Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-15-05, 08:04 AM   #1
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those with kids.. What are some essential items / "must haves"?

My wife and I are expecting (January 4th) and we just went to baby's "R" us last night to look around.. Man, there is quite the variety for everything. There are some pretty sweet strollers out there!

Some questions.. What are some things as parents you think are the best / coolest things you now realize you couldn't have lived without? You know.. Like a certain stroller feature, diaper disposer, etc..

Thanks!
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 08-15-05, 08:09 AM   #2
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Ear plugs.
Old 08-15-05, 08:11 AM   #3
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll remember that one..
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 08-15-05, 08:14 AM   #4
Jazzbutcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition

diaper disposers are unnecessary IMHO. If you take out the garbage daily, there's no need to store a week's worth of foul smelling turds in a lightly-scented container. We got rid of the diaper genie for kid #2.

#1 purchase is a lightweight stroller that is easily collapsed (one handed)for the car or minivan. We had one of those giant do-everything ones but found it too bulky. Aluminum is your friend.

#2 is a good quality carseat. Don't skimp, and swing by the police station--they'll help you make sure it's secured properly.

My biggest "a-ha"...When you purchase baby bottles, get all the same brand with identical nipples. Different brands are not compatible and the last thing you need at 3:17 a.m. is to fumble around for a matching set.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-05, 08:16 AM   #5
FunkDaddy J
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Here's one thing we used for both our kids: a heartbeat bear. It's a stuffed bear with a digital recording inside it that mimics the sound of the mother's heartbeat, as heard from the womb. Perhaps because of this, at least in part, both of our kids slept through the night very early and were never colicky. Two very calm, happy infants.
Old 08-15-05, 08:16 AM   #6
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Playmat/gym:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arium&n=171306

Learning Table:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ium&n=12945841

Swing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...oys&n=12945841

Doorway jumper:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...oys&n=12945841

And don't worry - you get used to the noise.

And I agree w/ the above advice - diaper dispensers are a waste of money. My sister used the diaper genie w/ her first daughter for about a month, before she realized it was a complete waste of money.

Last edited by B.A.; 08-15-05 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 08:20 AM   #7
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for providing the links B.A.!

tdirgins, so your saying the sweet looking strollers that have the car seat that connects right in, etc, is not the way to go?

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 08-15-05, 08:27 AM   #8
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Thanks for providing the links B.A.!

tdirgins, so your saying the sweet looking strollers that have the car seat that connects right in, etc, is not the way to go?
No problem.

The big car-seat strollers are fine - if you have the trunk space. The little ones do come in handy, especially when travelling by plane.
Old 08-15-05, 08:43 AM   #9
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdirgins

#1 purchase is a lightweight stroller that is easily collapsed (one handed)for the car or minivan. We had one of those giant do-everything ones but found it too bulky. Aluminum is your friend.
Another vote for the lightweight stroller...........
Old 08-15-05, 08:47 AM   #10
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hook me up with a link y'all... Need to know this stroller your talking about!

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 08-15-05, 08:54 AM   #11
lotsofdvds
Suspended

Well I guess it's too late to suggest condoms.
Old 08-15-05, 08:55 AM   #12
Pointyskull
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Hook me up with a link y'all... Need to know this stroller your talking about!
I think they're called umbrella strollers.

You'll still want one of those big bulky strollers - they offer more support, all sorts of room for storage of different things- but those cheap, lightweight strollers are perfect when you don't want to lug around a monstrosity on wheels.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-15-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 09:05 AM   #13
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

The bigger strollers are nice when the baby is real small. That way they can pretty much sleep laying down, etc. etc.

Once the baby is big enough to sit up, it probably will want to. then you can probably get away with one of the smaller ones. We used like a $10 cheapo one. I think they call them "umbrella" strollers.

The stroller thing also probably depends on how much you really are going to use the stroller and what you need it for. If you or your wife often goes to the mall for the day and is shopping all day, well then maybe you will want the bigger stroller. If you want to take the baby for walks and stuff in the stroller, I think they make ones that have better wheels more made for that.

The all in one units that are car seats, strollers, etc. I think are kinda small in terms of the car seat. I think that your baby outgrows those fairly quickly. There are differant size cars and you will outgrow your first car seat fairly quickly. If your stroller is like that, you will outgrow that quickly as well.

I think the big ones that have multiple cup holders and all that stuff can be overkill.

Definately get one of the vibrating chair thingies or a little swing type thing. Those things are great. They are really good at helping get the little one to sleep. Plus they are great if you need to put the kid down for a short time. Maybe to cook dinner or take a shower. Put them into the chair/swing, and they will fall asleep.

Diaper disposal thingy, didn't use/need one. Again, with a baby you WILL be taking out the garbage every day, so as long as you have a garbage can that has a lid the smell won't get bad. Every once in a while you may get a diaper that you want to take out right away.
Old 08-15-05, 09:21 AM   #14
Jazzbutcher
DVD Talk Gold Edition

umbrella strollers will not offer enough support to a newborn, but it's doubtful you'll be doing a lot of walking the first few moths anyway. If I could go back in time I would've gone with a Maclaren. Mclaren makes some sweet strollers, although they are pricey. Check out Craigslist as when the kids get too big, they become absolutely worthless. People are always selling them.

Old 08-15-05, 09:36 AM   #15
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We used both a 'real' stroller, for long trips, and an umbrella stroller for the shorter trips and just to toss in the back of the car. You probably don't need to buy an umbrella stroller, about every six months Toys R us has a 'Free umbrella stroller with purchase' coupon, saves about 12 bucks.
They do have all kinds of strollers, jogging strollers, padded strollers, etc; depends on where you will be taking him/her.

Swingy chairs are great, they can keep the child secure and rock him to sleep. Our boy loved the Jumpin Jiminy or whatever, the bungee-type seat that hangs in a doorway to bounce around in [obviously he was older when he used this.]

Do the research on car seats, we had one of the 'removable/snap in' ones, and it did work quite well and was easy to use, but yes, he grew out of it pretty quick. Then we got a convertible one that should last a couple of years. And definitely take it to a police station or fire station--something like 75% of all child car seats are allegedly installed incorrectly.

A sound monitor of some kind is very useful. We didn't get a really fancy one, just one microphone and two speaker units, one for the kitchen/downstairs and one for the bedroom.

Baby bottles--buy a couple of different kinds first, see what s/he likes. We got some Dr Browns as a gift, and he didnt like them at all, so had we bought a bunch, we'd be out of luck.

Our boy is almost three, and he still loves that music/learning table. Actually, most of his LeapFrog stuff, he really likes. We've got the karaoke thing [age 2+ I think], a Little Leap, and that table.

You might also want to pick up the book 'Baby Bargains', it's a good, realistic look at all the stuff you *can* buy for your kid/s, how to save money on them, and what you absolutely *don't* need or shouldn't get.

One of those car mirrors was good; the kind you hook to the backseat so you can see the child [who's facing backwards at first] and s/he can see you.

I would also suggest not worrying about Baby Einstein or Little Genius dvd's/tapes, at least not yet. There are lots of kids videos available, and plenty of time for him to watch stuff later. There's evidence suggesting children shouldn't watch any tv at all until they're 1.5 - 2 years old. They can learn a lot more just watching people/parents, exploring on his own. If anything, give him plenty of books to play with/look at, and make sure he sees you reading. He'll only be a baby an amazingly brief time, don't waste it in front of the television.

Oh, and Congratulations, btw.

Last edited by dtcarson; 08-15-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 09:53 AM   #16
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Things we used and loved (our daughter is one):
umbrella stroller for car
heavier stroller kept at the house for taking walks around the neighborhood
a battery operated swing (this was one of the few things that would put her to sleep as a newborn)
the little vibrating seats (same thing as the swing)
like someone mentioned earlier - get all the same brand bottles
a nice baby monitor with at least 2 receivers (i wish we had gotten one with the video monitoring but you can easily live without it)
don't skimp on the car seat
don't go out and buy a bunch of new clothes - find a thrift store or look at yard sales as the summer winds down. They outgrow the clothes so quickly it is silly to buy full priced new ones. Since we have a daughter i figure i will be berated into buy name brand new clothes in a few years, so when she is young enough to not care i'll dress her cheaply.

wastes of money:
diaper genie and diaper pails - we were given one for free and it was a waste of time
baby wipe warmers - silly gadgets that really don't serve a purpose
Baby Einstein videos and stuff

As our daughter hit like 6-8 months we picked up the Leapad learning table for her and she has loved it. She also adores music so we keep her away from any television, make sure to read her at least one book a day, and play lots of music. Every time she hears the Grateful Dead or Rusted Root she starts dancing.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Live gamertag: xmiyux
Old 08-15-05, 10:02 AM   #17
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep the replies coming!!

xmiyux, it's nice to see you still have time to play xbox. Hopefully I will too

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 08-15-05, 10:09 AM   #18
ANDREMIKE
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YOU DEFINITILY NEED A STROLLER THAT LAYS DOWN!!! It great to be able to lay your child down when your out and hope he/she falls asleep.
Old 08-15-05, 10:13 AM   #19
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely hit the clearance racks, or kids-resale stores, or garage sales, or consignment sales, for most of the kids clothes. Depending on the size of your family and friends you'll probably get lots of clothes; our problem has been wearing the clothes before he outgrows them. The clothes will either be outgrown or ruined long before you've gotten full price out of them. And as he gets older, he'll have his favorite clothes that he'll want to wear over and over again. We have so many clothes for him, if he'd let us, we could go months without doing laundry [other than socks]. I'm sure there's at least 12 or 15 or 20 items of clothing that are in his closet that have never been worn.

I know it's got a rep, but we get lots of his clothes from the clearance racks Walmart. Got three short-and-shirt sets in the past two weeks for 3, 4, and 5 bucks respectively. He's already worn one of them three times.

We had a Diaper Genie, and it did what it was supposed to do, very well, but it got to be a pain to use, and the refills were expensive. Then we got a Diaper Magic, which used regular trash bags but was more 'airtight' than a regular trashcan. It did its job. Then we got a regular plastic trash can with a flip top lid [and foot pedal, very handy], and just drop some baking soda in each new bag.

Wipe warmers--Obviously there are differing opinions on this, but we still use one. It made that nighttime diaper change much easier when we were cleaning him with something warm instead of cold. As you can see, YMMV on that one.
Old 08-15-05, 10:15 AM   #20
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You MUST buy a swing, one with an electric motor. If I had another kid I'd buy a swing before a crib. The swing would put my daughter to sleep, but I could take it in the kitchen or living room and talk to her while I was doing chores.

I had a swing that you had to crank which was a drag because it would wake my baby. Swings are my baby shower gifts now. I loved the swing.

Also, I'd say a medium-sized stroller and a umbrella one. My "cadillac" stroller was used on those long trips to the mall/zoo etc. I used it longer than appropriate...try to get a toddler to keep up on a 8-hour shopping excursion, they get cranky and sleepy and the stroller helps.

Last edited by iggystar; 08-15-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 10:22 AM   #21
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

We never used the baby monitors, but that was just us. The babies were always in the next room. My wife is such a light sleeper that she always heard anything the baby did, and I am such a sound sleeper I never would have woken up if noice came through the monitor.

We didn't have baby einstein videos for our first child, but somebody had given us a set by the time of our second child. I would say that they aren't any better/worse than anything else. The kid seemed to like the music and such, and the combination of the video/chair/swing was a good way to keep the baby occupied for short periods of time. No matter how involved you are and how much time you spend doing things with the baby, there are going to be times when you need to take care of some other things. Need to take a shower, need to cook a meal, do some laundry, change some sheets. Ya can't spend ALL your time with the baby.

You can probably find somebody that you know that has kid videos and stuff that doesn't need them any more. We inherited a bunch from other people, and then we passed them on when our kids were too old.

If you are lucky maybe you can find some clothes outlets in your are. We have a Carter's outlet store nearby. My wife was able to go there and get shirts for like 2 or 3 bucks. Pants for like 5 bucks. Maybe even less at times. Sometimes you could find shirts and stuff that were "imperfect" and get them for like a buck. You get a perfectly fine shirt except maybe there is one little stitch out of place, or a pin-head size mark, or the little logo is missing, or something like that. It is a shirt your baby is gonna puke on and stain anyway. I remember one pair of nice heavy fleece pajamas that both of my boys ended up using very much. Probably the pair of winter pajamas that got the most use. Got them for a 1 as imperfect. The problem was that the dinosaur print was upside down.

We also got tons of clothes as gifts. I wouldn't go out and buy any clothes until after a baby shower. You get so much stuff when you first have the baby. I don't think we bough clothese for our first child until he was older than a year. Seriously. Friends, family, co-workers. Even if they gave a shower gift, when my wife had the baby, they would give you another gift. It was often just one or two small outfits/pajamas/onesies but that all added up.
Old 08-15-05, 10:27 AM   #22
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Diaper Genie / whatever - junk, don't waste your money

Monitor - a friend of mine went through several until he was satisfied. The static that most put out annoyed the crap out of him. He found a Sony system that works perfect and is noise free. The one we have is staticy, but we just tolerate it.

mobile - we didn't have any luck with it. We have a real stereo/boombox in our baby's room to play soothing CDs.

Stroller - I have to somewhat disagree with those against the big stroller combos. We used ours exclusively for 1 year. Your baby is going to sleep most of the time. You are going to want to get errands done. You leave the baby asleep in the car seat and attach it to the stroller. No waking up baby, unfastening him/her to put in an uncomfy position in a regular stroller. It is amazing how easy the system is. Once you use it you will love it. I can't tell you how many times we would go shopping and get in and out without baby waking up. It also saves time not having to latch/unlatch straps repeatedly. You pop it off the stroller and pop it into the car base. A snap. Like mentioned, the big con is that it does require some trunk space since they don't fold as small as the lightweight ones. I have an escort, and with the stroller in the trunk, that is all that will go in there. BTW, some of those cheapy ones aren't as tall and are a killer on the back. The wife will want something fancy with all the frills, but do some research at Consumer Reports for safety ratings. They are the only people that rigorously test car seats. They rate them on safety, easy of use and the like. Then read reviews at various sites to see the average users experience.

Swing: we used this one and our daughter loved it. Get one that is small and easy to tote from room to room. This one swings itself (I'm sure most do though), plays music and has flashing lights. Excellent for getting things done like laundry, dinner, dishes, whatever. Soothing and puts them to sleep.

Bouncer: like this one . Again, small light and portable. This one is easy to bouce with your foot which comes in handy when you want to relax on the sofa. This also doubled as our highchair for a while.

Doorway bouncer - my little girl is just starting to like it (1 yr old) b/c she walks and can touch the floor to make it bounce and spin. Before she just dangled and didn't care for it. Could probably wait on this purchase.

High chair can wait. We breastfed for 6 months, then went probably another 2-3 just using the bouncer to feed since they eat so little at that age.

Clothes - I agree with everyone, especially tcoursen. Don't get any until after the shower (If there will be one) We didn't have to buy any for like 6-8 months. We picked some up on occasion, and even then they were usually from a discount store/thrift shop. Don't waste your money on the name brand stuff, all that will come in due time.

Videos - a waste, the baby einsten and whatnot, don't bother. My little girl is just now getting interested and enjoys them somewhat now (at 1) but definitely a waste up until now. (she loves the Muppet Show that I just picked up as well as the Little People videos)

And the big must:

Lastly, a lot of these things can be found in great condition and at great prices at thrift shops and yard sales, there are people out there that take good care of their stuff and sell it. Just be sure and clean them up and sanitize them well. But don't skimp on the car seat, buy that new for sure.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-15-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 10:27 AM   #23
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Keep the replies coming!!

xmiyux, it's nice to see you still have time to play xbox. Hopefully I will too
babies sleep a lot. You may have to squeeze it in a differant times and you probably won't get to always play x-box when you want, but if you are flexible you should be able to do a lot of the things you did before.

After having the two kids I didn't notice much of a differance in the amount of time I had to do things at my house. What changed was the amount of time I had to do stuff AWAY from the house.

Baby ties you to the house a little bit.
Old 08-15-05, 10:31 AM   #24
tcoursen
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
High chair can wait. We breastfed for 6 months, then went probably another 2-3 just using the bouncer to feed since they eat so little at that age.
When you look for the high chair try and find one where you can open/remove the tray with one hand. When we were shopping for one we didn't even think of this, and some very nice lady showed us one that did it. We then looked at the other ones and many were ackward.

It is very nice to be able to hold the baby with one hand, and then open up and close back up the tray.

Maybe newer ones all do this, but 5-6 years ago they all didn't. After we talked to that women we went to every one in the store and checked out how easily they opened up and were amazed that most of them were actually a pain in the ass to open and really really required two hands.
Old 08-15-05, 10:36 AM   #25
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoursen
When you look for the high chair try and find one where you can open/remove the tray with one hand.
Solid point. I think most do this now, and some better than others. We got a "hand-me-down" with the one hand latch that worked perfect.

edit, BTW there is this thread that might have had some tips from what I remember.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-15-05 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links