Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-19-05, 02:16 PM   #1
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nag's Head N.C. Where to fish/crab and where to buy seafood/crab

So I'm off to the Outer Banks the end of May (Staying near marker 16 on the beach) with a group of friends. I haven't been there in a long time and want to try some surf fishing and crabbing. Upon failure of these activities I want to buy some good seafood (cheaper the better of course) and drown my sorrows in crabs legs and butter. There are a lot of webpages for OBX out there, but they are very informative it seems. So back here to what I know My questions are:

1. Is it true I don't need a fishing license to surf fish off the beach? I'm thinking of just buying a cheap surf rod at Walmart for the trip. Any help on bait and what to fish for?

2. Where can I crab? Are they big enough to eat? How many can I take? Is the trusty old chicken bone on a rope ok for bait?

3. For my later recovery of dinner...where can I get crab, oysters, etc, etc at a good price and reasonable quality? Can I buy from boats in the marina?

Of course, the closer to where I'm staying..the better.

As for my experience for the fishing part:

- I have caught some crabs just for fun in Myrtle Beach off the pier before.
- I have been surf fishing maybe once.
- I have a 4wd vehicle if needed and would actually get a kick out of going on the beach with it.
- I am a VERY experienced fisher of freshwater fish like bass and trout with spincasting and fly rods.
- I have been deep sea fishing a number of times.

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 04-19-05, 02:21 PM   #2
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

I have never heard of the fishing liscence (I have a house in Duck). Mako Mike's is supposed to be popular. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 04-19-05, 06:41 PM   #3
Dimension X
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't been to the Outer Banks for a few years, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeden
1. Is it true I don't need a fishing license to surf fish off the beach? I'm thinking of just buying a cheap surf rod at Walmart for the trip. Any help on bait and what to fish for?
You don't need a fishing license. It's probably best to walk or drive down the beach and find someone who is actually catching something and ask them what they're catching and what they're using for bait.
Quote:
2. Where can I crab? Are they big enough to eat? How many can I take? Is the trusty old chicken bone on a rope ok for bait?
Never tried crabbing, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone else do it there.
Quote:
3. For my later recovery of dinner...where can I get crab, oysters, etc, etc at a good price and reasonable quality? Can I buy from boats in the marina?

Of course, the closer to where I'm staying..the better.
It depends on what you consider a "good price." Most of the places I've eaten at tended to be on the expensive side (as in any tourist area). The Dunes Restaurant, near MP16 (on the bypass), used to have really good seafood and they piled a lot of it on the plates.

Sorry, I was hoping to recommend a couple other places, but I can't remember their names and I can't find them online.

If you're looking to buy fresh seafood to cook yourself, there are some seafood shops in Nag's Head/Kill Devil Hills (check the yellow pages), which would save you the drive to Wanchese (where most of the commercial boats dock).
Quote:
- I have a 4wd vehicle if needed and would actually get a kick out of going on the beach with it.
Oregon Inlet is the closest 4X4 accessible beach to where you'll be staying. Head south on 12. Drive past the Bodie Island lighthouse, then, just before you reach the Bonner Bridge, you'll see the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center on your right and a beach access for Oregon Inlet on your left.

If you continue over the bridge and drive for a while, you'll pass some access ramps here and there. I think this link may have better directions than those I gave.

Have fun!

Edit: Speaking of the Bonner Bridge, you can try fishing (and maybe crabbing, if you have a long enough rope) off of it. Just cross over to the south side of the bridge and park in the lot on the left, and you can walk out onto the bridge.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-19-05 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 08:36 AM   #4
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I haven't been to the Outer Banks for a few years, but I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

You don't need a fishing license. It's probably best to walk or drive down the beach and find someone who is actually catching something and ask them what they're catching and what they're using for bait.

Never tried crabbing, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone else do it there.

It depends on what you consider a "good price." Most of the places I've eaten at tended to be on the expensive side (as in any tourist area). The Dunes Restaurant, near MP16 (on the bypass), used to have really good seafood and they piled a lot of it on the plates.

Sorry, I was hoping to recommend a couple other places, but I can't remember their names and I can't find them online.

If you're looking to buy fresh seafood to cook yourself, there are some seafood shops in Nag's Head/Kill Devil Hills (check the yellow pages), which would save you the drive to Wanchese (where most of the commercial boats dock).

Oregon Inlet is the closest 4X4 accessible beach to where you'll be staying. Head south on 12. Drive past the Bodie Island lighthouse, then, just before you reach the Bonner Bridge, you'll see the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center on your right and a beach access for Oregon Inlet on your left.

If you continue over the bridge and drive for a while, you'll pass some access ramps here and there. I think this link may have better directions than those I gave.

Have fun!

Edit: Speaking of the Bonner Bridge, you can try fishing (and maybe crabbing, if you have a long enough rope) off of it. Just cross over to the south side of the bridge and park in the lot on the left, and you can walk out onto the bridge.
Thanks for the help!! I'll be there a few days so I'll have a little time to figure stuff out.
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 AM   #5
Dimension X
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If any of your friends have 4X4s, make sure they drive them too. It's more fun to caravan, and you don't want to have to all crowd into one vehicle (along with the fishing equipment, coolers, beach chairs, etc.). Besides, you may need someone to pull you out of the sand if you get stuck.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-20-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 03:37 PM   #6
Jeeden
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension X
If any of your friends have 4X4s, make sure they drive them too. It's more fun to caravan, and you don't want to have to all crowd into one vehicle (along with the fishing equipment, coolers, beach chairs, etc.). Besides, you may need someone to pull you out of the sand if you get stuck.
yea, I have heard of some real horror stories of people getting stuck...and then the tide coming in...