Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-11-05, 01:06 PM   #1
Neuman

Can you take Allegra D with Nyquil?

Anyone? I'm (hopefully, if this snow lets up) going to Europe tonight. My doctor said since I have a bad cold... or the beginning stages of bronchitis, and I'll be in a lot of pain in high altitudes unless I take Allegra-D. Can I take NyQuil at the same time so I can sleep on the plane? I probably won't be able to fall asleep otherwise. Thanks!
Old 01-11-05, 01:08 PM   #2
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call the pharmacists.
Old 01-11-05, 01:09 PM   #3
Groucho

If I drink Nyquil the blue meanies come out. I can just imagine what mixing Allegra D in there would do.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 01-11-05, 01:10 PM   #4
j123vt_99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

should be okay, but definitely don't get medical advice from a bunch of idiots on the internet

sometimes all it takes is a slammin' hottie to make you dig down deep and discover who you really are - Scrubs
Old 01-11-05, 01:12 PM   #5
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

I'd chase it with a trazadone and a few phozodrans. don't forget to chase it with whiskey
Old 01-11-05, 01:21 PM   #6
aerobson

There's several versions of Nyquil. What type do you have/want? Allegra-D is a combination antihistimine/decongestant. You should not take any other medications that have ingredients that are also antihistimines or decongestants. I doubt Nyquil has a decongestant version, but I'm sure there is antihistmines in several of there varieties. Over the counter sleeping medicines are mainly some form of antihistimine. The reason for having prescription Allegra-D is because (for most) it specifically does NOT cause drowsiness (which most people do not want on a daily basis). If you want to sleep, skip the Allegra-D for the day of your trip and just use the Nyquil. You could start taking the Allegra-D again the next day. DISCLAIMER: This info is from a former pharmacy technician. I've answered similar questions of patients many times, but I am not a physician. Always do what your doctor ordered.

Edit: Quick online research shows me that all of the Nyquil and Dayquil brands have either an anithistimine or decongestant. You shouldn't take them at the same time that you are taking Allegra-D.

Last edited by aerobson; 01-11-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 01:25 PM   #7
Otto
Banned

-Allegra D is basically Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine.
-DayQuil is basically Nyquil with Pseudoephedrine in it to counter the drowsiness.

So what I'm saying is that if you take some Allegra D, don't count on sleeping, as it'll probably be pretty unlikely. The pseudoephedrine will probably keep you awake, NyQuil or not.

But it should be safe enough, since they sell basically the same stuff and call it DayQuil.
Old 01-11-05, 01:27 PM   #8
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
definitely don't get medical advice from a bunch of idiots on the internet
For some reason, a post like this always seems to follow mine in these kinds of threads.
Old 01-11-05, 01:31 PM   #9
aerobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
-Allegra D is basically Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine.
-DayQuil is basically Nyquil with Pseudoephedrine in it to counter the drowsiness.

So what I'm saying is that if you take some Allegra D, don't count on sleeping, as it'll probably be pretty unlikely. The pseudoephedrine will probably keep you awake, NyQuil or not.

But it should be safe enough, since they sell basically the same stuff and call it DayQuil.
Sorry Otto, I was posting my edit at the same time you posted. I don't agree with you. He should not take the Allegra-D and Nyquil/Dayquil at the same time. It would be doubling up on the same type of medication. Plus, you are right about the psuedophedrine. It can cause restlessness and increase heart-rate, so it should definitely not be doubled if he wants to sleep.
Old 01-11-05, 01:33 PM   #10
Neuman

Thanks guys, I guess I'll stick with the Allegra-D and just deal with not sleeping.