Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-05, 10:11 AM   #1
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going to Indianapolis Thursday.

I'm going to Indianapolis on Thursday and returning back home on Sunday. What is there to do there? I will be bored out of my mind if I don't get a few suggestions. Any good dvd stores?
Old 08-16-05, 10:36 AM   #2
Shadow Ace

Go to the downtown area, near the stadium. There are lots of good bars and resturaunts. I believe there is also a shopping mall that spans several city blocks. I'd highly recommend St. Elmo's Steakhouse for eats.

Edited to add, there is also the Indianapolis Zoo in that area (a nice zoo) and a minor league ballpark if you want to catch some baseball.

Last edited by Shadow Ace; 08-16-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 10:38 AM   #3
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 08-16-05, 10:44 AM   #4
bryce0lynch

GENCON is this Thursday through Sunday.

Indianapolis has more war memorials than any other US city other than DC. The Medal of Honor memorial and the World War Memorial are VERY cool.

The Speedway has a museum, if you're interested in auto racing.

Massachutes Ave has a lot of art stores, and is quite near downtown.

The Childrens Museum, 38 blocks north of downtown, is world class.
Old 08-16-05, 11:38 AM   #5
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for St. Elmo's! Good steaks and sinfully delicious bread pudding for dessert.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 08-16-05, 11:41 AM   #6
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
there is also the Indianapolis Zoo in that area (a nice zoo) and a minor league ballpark if you want to catch some baseball.
Hell yea!

Quote:
GENCON is this Thursday through Sunday
I had to look up what this is. Seems interesting. Might have to pop in there.

Quote:
Indianapolis has more war memorials than any other US city other than DC. The Medal of Honor memorial and the World War Memorial are VERY cool.
I'll post some pics of these when I get back.

Thanks and, Keep them coming!
Old 08-16-05, 11:43 AM   #7
bryce0lynch

Board games, card games, RPG's, wargaming, miniatures, computer gaming, poker tournament, etc. If it's a game it's likely to be at GENCON. I think admission is about $20 a day?
Old 08-16-05, 12:26 PM   #8
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're going to be downtown, check out Massachusetts Ave. Chatterbox is a small bar with (usually) very enjoyable jazz acts. Luna is Indy's best independent record store, though the one on Mass. Ave. isn't quite as comprehensive as the one on the northside. Bazbeaux is a really good local pizza place. Rathskeller is a great historic Bavarian restaurant/bar with an outdoor biergarten that's one of the best places in the city in the summer. McNiven's is a great little Scottish pub. All of these can be found just by strolling down Mass. Ave.

Also downtown, though previously mentioned, is Victory Field. The Indians provide a very fun experience as far as minor league ball goes. If you want to catch a movie, Hollywood Bar & Filmworks on South Meridian is fun. Loads of classic posters & memoribilia to take in while you have a drink and wait for your movie to start. If you like blues, the Slippery Noodle on South Meridian is another neat, historic venue.

Because I'm bored, have a little time to spare and hate when people overlook the fact that Indianapolis does have at least SOME cool spots, here are some links:

http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/profile/3950357/
http://www.lunamusic.net/
http://www.bazbeaux.com/locations.html
http://www.rathskeller.com
http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/profile/41379082/
http://indyindians.com
http://www.filmworksonline.com
http://www.slipperynoodle.com/
Old 08-16-05, 12:29 PM   #9
weargle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Make sure you wear a "I Heart Bernie Ecclestone" tee shirt into a local bar. Scream "Max Mosely is God". Make friends.
Old 08-16-05, 12:40 PM   #10
wendersfan

Are you driving through Columbus in either direction? If so, we should meet up. I've always wanted to meet the other "Thundering Herd" Otter.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-16-05, 12:47 PM   #11
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad I can't find an mp3 of this... it's a hoot:
http://hb.sarah-beth.com/songs/indy.html

...Meridian Streeeet, you are a-callin’ me...
Old 08-16-05, 12:51 PM   #12
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Are you driving through Columbus in either direction? If so, we should meet up. I've always wanted to meet the other "Thundering Herd" Otter.
Sorry taking the train. Gas is just too expensive to go by car. I'll shoot you a message next time I'm going to Columbus.
Old 08-16-05, 01:46 PM   #13
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemdog
Sorry taking the train. Gas is just too expensive to go by car. I'll shoot you a message next time I'm going to Columbus.
Well, I spend five consecutive days in Huntington recently, but I was too busy to socialize. Next time I'm in town I'll send you a message, too.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-21-05, 07:27 PM   #14
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm back and wanted to post a few pics. Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Congressional Medal Honor Memorial. I'll try to post some good ones of this later.

Went to the Zoo. This little guy looked so morose that I had to take a picture of him.

I also went to Gen Con for one day.

Old 08-21-05, 08:13 PM   #15
indianajdp
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So Lemdog ... what did you think of our city?

I've been a Hoosier all my life and moved here after graduating from IU-Bloomington in '96 and I absolutely love it. It's a big city (13th largest in the nation) but it's easy to forget that it is a big city.

By the way, I've been looking for a great pick of the skyline for my desktop background. That first pic you linked is AWESOME and is now my wallpaper. Thanks!!
Old 08-21-05, 10:39 PM   #16
Lemdog
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajdp
So Lemdog ... what did you think of our city?
It's a big city (13th largest in the nation) but it's easy to forget that it is a big city.
That is so true traffic wasn't like D.C. or Chicago. It is like a small town feel in a big city. I loved every moment there. I hope to go back soon.