DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-17, 06:42 AM   #276
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: What is your favorite podcast?

As a comic book fan, I've found that I enjoy pretty much every show on the Fire and Water Network. The recently completed Secret Origins podcast, an index show of the DC series of the late 80s, was near perfection: guests on every episode, lively feedback, great production values.
Old 03-14-17, 07:28 AM   #277
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I've been enjoying Movie Sign with Mads lately. It's Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu from Mystery Science Theater 3000 talking about a mix of new and classic movies. But mostly they talk about The Godfather.
Old 03-14-17, 07:46 AM   #278
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm currently listening to...

The Ringer NFL show
Can He Do That?
Pod Save America
1947: The MTP Podcast
The Tony Kornheiser SHow.
The Bill Simmons Podcast
Wait Wait...Don't tell me

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 03-14-17, 08:13 AM   #279
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sleep With Me podcast.

I often have problems sleeping and I was doubtful this podcast would really help, but it really does.
It's just a guy rambling about things, but the tone of his voice and how pointless the talks are, end up knocking me out.
Old 03-14-17, 11:19 AM   #280
DVD Talk Legend

A few current favorites:

Pardon My Take -- Sports pod that doesn't take itself too seriously. Very funny.

On The Media -- Current events that mainly explores how the media covers certain topics and tries to give a partial view of it by offering up varying opinions.

Hidden Brain - NPR podcast that "reveals unconscious patterns that drive human behavior". It covers a lot of interesting current even topics like On The Media does.

Generation Why -- True crime podcast that tries to give opinions on unsolved crimes or crimes that have been solved but may not have been done correctly. If you liked Serial this is right up your alley. They don't go too in depth about any case (the episodes are an hour long) but they do a good job of remaining unbiased.

Sword and Scale -- Also true crime but focuses more on the mind of the criminal. It gets pretty fucked up.

How Did This Get Made? -- Hilarious podcast hosted by Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas (to fans of The League -- it's hosted by Andre and Raffi). They break down really awful movies and rip on them for an hour. It's great but the problem is that the movies they cover are really B-level. They should do more big movies that plain suck. Alas, listen to the Con Air episode and you'll love it.

Freakanomics Radio -- If you know and like the book you'll enjoy the podcast.

99% Invisible -- Very interesting idea for a podcast. Each episode takes a random topic and goes into detail on it for 20-30 minutes. For example: They did a whole episode on where those standard dollar store items are made and another on the history of the NBC chimes. It's random enough that I can't get into every episode but you're guaranteed to find episodes where they cover something you'd find interesting.

The Black Tapes -- I don't want to give too much away for those that don't know about it. It's basically about the host, Alex and her diving headfirst into the world of ghost hunting and it taking her down a strange path. It's great if you like creepy stories.

Dunkumentaries -- An old one that's only 5 total episodes. If you're a basketball fan, it's a great listen. It's about "dunks that changed everything". The first episode is by far the best as it goes into the history of basketball and why there was a need for a 3 point shot. They also did an episode on Dee Brown wearing Reebok Pumps at the NBA Slam Dunk Contest and another on how Vince Carter made basketball popular in Toronto.
Old 03-14-17, 11:43 PM   #281
DVD Talk Legend

I recently changed phones and lost a bunch of podcasts I used to follow. I also changed podcast apps because I was getting irritated with a glitch in the standard iPhone podcast app ... When I did that I shuffled my standards a little bit.

Now Playing - The Movie Review Podcast -- Very entertaining movie review podcast. They do a mix of current films and "retrospectives" though they tend to focus on series of films. A few of the hosts are from this area (and my generation) so I relate to them. They also have a "sister-cast" Books and Nachos which ties written material (books and comic books) to the movies they are reviewing.

How Did This Get Made -- already mentioned. I binged episodes for awhile, so I don't know if I burned out or if they have gotten down to movies I don't care about. I skip the "prequel" episodes (Paul Scheer talking about the previous and next weeks' shows).

Science Fiction Film Podcast -- another decent movie podcast focusing on classic and current sci-fi (not exclusively though). They have taken to doing longer episodes where the middle of the show gets bogged down, but the hosts are usually fun.

The /Filmcast -- movies, tv, video games. Great hosts.

Freakonomics -- seems to have lost some of its flair, but I still enjoy it.

Tell Me Something I Don't Know -- from Freakonomics' Stephen Dubner, a semi-game show with audience participation and different topics each week.

Good Job Brain! -- trivia based show that is lots of fun. They went "off the air" for awhile and I almost deleted it. Glad I didn't as they came back recently.

Planet Money -- NPR show on anything having to do with money. Episodes usually run around 20 minutes.

Watching Dead -- Bald Move podcast where the hosts aren't afraid to trash The Walking Dead.

Legion -- joint effort from the Bald Move guys and another "network". Not sure that I like the extra host, but the show gives good commentary on Legion.

The Daily, On the Media, and Pod Save America -- all good current events shows which were already mentioned.

I have a bunch that I need to go back and pick up.

If you are looking for a good "theatrical performance" podcast, check out "We're Alive". It's a zombie show that ran about 50 episodes (20-30 minutes each) and then had a 6-part follow up.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 03-15-17, 12:30 AM   #282
DVD Talk Special Edition

Podcasts I listen to on a regular basis:
Giant Bombcast
Women of the Hour with Lena Dunham

Basketball ones:
The Lowe Post
The Vertical Podcast with Woj
The Vertical Podcast with Chris Mannix
The Vertical Podcast with JJ Redick
Old 03-15-17, 09:22 AM   #283
DVD Talk Legend

Dang. I'm not really into podcasts. Maybe I need to get on board. I like Marc Maron and have listened to probably half of his. Have listened to a few Smodcast episodes. And ... I think that's it.
Old 03-18-17, 10:01 PM   #284
DVD Talk Legend

Goat -- damn you and thank you for The Black Tapes. I ended up burning through the first six episodes in the car on Thursday. When it started in Central Illinois I was hooked.

I was amazed at the "Serial" knock-off nature of it. As it goes on, the acting gets worse by extras, but it's very solid early on. I'm up to Episode 8 now ... While I wish some of the cases would get more focus or some resolution, I understand the Strand case has become the focus.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 03-19-17, 09:42 AM   #285
DVD Talk Hero

I like the Song Exploder podcast.

They get all kinds of musicians, some of them pretty big names, to talk about the recording process for their songs.
Old 03-19-17, 10:59 AM   #286
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been all about the Adventure Zone recently. It is a rpg play podcast by the guys from My Brother My Brother and Me - and it is super funny,
Old 03-20-17, 05:49 PM   #287
DVD Talk Legend

I just got into The Adventure Zone about 6 months ago and so it was great going through their back catalog. Having to wait 2 weeks between episodes has really put a damper on my enthusiasm and I'm at least a couple episodes behind now.

Most of my others have already been mentioned: How Did This Get Made?, Comedy Bang Bang, Freakonomics. Freakonomics is another one I only recently got into and it has a great back catalog, and unlike TAZ you can pick and choose only the episodes you are interested in.

If you like How Did This Get Made? then The Flop House is similar, though not as good IMO. It's not quite as laser focused on comedy as HDTGM, even they they are cracking jokes as you would expect given the garbage they often review. I'll listen to HDTGM even if I have no intention of watching the movie, where as I only check out Flop House episodes for movies I've seen or am curious about.

Oh, and I've also gotten back into Tell'em Steve Dave after nearly a year break. I don't know if I can recommend it as a new listener, because I'm really not sure how approachable it is as a new listener.
Old 03-20-17, 07:35 PM   #288
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Dan Savage's Savage Lovecast is pretty great. He doesn't hold back on his relationship advise, and he's very entertaining.
Old 03-20-17, 08:48 PM   #289
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched a Battlestar Galactica podcast once during the show's run sometime between '03 and '09, I'd have to say it's my favorite podcast since it's the only one I've ever seen...

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 03-21-17, 08:47 AM   #290

I'm a big West Wing Weekly fan.
Old 03-21-17, 08:49 AM   #291
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
I'm a big West Wing Weekly fan.
What is that?

For politics I have been listening to the Can He Do That? podcast about Trump that the Washington Post does.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Live gamertag: xmiyux
Old 03-21-17, 09:22 AM   #292
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Goat -- damn you and thank you for The Black Tapes. I ended up burning through the first six episodes in the car on Thursday. When it started in Central Illinois I was hooked.

I was amazed at the "Serial" knock-off nature of it. As it goes on, the acting gets worse by extras, but it's very solid early on. I'm up to Episode 8 now ... While I wish some of the cases would get more focus or some resolution, I understand the Strand case has become the focus.
Glad you like it

Spoiler:
I'm sure you're all done with at least the first season by now.
Towards the end all the stories kind of tie together, which I found great. And I agree about the extras voice acting. They did a great job of initially making all this seem real. Despite having creepy ghost stories, everything was presented in a "real" way. The Dr. Strand character really keeps the whole thing grounded. Alas, the bad voice acting from the lesser characters kind of ruins it.

I'm eagerly waiting for season 3 but it doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.
Old 03-21-17, 11:35 PM   #293
DVD Talk Legend

^ I will likely wrap up Season 2 tomorrow. I have 2 or 3 episodes left.

Not sure if I am liking how "everything" is tying back together, but I will hold off judging until I am done.

Have you tried Tanis?

Old 03-22-17, 08:20 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
What is that?

For politics I have been listening to the Can He Do That? podcast about Trump that the Washington Post does.
It's super geeky... but it's an episode by episode podcast about the TV show The West Wing. Co-Hosted by Josh Malina. They get a lot of cast/crew interviews as well (including Sorkin).
Old 03-22-17, 08:27 AM   #295
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
It's super geeky... but it's an episode by episode podcast about the TV show The West Wing. Co-Hosted by Josh Malina. They get a lot of cast/crew interviews as well (including Sorkin).
<3

I love the West Wing. I will have to check it out.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Old 03-22-17, 08:47 AM   #296
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
^ I will likely wrap up Season 2 tomorrow. I have 2 or 3 episodes left.

Not sure if I am liking how "everything" is tying back together, but I will hold off judging until I am done.

Have you tried Tanis?
Hopefully by the time you're done you'll end up enjoying it but I do have some gripes with it as well. Mainly, I think this would have been better served as a procedural, with each episode being Alex and Strand diving into a Black Tape but I still enjoy it plenty as it is.

I did try Tanis but I didn't stick with it. For some reason, the hosts voice drives me nuts. I can deal with it in short bursts on The Black Tapes but don't want to listen to him for an hour at a time. Though if I start hearing good things I'll give it a fair shot.
Old 03-22-17, 12:32 PM   #297
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm currently binging the Missing Richard Simmons podcast.. good stuff..
Old 03-22-17, 01:37 PM   #298
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Casefile True Crime. Have not found a crime one better.
Old 03-22-17, 01:53 PM   #299
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife flipped over Crimetown.

Old 03-24-17, 01:51 AM   #300
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Casefile True Crime. Have not found a crime one better.
I couldn't find that on iPhones podcast app.
Same with Crimetown