Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-07-05, 11:45 AM   #1
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Please Help with a project!

Ok, Ive never read any of the Harry Potter books. I saw the first movie once.

Now it turns out I have to come up with some promotional hype stuff for the final book coming out. Usually the companies give us stuff to work with but this time im on my own to just 'come up with something'.

Can anyone help tell me what kinds of THEMES this book might be about? Any large iconic imagery thats not too obscure?

I know its pretty much a 'part 2' for the last book. But that doesnt help me.

If anyone really does help I can promise you some huge posters and goodies that fans would like.
Old 10-07-05, 11:48 AM   #2
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Can anyone help tell me what kinds of THEMES this book might be about?
1) Satanism
2) ?
Old 10-07-05, 11:49 AM   #3
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Can anyone help tell me what kinds of THEMES this book might be about?
Harry Potter is gay

Quote:
Any large iconic imagery thats not too obscure?
Oh, it's just too easy.
Old 10-07-05, 11:53 AM   #4
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

lol you guys arent helping. I have a deadline!

I look up stuff on the net but "book 7 rumors" are all written for people who've read the first 6. Its all unrelatable to me. Character names dont mean anything to me. Is there some kind of MAIN creature or something?
Old 10-07-05, 11:55 AM   #5
dork
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Is there some kind of MAIN creature or something?
Beelzebub.
Old 10-07-05, 11:59 AM   #6
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

I think any promo on the 7th book would have to focus on a showdown between
Spoiler:
Harry and Voldemort.
Old 10-07-05, 12:04 PM   #7
Groucho

Unless your project is "sewing the world's biggest pair of black jeans," I'm not interested.

Also, if you really want people to buy the book, center your entire campaign around the premise that "Ron fucks Hermoine on page 437!!!"

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 10-07-05, 12:21 PM   #8
Quatermass
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How about:
"C'mon! You bought all the others, you mindless lemmings!"

or

"Buy this book or your child won't fit in"

of course, for the first one, you might be violating George Lucas' trademark.
Old 10-07-05, 12:27 PM   #9
KitchenSink
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Fred and George Weasley (with backing from Harry) dropped out of school to open up joke/novelty store. Things like remote controlled ears that can listen in on people, as well as magical gag stuff. Maybe you could think of some off the wall novelty items.

Quidditch (flying broomstick game) - maybe some Golden Snitches or something.
Old 10-07-05, 12:45 PM   #10
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you KS that helps a bit.

Basically if you had to do a childrens party with only the 7th book as a theme, how would you decorate it?

I know I probably sound like an idiot. This is how my job is sometimes--not much support other than the internet.

PS:
Spoiler:
I heard a rumor that quidditch is not played in this last book?
Old 10-07-05, 12:47 PM   #11
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Hogwarts or something.

http://savejace.info/
Old 10-07-05, 12:52 PM   #12
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thank you KS that helps a bit.

Basically if you had to do a childrens party with only the 7th book as a theme, how would you decorate it?

I know I probably sound like an idiot. This is how my job is sometimes--not much support other than the internet.

PS:
Spoiler:
I heard a rumor that quidditch is not played in this last book?
Something like a scavenger hunt might be a good idea. Im not sure if you want me to spoil the books for you.

Spoiler:
In book 7, Harry must find horcruxes, which are objects that contain a piece of Voldemort's soul. These must be found before Voldemort can be killed. So an idea might be to have a hunt where you could look for them.
Old 10-07-05, 01:00 PM   #13
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Yes! spoil the books for me. I did read rumors about those things. What do they look like?
Old 10-07-05, 01:02 PM   #14
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

does harry 'graduate' from hogwarts? Is that a theme or am I way off base? does he get awarded any special items?
Old 10-07-05, 01:04 PM   #15
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yes! spoil the books for me. I did read rumors about those things. What do they look like?
They could be ordinary objects and look like anything. We only know what a few of them are. I forget exactly what all of the ones we know about look like. One is a locket, one was a diary, and I forget the others.
Old 10-07-05, 01:05 PM   #16
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
does harry 'graduate' from hogwarts? Is that a theme or am I way off base? does he get awarded any special items?
He may not even go to Hogwarts next year. In the last book, Harry says he wont come back to Hogwarts. He is going to find the horcruxes and kill Voldemort.

Last edited by chrisih8u; 10-07-05 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 01:36 PM   #17
kneijst1
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of promotional hype are you responsible for? TV/radio/magazine ads? Or posters/flyers for bookstores? Is your goal to create awareness amongst non-die hard HP fans or non-HP fans? I'm assuming most hardcore HP fans know when the 7th and final book will be released. Personally, I just started reading them and I'm almost finished with book 4, about to start book 5.
Old 10-07-05, 01:55 PM   #18
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Without getting too specific, our company is bidding to 'decorate' a counting down type build up for a place. Promotional decorations that build anticipation for the book launch. Im putting together some concepts of how we could make it look. Since we dont have the job yet I dont get real promotional materials to work with for my concepts.
Old 10-07-05, 02:14 PM   #19
kneijst1
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, besides cardboard cut outs of Harry, Hermoine and Ron, you've probably got enough facts to run with something:
-final book
-final year of Hogwarts (if Harry actually goes..)
-final showdown with Voldermort

If you want to run by any beta designs by me or the other HP readers here, I'm sure we'd be glad to help a fellow otter.
Old 10-07-05, 02:21 PM   #20
KitchenSink
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it sounds to me like you have to gamble upon what's in #7, based upon flying rumors. I don't envy you that.

The books do have recurring things which may be fairly likely to pop up again in #7 - Harry has his Marauder's Map (which shows all of Hogwarts, and where everyone is at the moment), his Invisibility Cloak, Hegwig (his owl). Heck, maybe you could just do something with magic wands - they will have to be in there. The Sorting Hat? Hagrid and assorted strange animals - Buckbeak has been in and out, Fang, the spiders.
Old 10-07-05, 02:41 PM   #21
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Does he have a crystal ball or magic mirror? something that makes magic images/future telling? All the magic wands are just wood sticks right? not real fancy?
Old 10-07-05, 02:42 PM   #22
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Id have to keep all concepts under wraps but if we get the job Ill give you guys posters and promo gifts.
Old 10-07-05, 02:46 PM   #23
charlie bucket

There was a magic mirror in one of the books. It allowed Harry to see his dead mom and dad. And yes the wands are just wood sticks. Technically speaking, they are made up of magical things like dragon heart or unicorn horn. Stuff like that.
Old 10-07-05, 02:51 PM   #24
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Theres no couldrons in the series? If the mirror was used in only one book i shouldnt use it.
Old 10-07-05, 03:17 PM   #25
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

There are cauldrons, but they are not an important part.
Sponsored Links