and cleaning the entire place every weekend would not take us long together, I just don't see the need for it.
Old 10-15-05, 11:59 AM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

She probably does more but that is mainly because she has a higher standard. I will make dinner, do dishes, fold laundry, etc. but her definition of what needs to be done, and mine, are different.

But I have never asked her to do anything.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 10-15-05, 12:10 PM   #7
FiveO
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I live alone...so I do.
Old 10-15-05, 12:15 PM   #8
IDrinkMolson
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The wife definitely does more.
I handle billing; automotive; house repairs, and most of the yardwork, she handles flowerbeds, and since our yard is big, and normally needs cut twice a week, she'll cut as well. We cook on the grill almost everynight in the summer, so I usually handle that too. I clean up after myself by putting dishes in the dishwasher, put dirty clothes in the basket, etc.
Old 10-15-05, 12:17 PM   #9
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 10-15-05, 12:42 PM   #10
RandyC
Super Moderator

Consuela.

I second the notion of hiring a service if you can afford it. But maybe more than once a month. At least every two weeks or once a week. That frees up a lot of the chores. The service can do all the scrubbing, floors, windows, dusting, etc. You are left with the dishes and picking up stuff and putting away your stuff.
Old 10-15-05, 12:45 PM   #11
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

I do

Though I have hired in the past ... I should do that again. Cleaning isn't a lot of fun.
Old 10-15-05, 12:47 PM   #12
La Bella Rose
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Me.

I do everything to!

I donít think my husband even knows how to operate a vacuum, dishwasher, or washing machine. I just got a job and I start on Monday so things are about to get interesting around my house. We have three boys so Iím guessing the house will be in shambles by Tuesday...
Old 10-15-05, 12:54 PM   #13
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

General Zod's gardener.
Old 10-15-05, 01:11 PM   #14
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Define "chores." I work at home all day, does that count?

My wife does more in general, no denying that. Especially when it comes to dusting, cleaning up for guests, fixing the beds, etc.

I usually vacuum, mow the lawn, water the plants (indoor and out) and I do 80-90% of the cooking. Outdoors, we both take care of weeding and planting together. She edges me on the weeding though. Home improvement projects... we're both in on it together. We do our own clothes laundry, but she does the "general" laundry (sheets, towels, etc). When it comes to maintenance (unclogging drains, caulking, general repairs) then it's me. But I'm sure she could give you a long list of things she does that I can't even think of, but certainly do appreciate.

Oh yeah, she pays most of the bills (all but my business bills and the mortgage) and I handle most (but far from all) of the garbage.

http://savejace.info/

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-15-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 01:43 PM   #15
Bronkster
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO
I live alone...so I do.
Same here, although I'm currently trying to teach my dog to pick up his toys and put them in the toybox (he's so damn cute).
Old 10-15-05, 02:11 PM   #16
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

I do lawnwork, home repairs/renovations, vacuuming, taking care of the cats, about half of the laundry and the dishes.

My wife does the other half of the laundry, cooks and does the rest of the cleaning. She also deals with our son a little more than I do.

Seems to work out okay.
Old 10-15-05, 02:25 PM   #17
talemyn
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO
I live alone...so I do.
Same here . . .

WAR EAGLE! <--- "If you look up 'good person' in the dictionary, this is the person you will find." - twikoff
Old 10-16-05, 12:00 AM   #18
WhoGirl
DVD Talk Legend

That would be me. I don't mind as I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about keeping the house clean. I just won't do the dishes. That's where I draw the line.

Old 10-16-05, 12:10 AM   #19
Cameron
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bella Rose

I just got a job and I start on Monday so things are about to get interesting around my house.
well someone has to pay for all these lost pig mask
HD-DVD Supporter
Old 10-16-05, 12:47 AM   #20
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sadly I do.
Old 10-16-05, 02:07 AM   #21
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
I donít think my husband even knows how to operate a vacuum, dishwasher, or washing machine. I just got a job and I start on Monday so things are about to get interesting around my house. We have three boys so Iím guessing the house will be in shambles by Tuesday...
I'm sorry, but, the hell? How do you put up with this stuff? And you even did all that while pregnant?

I hate it when guys don't know how to do simple household chores. I had a co-worker tell me she couldn't believe that I picked my son's clothes out for him in the morning before taking him to daycare. She had to lay out an outfit every night because her husband "just couldn't do it." Whatever...
Old 10-16-05, 09:27 AM   #22
costanza187
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The cat

My DVD Collection
Old 10-16-05, 09:39 AM   #23
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
I'm sorry, but, the hell? How do you put up with this stuff? And you even did all that while pregnant?
Admit it. You're jealous.

http://savejace.info/
Old 10-17-05, 06:27 AM   #24
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Vietnamese slave-girl.
Old 10-19-05, 05:07 AM   #25
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I do more than my girlfriend. I don't get a lot of sleep, so I occupy my time with chores that need to be done. I also keep a list of things that need to be done, and on my days off I do the entire list.
Sponsored Links