DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-06-05, 03:26 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

I just never enjoyed talk radio, so a bunch of individual 30minute or 60minute amateur talk shows sounds tedius. I love my ipod, but it's for carrying my music catalog around with me. Maybe I'll change?
Old 07-06-05, 06:43 PM   #27
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamblast
I just never enjoyed talk radio, so a bunch of individual 30minute or 60minute amateur talk shows sounds tedius. I love my ipod, but it's for carrying my music catalog around with me. Maybe I'll change?
I actually listen to a lot of sports talk radio (the only stations I get at work) and my mp3's (but despite having about 15 gigs of music, you get tired of that too), so I'll listen to podcast to break things up.

Mostly entertainments stuff....DVDTalkRadio is pretty damn good, as is Cinecast.
I was a hardcore watcher of Tech TV in the old days, so thanks to those who made me aware of TWIT.
Old 07-08-05, 02:59 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Z100 Phone Tap - The best thing since I got the iPod.
War of the Roses
Baltbusters
Old 07-08-05, 03:02 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Just for cross-reference purposes (it's too specific to be a dupe thread), here's a link to a TV Talk thread on audio commentary podcasts being released for shows like Las Vegas and Battlestar Galactica. Kinda neat, though I haven't done it yet myself:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=podcast
Old 12-09-05, 09:36 AM   #30
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I got my shiny new iPod, I've been really into certain podcasts (yes, I know you don't need an iPod to listen to them, but iTunes makes it really easy to get the damn things). In my current rotation:

DVDTalk Radio
Cinecast/Cinecast AV
Tiki Bar TV
WhiskyCast
Ebert & Roeper
Vegas in 5/Vegas Minute
KCRW Martini Shot
Distorted View
FOXCAST: Family Guy
Meet the Press
Free Talk Live

Some of the above I found due to this board, so thanks for the recommendations. And since it's been a few months since the last post, I wonder if any other good podcasts have sprung up lately.

What I'd really like to find is one that caters to the tin foil hat crowd (conspiracy theorists and paranormal buffs), similar to Art Bell's radio show (Coast to Coast AM). I find that hilarious to listen to, as the callers take the topics waaaaaay too seriously. Unfortunately, the show is on too late for me to listen to regularly and he charges for his podcasts, so I'd like to find a free alternative.

In other news:

Quote:
Dictionary pegs 'podcast' as Word of the Year
Last Updated Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:01:07 EST
CBC Arts
The techie term "podcast" has hit a tipping point, set to join the New Oxford American Dictionary through its online update in early 2006.

The Oxford editors hailed "podcast" as their Word of the Year, defining it as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player."

The techie term "podcast" is the New Oxford American Dictionary's "Word of the Year." Runners-up for Word of the Year included "bird flu" (often fatal flu virus of birds that is transmissible from them to humans), "sudoku" (the logic-based numbers puzzle), "trans fat" (dietary fat containing unhealthy trans-fatty acids) and "reggaeton" (Latin American music style incorporating reggae, hip-hop and rap).

"Choosing the word of the year is incredibly difficult," the dictionary's editor-in-chief Erin McKean said in a statement, "not just because of the enormous amount of data we look at – everything from blogs to technical journals to [e-mail] suggestions – but because everyone has such strong opinions about what makes a word Word of the Year material."

McKean said that editors had considered "podcast" last year but felt that not enough people were using the relatively new technology or were familiar enough with the concept.

This year, however, "it's a completely different story," she said. "The word has finally caught up with the rest of the iPod phenomenon."

Originating from a combination of "broadcasting" and "iPod", podcasts have become ubiquitous on the internet and are increasingly seen as noteworthy challengers to conventional radio broadcasting.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...ry-051207.html
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 12-09-05, 10:02 AM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
They're another idiot terms the bloggers have invented. Like when they came up for "blog" when it meant "webpage" --- now "mp3 file of people talking" is suddenly a "podcast". I wish people would stop inventing new words for things that can be perfectly explained already (especially in regards to technology which already had a name before you decided to start using it, like now people won't call them DVDs, just "diveos" or "bigvobs").
Yeah, really. What's with this "newspaper" thing? They're just skinny books that are about current events. Or, wait, have you heard this one? "Television"? Just a fancy word for "radio with pictures".
Old 12-09-05, 04:37 PM   #32

I love TWiT and Diggnation
Old 12-09-05, 05:30 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

I love Cinecast. I'd also recommend both KCRW's "The Business" and "The Treatment" - both great!
Old 12-09-05, 05:38 PM   #34
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ones I listen to regularly are:

FiveHundyByMidnight - The Original Las Vegas Podcast
Card Club - Lord Admiral Radio (Poker Related)
Poker Diagrams
This Week In Tech
Old 12-09-05, 06:26 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLinus

What I'd really like to find is one that caters to the tin foil hat crowd (conspiracy theorists and paranormal buffs), similar to Art Bell's radio show (Coast to Coast AM). I find that hilarious to listen to, as the callers take the topics waaaaaay too seriously. Unfortunately, the show is on too late for me to listen to regularly and he charges for his podcasts, so I'd like to find a free alternative.

In other news:

Try this link for Dreamland with Whitley Streiber.
Old 12-09-05, 07:06 PM   #36
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
DVDTalk Radio and CineSchlock-O-Rama's Schlockcast of course.
Me too.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-10-05, 12:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Give Hometown Tales a try, it's excellent. The hosts are skeptical of the tin foil hat crowd (as they put it, for them it's all about the story itself and they couldn't care less whether there is truth or not), but they cover a lot of that type of stuff.
Old 12-10-05, 01:25 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

thought i would link this thread up.

Movie Interview Podcast?

and one of my all time favorites

Great Sergio Leone radio interview on NPR

I think the major thing is that you can listen to non stop talk on YOUR favorite stuff...Comic book radio shows? that was unheard of...now you can listen to hours worth if you want....plus you don't have to sit through car dealership commercial and static radio.
HD-DVD Supporter
Old 12-10-05, 07:37 PM   #39
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always enjoyed Phil Hendrie's show (started listening when he was here in South Florida...now in California somewhere). His website is over here, I listen to him when I can in my car or online at 610 WIOD's site weekdays from 10 pm til 1 am. Phil's site has podcasting, but I believe it costs some $$. However, the man truly cracks me up. I wish I had heard this hour of his show:

Hour 3: Margaret Grey is with the Women's Resolution Center. She comes on to explain that domestic violence in this country would decrease if women learned how to take a punch. Women's Resource trainer Jim McDougal joins her and Margaret insists he hit her square on the chin.

For those who don't know Hendrie's schtick, I almost don't want to explain it, but for those dying to know:
Spoiler:
He's the host (of course) and then he'll be the "special guest" who says things that will piss people off, like the bit above with Margaret Grey. Then a real person will call in not having a clue what the reality of the situation is.

My collection...more than I thought I'd ever have! (full collection not yet entered)
Old 12-10-05, 09:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
It seems all the old Screen Savers hosts are getting their own podcasts. Based on the offhand comment that Kevin hasn't even watched Attack of the Show yet (and the tone used), I have to wonder what the true story is behind his leaving.
Kevin hosted the show! Maybe he was saying he hasn't watched it sense he left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran
It's a fancy way of saying recordings of people talking. I think the best comparison would be specialized talk radio shows that don't do call-ins.
Actually, the term 'technically' means the combination of delivering audio files using syndication (RSS, Atom, OPML feeds, etc.). Just an MP3 radio show on a web site, would not be a podcast. But I certainly agree with the tech crowd stupidly overblowing silly words (I'm looking at you Web 2.0).

And put down another vote for Diggnation. Fun show.
Old 12-11-05, 01:34 AM   #41
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only one I listen to at the moment is fly fish radio. Great info if you are into flyfishing.
Old 12-25-05, 11:52 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Thought I would bring this old thread back a bit to list some of my favorites. I am a big fan of podcasting and glad to see its still growing and improving. When I started downloading a few podcasts last summer I thought it was something that might fizzle out after a few months but thankfully its turned into a great new form of public radio with tons of great specific content that could never get on the normal radio dial.

1) Ricky Gervais Show
2) This Week in Tech
3) Science Friday
4) PodQuiz
5) Slacker Astronomy
6) Radio Adventures of Dr Floyd
7) Buzz Out Loud From CNET
8) Diggnation
9) Ebert and Roeper
10) Mostly Trivial
Old 01-22-06, 12:37 PM   #43
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ipods have this neat feature that can track if you listened to podcast or not. Does any other mp3 player have this feature.

Is there something else besides itunes to track and download podcast?
Old 01-22-06, 05:05 PM   #44
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Geek Fu Action Grio (wanna be writer reads witty essays she's done)
Where can I find that one? Did a Google search for it, but no luck.
Old 01-22-06, 05:49 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TWIT.

I also subscribe to:
Diggnation
CAGCast (from cheapassgamer.com)
Andy Rooney
Fly With Me
and NPR Story of the Day
Old 01-26-06, 01:11 PM   #46

Favorite Podcasts

Beyond Science
Mysterious Universe
Hollywood Saloon

Not always slick and professional, but always enjoyable. I especially enjoy Mysterious Universe (from Australia).
Old 01-26-06, 03:49 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Lately, it's been TWiT, Diggnation, Inside the Net, CAGCast, Gamespot, and ExtremeTech on the ol' iPod.

I tried listening to one of the Harry Potter "Mugglecasts" a while ago, but I realized it was 5 grown men sitting around a table discussing Harry Potter and talking about the characters as if they were their friends.- even though I like the books, that seemed really strange to me.
Old 01-27-06, 10:05 AM   #48
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow love these podcast stuff.

Here is what I'm into
1. Comic Geek Speak
all about comic books. Had some great interviews.

2. Diggnation
A tech show

3. The official Lost podcast
commentary on lost episodes. I think this are setup with the same running time as the show. They often talk about what is going on but you can not see it.

4. Open source sex
What do you think

5. Battlestar Galatica
same as lost

6. Ebert and Reoper

7. Democracy Now

8. TWIT

9. NPR

10. Gamespot
Hate their intro but the info they have is pretty good.

I have a few others but don't know if I will keep them.

I'm using Juice Receiver which is great and my mp3 player has the ability to bookmark stuff I never lose my place.
Old 02-02-06, 04:58 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

There are some really funny video podcasts out there as well. Tiki Bar TV and Ask a Ninja are pretty good. Ask a French Maid is a bit strange, but it is hot girls in French Maid outfits so why not. Buzz Report is another good short video podcast with good tech news and of course Diggnation's video podcast is still one of the best.

My new favorite audio podcast is Point of Inquiry. Great podcast with excellent expert guests talking about things like the Evolution debate, Dubunking of psychics and the supernatural and other skeptical issues.
Old 02-02-06, 05:00 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
My new favorite audio podcast is Point of Inquiry. Great podcast with excellent expert guests talking about things like the Evolution debate, Dubunking of psychics and the supernatural and other skeptical issues.
Oooh like Bullshit, only a podcast? Cool.