Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-13-05, 11:31 AM   #1
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Proactiv Solution - Does it work?

I'm sure you guys have all seen the commercials with Jessica Simpson and P Diddy talking about this acne solution. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.proactiv.com/

I'm 27 and still get acne.. I also have some scarring from picking at them.. any suggestions?

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 07-13-05, 11:39 AM   #2
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

• Don't pick
  • If you have the means, see a dermatologist.
  • If you don't have the means, try different cleaning solutions until you find one that works for you. Keep in mind it will never go away entirely as the cause is many times internal. There is no truth to the whole eating chocolate / greasy foods thing giving you acne.
  • Get some SUN. Go outside in the summer for 15-20 minutes each day, without sunblock. One way to combat acne is to have healthy skin. Healthy skin is helped by Vitamin D. Vitamin D is produced by skin exposed to sun. Do NOT burn yourself -- do it in moderation. Do NOT stay outside for a few hours at a time without protection. Simply get enough sun until you start seeing a difference.
  • I am not a dermatologist or even in medicine.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 07-13-05, 11:40 AM   #3
Flay
Video Game Talk Editor

53 reviews of the Lotion:

http://www.epinions.com/beat-Skincar...splay_~reviews

18 reviews of the Toner:

88 reviews of the Cleanser:

Old 07-13-05, 11:42 AM   #4
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

saw those and they are pretty varied

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 07-13-05, 11:49 AM   #5
Chris777

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
  • Don't pick
  • If you have the means, see a dermatologist.
  • If you don't have the means, try different cleaning solutions until you find one that works for you. Keep in mind it will never go away entirely as the cause is many times internal. There is no truth to the whole eating chocolate / greasy foods thing giving you acne.
  • Get some SUN. Go outside in the summer for 15-20 minutes each day, without sunblock. One way to combat acne is to have healthy skin. Healthy skin is helped by Vitamin D. Vitamin D is produced by skin exposed to sun. Do NOT burn yourself -- do it in moderation. Do NOT stay outside for a few hours at a time without protection. Simply get enough sun until you start seeing a difference.
  • I am not a dermatologist or even in medicine.
good list but, you're refering to vitamin d which is for bones, what he needs is vitamin b, i should know, i have form of rosacea.
Old 07-13-05, 11:50 AM   #6
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

going to just go the dermatologist route, i think

Old 07-13-05, 12:08 PM   #7
iggystar
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777
good list but, you're refering to vitamin d which is for bones, what he needs is vitamin b, i should know, i have form of rosacea.
Vitamin D is also necessary for healthy skin in which small doses of sun stimulate.
Old 07-13-05, 01:50 PM   #8
roger_d
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do know a few people that it has worked for.
Old 07-13-05, 02:56 PM   #9
nodoubt

didnt work for me. but it eventually lessened/stopped.
Old 07-13-05, 03:08 PM   #10
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

It's fantastic on toasts.
Old 07-13-05, 03:12 PM   #11
WarriorPrincess
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think proactiv is just benzoyl peroxide (oxy products use this too). It can bleach fabrics, and be very harsh on the skin (proactiv uses a very weak solution to counteract the normal drying of the skin by benzoyl peroxide). See a dermatologist if at all possible. Don't pick at your skin. Wear sunscreen designed for the face - I like Stila - it is expensive, but non-clogging, non-greasy and spf 30. A little sun is a good thing - a lot of sun is asking for wrinkles and/or cancer. Never go to bed until you've washed your face with a mild cleanser. Start the day with a clean face, too. My boyfriend breaks out a little every time he gets lazy about that. Don't touch your face - the oils in your hands and dirt on your hands will clog your pores.

Use an alpha hydroxy product to slough off the top layer of skin, exposing healthier skin underneath. This also helps unclog pores and minimize wrinkles. It also speeds up the exposure of new skin so that scars disappear faster. Mederma is great for scars - though I've never used it on my face.

Try a milder regiment (and I do mean regiment - consistency is key) like cetaphil cleanser twice daily and neutrogena multi-vitamin acne treatment with salicylic acid twice daily all over your face. Plus the sunscreen. In my experience that has solved the occasional breakout problem. Note that this is mainly preventative - the existing blemishes will have to run their course.

Oh, and drink a lot of water - it helps your whole system stay healthy, especially your skin.

Hank: It feels like somebody with a fever is yelling at my pants!
Old 07-13-05, 04:04 PM   #12
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I'm sure you guys have all seen the commercials with Jessica Simpson and P Diddy talking about this acne solution. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.proactiv.com/

I'm 27 and still get acne.. I also have some scarring from picking at them.. any suggestions?
My fiancee's brother had TERRIBLE acne. Nothing worked for him, OTC or prescription. The only thing that worked was ProActiv. He looks much better now.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 07-13-05, 04:14 PM   #13
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend

It works for some better than others. I'm 37 and still get acne. It worked initially for me but then it started burning. My face looked sunburned. It was too strong.

I went to a dermatologist. It helped but it was expensive and a temporary solution.

Now, I use a product called Carley's Clear & Smooth. I heard about it on the net. A guy sells tons of the stuff on ebay. It's very gentle on my skin and makes it feels fresh and smooth after. And it definitely keeps acne at bay. Active ingredient is 2% Benzoyl Peroxide. Best of all, it's only one step instead of 3 like proactive. I've been using the stuff for about a year now.

Last edited by big whoppa; 07-13-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 04:18 PM   #14
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777

there was some recent studies lately that made alot of national news.. saying that dermatologists are now saying that the correct type of vitamin d is helpful to you and could help prevent skin cancer, and that you can get this type of vitamin d with specific doses of sun exposure

its a new study, and not widely accepted..

but it is out there
Old 07-13-05, 06:40 PM   #15
darqleo
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Proactiv Solution - Does it work?

Yep it does, I've been using it for years (I'm 31) and it's better than anything you can buy off the shelf.

"Why do they call it 'full-screen' anyway, when it's only two-thirds of the stupid movie?" Rosenstein asked. "*****ing bullsh*t aspect ratio!"
Old 07-13-05, 06:49 PM   #16
mookiemeister
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm 36 and I still get acne. I used the proactiv kit twice before. Once years ago, and then again last year. My result with proactiv is mixed. What I found is that I get better result using Oxy-10. Because I found Oxy-10 dry out my skin faster than proactiv.
We all see what we want to see. He sees hate and fear. You have to look with better eyes than that - Lindsay Brigman
My DVD Collection: DVD Profiler
Old 07-13-05, 07:34 PM   #17
milpool

I know what you're thinking, punk... You're thinkin'...Is this 10 percent benzoyl peroxide or only 5? Now, to tell you the truth, I've forgot myself in all this excitement.

But being as this is Sulfoxyl, the most powerful topical acne medication in the world, and will burn your zits clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, pizza-face?"
Old 07-13-05, 07:52 PM   #18
Puzznic
DVD Talk Special Edition

It works but you can put together a system off the store shelf for cheaper. The important thing is to get into a routine where you use the same products every day at around the same time.
Old 07-13-05, 07:59 PM   #19
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Proactiv is the same stuff you can get over the counter. Don't waste your money for this overpriced stuff.
Old 07-13-05, 08:17 PM   #20
Proximae

There is a product called Klear Action available at Walgreens that is pretty much the same thing as ProActiv but a helluva lot cheaper. It's around $20 a kit I think.

I've never used ProActiv, but this stuff seems to work for me.
Old 07-13-05, 10:00 PM   #21
DodgingCars
DVD Talk Legend

Proactive:
Renewing Cleanser = active ingredient of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
Proactiv Deep Cleansing Wash = 2% Salicylic Acid

-----------
Compare to products in retail stores:

Oxy 10 Balance Oil-Free Maximum Strength Acne Wash (10% Benzoyl Peroxide) = $4.99
Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash, Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment (2% Salicylic Acid) = $5.99

Total price for the equivalent: $11.99

And you could get it cheaper than that if you look around.
Old 07-13-05, 10:32 PM   #22
sexymama

Benzoyl Peroxide is aimed at disinfecting the face and thus preventing further breakouts; however, in a cleanser, it'll just get washed down the drain so better to get a lotion/gel with BP that you leave on the skin. Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid) exfoliates and has the ability to also exfoliate within the pore which is why it's better for blemish-prone skin than alpha hydroxy acids. The key with BHAs is for the lotion or product to have the proper pH level; otherwise it won't exfoliate (i.e., not all products are created equal).

I know some people have had success with the ProActive kit but it's basicallly a cleanser, AHA (revitalizing toner has 6% AHA at the proper pH level to exfoliate the surface layer of the skin but not inside the pores) and BP routine. Like Dodging Cars said, there are other products out there that have the same active ingredients; still, there are many products which either combine these active ingredients with other irritating agents or have the wrong pH level so choose your products carefully.

Some tips:
1. mild cleanser
2. always wear sunscreen (active ingredient should be avobenzene aka parsol 1789 or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane; avoid titanium dioxide or zinc oxide since they can clog pores; note - any sunscreen that doesn't have avobenzene or TD or ZO do NOT provide full spectrum protection against UVA/UVB)
3. use salicylic acid (a lot of the drugstore/department store products contain harsh ingredients or have too high of a pH level so they're pretty much bad for the skin since irritation can cause further breakouts so do some research before you buy)
4. disinfect with BP: start out with the lowest percentage to minimize irritation (Stridex has a new product coming out: Benzoyl Peroxide Power Pads which have 2.5% BP along with a mild cleansing agent so you can cleanse and disinfect in one step -- apparently there's no need to rinse after using the pad unless you have extremely oilly skin or wear makeup which I assume you don't although these days you never know... )

If you want some products to try, I can look through some old research I did... just let me know...
Old 07-13-05, 10:33 PM   #23
RaraFemina
DVD Talk Special Edition

i suggest going to a dermatologist. I have tried damn near every over the counter acne treatment and didn't get the results I wanted. I finally made an appt. with my doc. and he gave me Differin Gel. It has made such a difference. I rarely break out even when it's "that time of the month".
Old 07-14-05, 12:36 AM   #24
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

i've used all types of topical and prescription, including differin and some antibiotic that a dermitologist gave me. Didn't really help much. Luckily the acne has subsided substantially (I'm 24 now). I don't use any acne medication right now, but i do use the neutrogena acne wash, and try to wash my face at least 3 times throughout the day.

oh, and some acne medication would dry out my skin so much, my whole face was flakey.