Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-29-05, 04:13 PM   #1
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Help Me Buy a New Camera Bag

I currently have a medium-sized shoulder bag with a flat top and an upper flap that opens quickly with plastic buckles. I wear it over my shoulder and can quickly flip the top open and access a flash or change a lens. I must retain this quick access functionality.

However, here's the problem. For certain events, I'll wear this thing for 16+ hours at a time, multiple days in a row. As my amount of gear has increased, so has the annoyance and discomfort. It's not so much the weight but the constant focused pressure on my shoulder.

What I need then is something similar to a shoulder bag but with extra support. I spend hours at a huge camera store in Atlanta trying to find something that would work and came up empty. I've also tried digging through B&H's website, but their invetory is so huge that I get lost in it.

Here's what I'll be carrying 95% of the time:

300D
28-105
70-300
420 EX flash
Accessories (batteries, CF cards, cleaner, etc)

I may also carry a 50mm prime (being replaced by the 35mm) and/or the 18-55 kit lens that came with the 300D. Both are very light, so not carrying them won't affect weight much, just space. It's the batteries and larger flashes that make it so heavy.

I don't want a backpack. I know distributing the weight across two shoulders would make it much easier, but quick access is the most important thing here. What I think I need is a shoulder bag that has an additional waist wrap or a shoulder bag that hangs to one side but has dual straps for two shoulders. However, I can't really seem to find anything like that.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 07-29-05, 04:15 PM   #2
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Do you always carry the camera inside the bag or leave it on your opposite shoulder with a lens attached?

Do you like belt bags?
Old 07-29-05, 04:23 PM   #3
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Lowepro Pro Mag 2 AW.

I own the Pro Mag 1 AW myself, which I could fit my D100, AF-S 80-200, SB-80DX, batteries, etc. This is no longer made, but if I had a choice, the Pro Mag 2 AW would be it, because the little longer length, makes an 80-200 or 70-200 fit perfectly/comfortably.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-29-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:23 PM   #4
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Buford T Pusser

Do you always carry the camera inside the bag or leave it on your opposite shoulder with a lens attached?
Both. I'll go an hour or two with the camera/lens around my neck (not comfortable with it on the shoulder) and constantly shooting followed by another hour or two with it tucked in the case while I'm doing other things.

Quote:
Buford T Pusser

Do you like belt bags?
I don't know. I saw some modular systems online, but I haven't seen one in person. One thing I have to consider is that being able to separate myself from the camera bag for short periods of time is important. I may need to sit down in a crowded room for half an hour and be able to slide it under my chair hold it in my lap or something. Something that's semi-permenantly attached would get cumbersome in those situations.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 07-29-05, 04:26 PM   #5
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
DVD Polizei

Lowepro Pro Mag 2 AW.

I like the look of that. How easy is it to navigate the top of the bag (grab a flash, switch a lens) from over the shoulder?

das

Old 07-29-05, 04:27 PM   #6
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Instant. I've used it during anti-war protests and having teargas in my eyes at the same time. Ahhh, the memories.

The lid is made so you can semi-permantly leave it up while you're walking around, or flip it up when needed. Semi-permanently, because you're body movements could make it close.

I switched between my 50mm 1.4 and 80-200 quite often.

And yes, this is a great bag for sliding under a seat or something.

Btw, that's the Compact AW, which is probably too small. Here's the 2 AW:

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-29-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:46 PM   #7
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

I'll try to find one in person, but from the pictures it looks like exactly when I need. Hours wasted searching online when I should have just posted here to start.

Thanks!

das

Old 07-29-05, 04:48 PM   #8
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have a lot of equipment, so I use this little Quantaray.

You know, for when it's time to do serious work:

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 07-29-05, 04:53 PM   #9
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Where can I get one?

DVD Polizei, I'm getting greedy now, but have you tried converting this thing to a backpack before? While I like the waist strap, it does look a tad bulky, and if I needed to carry it a considerable distance, it might be nice to toss on the back.

Edit: Hmmm ... http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Acce...k_Harness.aspx

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-29-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:58 PM   #10
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

And here I was just going to post that link.

The shoulder straps are the best I've experienced. They are very comfortable, and have a lot of cushion around the shoulders. I've walked around for hours with little irritation.

Old 07-29-05, 05:12 PM   #11
lordzeppelin
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

das...

I'm carrying a similar amount of equipment with a 350d/xt...I went through much of what you are going through over the past 3 days. I ended up playing with a Kata bag at a local shop, and noticed they have a full line, and although the bag was too too big (3 bodies and 6 lenses size), I was impressed with the quality.

I ordered a Kata C-58 from B&H today...it's part of their system that can be modular and put on a sling, that from the looks of it on their site, can be quite comfy. THe C-58 may be a bit small for all you want, but the C-59 might fit, or one of their other bags. These bags are very protective, waterproof, lightweight, and best of all, well designed.

edited to add linkification...
http://www.kata-bags.com/videoLobby.asp

Here's all I'll be jamming in it...

Rebel XT
BG-E3 battery grip
Canon EF-S IS 17-85mm USM lens
Tamron 100-300mm zoom
spare charger + 2 spare NB2LH Batteries
memory cards
Sunpak PX40z Flash
Adorama Pod beanbag
3 filters + misc accessories

And that should all fit comfortably...This bag is the shit. I'm pretty excited for it to arrive next Tuesday...

Oh, and das...let's see some pics. Perhaps I should revive my photo critique thread...it was quit popular...I've been taking some good shots lately (I'm creatively rejuvinated...and I've been shooting some concerts for local bands, hence the new equipment and switch to a digital SLR finally - been makin a few $$ here and there again).

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 07-29-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 05:26 PM   #12
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
lordzeppelin

Oh, and das...let's see some pics.
I'm not any good, and all my pics are touristy stuff and event coverage, but since you ask, here are some classics (try not to laugh ):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371640
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384892
http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/drag...004/index.html

Thanks for the link. I'll go check those out.

das

Old 07-29-05, 06:24 PM   #13
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Ever visit Moose Persters site? Might give you some ideas

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/

I'm more of a Tenba and Domke fan. I go Tenba if I want padded (airline travel) or Domke if I want the ultimate in light weight. Some people don't like the Domke as they don't pad as much (well, the original and it variants are not, but some of their bags are padded and you can get padded inserts if you want).

But the original Domke is still one of my favorite bags,

If yo want padded and like the Tenba, pretty much just pick the size you need.

Home Theater Build
Old 07-29-05, 10:27 PM   #14
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Ever visit Moose Persters site? Might give you some ideas

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/

I'm more of a Tenba and Domke fan. I go Tenba if I want padded (airline travel) or Domke if I want the ultimate in light weight. Some people don't like the Domke as they don't pad as much (well, the original and it variants are not, but some of their bags are padded and you can get padded inserts if you want).

But the original Domke is still one of my favorite bags,

If yo want padded and like the Tenba, pretty much just pick the size you need.

I have a polarizing filter that's called a Moose Filter. Must be that guy.

The only bag I've ever used is Domke. I had the exact one you have pictured but the darker brown. I sold it on eBay for $90 and it was less than that when I bought it 20 years ago. I've since bought black bags-had a few more of the original size, one Super Compact and the last I've been using was the original w/their ballistic material which has really lasted.

I have a belt bag by them which allows you to add side pouches and it's done a good job.

It looks one of the above would work well for you so I'm guessing Domke isn't the bag for you.

Tenba or Lowe has some nice belt bags that I believe convert to shoulder or vice versa.
Old 07-30-05, 02:46 PM   #15
lordzeppelin

I think the Domke bags are nice...it's just that the one I specifically liked was $200...and I just couldn't spend that on a bag. I need a new flash...so the Kata bag fit the bill. plus, the kata bag is made of dense foam...
Old 07-30-05, 04:06 PM   #16
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Wow! $200 is a lot of money for a bag.
Old 07-30-05, 04:11 PM   #17
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Ehhhhh, not really. At first it might seem like a lot, but usually, bags like these last for years and years. I've had my Lowepro for 4 years now. I have a Photo Trekker II AW as well, and I am pretty much set. It's nice to know your gear is going to be protected.

Old 07-30-05, 04:46 PM   #18
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

Checkout the Crumpler bags.
Old 07-30-05, 04:54 PM   #19
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

get a crumpler!
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 07-30-05, 09:11 PM   #20
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Ehhhhh, not really. At first it might seem like a lot, but usually, bags like these last for years and years. I've had my Lowepro for 4 years now. I have a Photo Trekker II AW as well, and I am pretty much set. It's nice to know your gear is going to be protected.

It seems like a lot when it doesn't take a picture.

I'm not sure how much my ballistic Domke cost. I was guessing around $125? I've used it a lot and it still looks like new. Probably five days a week for the last 8-10 years.

The old Domke canvas bags would start looking beat up after a few years. I'm going to sell a used Original bags on eBay and maybe one Super Compact. Plus one belt bag w/side pouches.
Old 07-30-05, 10:44 PM   #21
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I'm not seeing a single Crumpler bag that even comes close to matching my requirements.

As to the price, $200 is nothing. If it makes my shoulders feel better and makes my life easier, it'll be worth every penny.

I spent the day hopping around camera shops in Atlanta, and I've confirmed that there isn't a Pro Mag 2 AW to be found anywhere in the state. However, I did get a good look at the Compact, which is essentially the same thing (wider but not as tall with two detachable pouches on the side), and I liked it. I really liked the shoulder strap too. In fact, after looking at it for a while, I wonder if it might actually be a better solution. My flash is only 8 inches tall, and my longest lens is about the same, so either should work. I guess the only drawback is that the waist belt isn't included, but the loops are there.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-31-05 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-30-05, 10:55 PM   #22
Buford T Pusser
DVD Talk Hero

WTF is a Crumpler?
Old 07-31-05, 01:42 AM   #23
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

A. Crumpler:

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-31-05 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-31-05, 03:10 AM   #24
lordzeppelin

Adorama carries some Crumpler bags...they're an Australian company, and they make quality bags, comparable to RoadWired or NorthFace (for backpacks) in the US.

BTW, I should have mentioned before...I do have a Lowepro that I've been using for 6 years now that is fricken great, and it's a Nova 3. That's where my Rebel 2k stays with lenses and a flash and such...and before that the AE-1 was in there. It's a solid and realiable bag...I just couldn't find a newer Lowepro, locally at least, that had what I wanted.

I dunno...it's not like I have any friggin brand loyalty on this, save for Canon equipment, but their bags and camera straps are shameful. Speaking of straps, the only decent camera store in Pittsburgh apparently closed recently (Fotoshop Squirrel Hill), and now all that's left is friggin' Ritz, and they don't have shit to look at because every damn location is jammed in a small mall store, or they never have a damn thing in stock, and the sales-people may actually know less about the products than Best Buy employees (which is a very hard thing to do)...so anyone have a recommendation on a strap? I have a Tamrac strap on the rebel 2k, with quick releases and such, and I like that - it has 2 tracks or like rubber woven into the one side of it that keeps it nice and stuck to my shoulder, and flames on the other side, but I can't seem to find one like that in the sea tha is the B&H catalog...
Old 07-31-05, 12:40 PM   #25
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
WTF is a Crumpler?
Camera bags that doesn't look like a camera bag. It looks like a messenger bag.

Here is an example of two.
http://www.pbase.com/iagrafx/equipe
Sponsored Links