Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-23-05, 02:48 PM   #1
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cat owners: How do you keep your house clean?

I never had cats growing up. Until last year, when I moved in with my girlfriend, I pretty much hated cats all together. Anyhow, fast forward a year and I can't imagine life without our cat. It's like a dog only you don't have to take it outside and it doesn't beg for food! What a concept.

Anyhow, my only issue with the cat now is that it sheds on everything. My couch is covered in cat hair, cat hair is hiding behind the furniture, tv, stereo, etc. We are both really clean people and we clean a lot but we can't stay on top of the cat hair. We are about to move into a new house and I don't think I can stand the hair (and I know my allergies can't). So, my question is:

How do you cat owners keep everything so damn clean? Are there tricks? Products to buy?

I've known plenty of people who owned cats and there houses seem clean. How do they do it? Are they cleaning pretty much non-stop?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(No, we're not going to kill it or drop it in the country like kvr. )
Old 06-23-05, 02:51 PM   #2
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lets see. Brush the cat often so you can catch the hair before it gets spread throughout the house. Vacuum every few days, and buy a bunch of those sticky roller things for clothes. That seems to work for me.
Old 06-23-05, 02:54 PM   #3
uberjoe
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tape a bag to her ass to collect any droppings, and saran wrap the rest of her to stop any shedding. A straw in the mouth works for eating and breathing.
Old 06-23-05, 02:56 PM   #4
Feneant
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Clean? My house is like perma dirty with cat hair, you just get used to it.
Old 06-23-05, 02:57 PM   #5
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

noonan has it down. Brush the cat (they usually really enjoy it). Vacuum at least weekly, and be sure to use the upholstery attachment and do the furniture especially where they tend to sit. As I have mild cat allergies, we don't allow them into the bedroom and that seems to help ALOT with hair on clothes and such.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 06-23-05, 02:58 PM   #6
Giles

I was just in a house for sale that simply reeked of cat urine in the basement - it was insanely foul - good luck selling that house
Old 06-23-05, 03:35 PM   #7
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles
I was just in a house for sale that simply reeked of cat urine in the basement - it was insanely foul - good luck selling that house
Well, to be fair, most cats don't just piss anywhere.

Now me on the other hand...
Old 06-23-05, 03:59 PM   #8
Li

I know your pain. We have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a ferret (who just smells really bad). I don't know if it's the dogs or the cats that shed the worst, but it's probably a combination of the 4.
Old 06-23-05, 04:20 PM   #9
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Vacuum and brushing - unless it's some crazy long hair you shouldn't have much of a problem.
Old 06-23-05, 04:41 PM   #10
Jalizarin

We have two cats. Oldest son cleans the inside and outdoor (on screened in porch) litter boxes every night. I vacuum every night, including couch and chairs... c'mon, it's not that hard, and if you do it every night, it takes no time at all! And I use Renuzit citrus fabric spray on the drapes and furniture every couple of days. Oh yeah, and I dust the wood stuff every few days too.

House doesn't smell like cats even live there.
Old 06-23-05, 04:54 PM   #11
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Burn the cats with acid, so their hair won't grow anymore.

Seriously, I take one of my cats outdoors every day or two and brush her good. She really likes being brushed. I also wipe her hiney once in a while with a wet nap, just to get rid of the dingleberries. She likes that even more. My other cat will not go outside at all. If I'm holding her and someone opens the front door, I need a transfusion.

Vacuum every day. If you have carpeted stairs, don't forget those. The worst buildup of cat hair for me is on the vertical blinds, since the cats rub against them when they jump up to look out the window. The adhesive roller is an absolute MUST for cat owners.

Just keep up on it, and it won't be a problem.
Old 06-23-05, 04:59 PM   #12
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjoe
I tape a bag to her ass to collect any droppings, and saran wrap the rest of her to stop any shedding. A straw in the mouth works for eating and breathing.
Saran wrap? Rookie.

"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 06-23-05, 06:39 PM   #13
Pressplay
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a cat with hairs that match your furniture.
"Hello, fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot..." - What? - "Taxes, they'll be lower...son. The democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadelphia, so do."
Old 06-23-05, 07:27 PM   #14
Jadzia

I love my Dyson.
Old 06-23-05, 08:10 PM   #15
johnglass
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm seriously considering one of these for my next cat. Anyone have experience with them? Personalities, etc?

Old 06-23-05, 08:31 PM   #16
elektra
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First, I find wooden floors easier to clean and keep clean with cats. The less rugs the better. As you notice dust and hair start to build up, usually every three to four days, clean, it goes faster when you keep up. Brush them I would say at least every other day. I got this nice device from my vet because Lily is thick furred. It's a wooden handle with two rolls of thick metal rods like nails, but rounded ends. She actually likes to be brushed now and purrs the whole time. The nails don't give against the thick fur and gets the mini mats and loose dead fur off of her. And because they are not sharp, the don't hurt her skin.

Good luck and I'm glad you don't hate cats any more. What exactly changed your mind? Did you find you has misconceptions, or had not yet met a cat that you liked?
Old 06-23-05, 08:37 PM   #17
Kittydreamer
DVD Talk Legend

That's what husbands are for.
Old 06-23-05, 10:39 PM   #18
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
That's what husbands are for.
Thats what kids are for!

Home Theater Build
Old 06-24-05, 12:57 AM   #19
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia

I love my Dyson.
Prior to the arrival of our first child, we bought our own "Animal."

Don't know what we did without it.
Old 06-24-05, 01:03 AM   #20
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Cat poison.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 06-24-05, 01:34 AM   #21
naughty jonny
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brush the cat. Vacuum. That should get rid of 90% of the cat hair. The other 10%, you just live with.

Incidently, what do you mean that cats don't beg for food? Ours never shut up until you feed them.
Old 06-24-05, 05:37 AM   #22
elektra
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

naughty jonny - no kidding. Gateway gets awful nosy when I am making a sandwich.
Old 06-24-05, 08:38 AM   #23
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty jonny

Incidently, what do you mean that cats don't beg for food? Ours never shut up until you feed them.
Same with one of mine. She's always begging for treats and table food. Not so much begging as demanding. If we're having dinner and she thinks she's being ignored, she will jump on the table.

The other cat won't eat table food. When she was a kitten, we gave her a small piece of chicken and she nearly choked, so she refuses it now.
Old 06-24-05, 08:45 AM   #24
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra
First, I find wooden floors easier to clean and keep clean with cats. The less rugs the better. As you notice dust and hair start to build up, usually every three to four days, clean, it goes faster when you keep up. Brush them I would say at least every other day. I got this nice device from my vet because Lily is thick furred. It's a wooden handle with two rolls of thick metal rods like nails, but rounded ends. She actually likes to be brushed now and purrs the whole time. The nails don't give against the thick fur and gets the mini mats and loose dead fur off of her. And because they are not sharp, the don't hurt her skin.

Good luck and I'm glad you don't hate cats any more. What exactly changed your mind? Did you find you has misconceptions, or had not yet met a cat that you liked?
All wood floors in the new house.

Grew up with dogs. Never really knew what cats were like until this year. Now I love'em.
Old 06-24-05, 09:47 AM   #25
Jadzia

We just moved from a house with all wood floors to a house with all berber carpet. I am actually finding the carpet easier to keep clean. With the wood, the cat hair would be all over the house, like litttle tumbleweeds everywhere. But the carpet seems to trap the hair until you vacuum it up. It no longer seems like we have cat hair floating in the air.
Sponsored Links