Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-04, 02:55 PM   #1
mrpayroll

Report: DCF Workers Missed Signs Of Abuse Of Starved 10 yr Old Girl who weighed 29 lb

http://www.local6.com/news/3679389/d...108252004&ts=H

10-Year-Old Weighed 29 Pounds When Removed From Home

POSTED: 8:12 am EDT August 25, 2004
UPDATED: 8:13 am EDT August 25, 2004

BROOKSVILLE, Fla. -- Countless child welfare workers missed or ignored signs of abuse in the household where a Hernando County girl was nearly starved to death by her caregivers, according to a report from Department of Children & Families.

A panel created by DCF Secretary Jerry Regier found the protective investigators and case managers were responsible for allowing the abuse to escalate, according to the 25-report released Tuesday.

The panel recommended more training for caseworkers and more oversight by their supervisors. No one had been reprimanded and many of the caseworkers involved had already left the agency.

The 10-year-old girl weighed 29 pounds when she was removed in May from the home of Arthur Allain Jr. and his wife, Lori Allain. The Allains were arrested on aggravated child abuse and neglect charges but are free on $10,000 bail each.

"To say this is a case of tragic proportions is an understatement," wrote Judge Scott M. Bernstein of the 11th Judicial Circuit in Miami. "I sat in a room with over 20 DCF employees who handled portions of this case and not one of them ever checked this severely malnourished child's medical records."

An adoption counselor was the only worker to note concerns about appliances in the front yard, holes in the floor and walls, and garbage bags piled in the bathtub, the report said. Caseworkers didn't know that both of the Allains had criminal records. And despite noticing the children appeared tired and malnourished on four occasions, no one challenged the Allains' explanation or sought a medical consultation.

The abuse was investigated after her 14-year-old brother ran away and told authorities. Officials found the girl was also locked in a room with a bucket for a toilet.

Lori Allain maintains that the girl had an eating disorder.

"She was throwing up every day," Allain said. "I don't need a doctor to tell me she has an eating disorder." BITCH

The girls weight has doubled since she was removed from Allain's home, said Don Thomas, DCF's District 13 administrator.

Sorry to bring down the fun, but damnit, how the hell could they miss the signs?

Big surprise that once she was in a loving environment, her weight doubled. $10,000 bail and they are out???

Chris
Old 08-25-04, 02:57 PM   #2
jdodd
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I suspect "caregivers" may be the wrong word to apply to the foster parents.
Old 08-25-04, 03:29 PM   #3
AndyCapps
Moderator Emeritus

29 pounds?!?!? Holy shit, that's only 4 pounds more than what my 2 year old weighs.
Old 08-25-04, 03:33 PM   #4
Turd Ferguson
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They need to lock those "caregivers" in a cell and set up a barbeque grill just out of their reach and grill steaks and burgers, etc. every day and let the jailers eat in front of them. Just give them water and vitamins and let em' watch.
Old 08-25-04, 03:39 PM   #5
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously, the "caregivers" are most at fault, but what about the case workers paid to check on the kids.
Quote:
The panel recommended more training for caseworkers and more oversight by their supervisors. No one had been reprimanded and many of the caseworkers involved had already left the agency.
I say shoot them all as an example to others.
Old 08-25-04, 06:33 PM   #6
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
They need to lock those "caregivers" in a cell and set up a barbeque grill just out of their reach and grill steaks and burgers, etc. every day and let the jailers eat in front of them. Just give them water and vitamins and let em' watch.
Nice. (and don't forget to give them a bucket for a toilet)

And then the state should start hiring caseworkers who aren't friggin' blind.
Old 08-25-04, 06:43 PM   #7
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Why can't we start charging these people with a charge slightly under attempted murder? Child neglect/abuse just isnt strong enough.
Old 08-25-04, 06:51 PM   #8
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Why can't we start charging these people with a charge slightly under attempted murder? Child neglect/abuse just isnt strong enough.
Depends on the state. Here in AZ they are pretty harsh on child abuse cases.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-25-04, 09:47 PM   #9
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

I really don't think MORE TRAINING is going to help a fucking moron who let's a human being get to 29lbs. Please. I say shoot the dumbass and the entire genetic line associated.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-25-04, 09:53 PM   #10
Coral
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I really don't think MORE TRAINING is going to help a fucking moron who let's a human being get to 29lbs. Please. I say shoot the dumbass and the entire genetic line associated.
"The panel recommended more training for caseworkers..."
Old 08-25-04, 10:01 PM   #11
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think more training will help a caseworker who doesn't understand that a 29 lb, 10 year old child is a sign something is wrong in the foster home. Their job, what we pay taxes for, is to check on the kids.
Old 08-25-04, 10:26 PM   #12
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Coral,

I was referring to the caregivers and idiot caseworkers as well. I apologize for my vague bashing.

Old 08-25-04, 10:46 PM   #13
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

The state is just as to blame. I used to work for the State of Florida, and well you see what happens when you overburden people with work and dont pay them shit. Im not passing off what went on and the caseworkers should face criminal charges along with the caregivers, all Im saying is that the State has as much liability in this case.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 08-25-04, 11:16 PM   #14
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

damn government workers not giving a damn.
Old 08-25-04, 11:46 PM   #15
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

FantasticVSDoom,

I think you've pretty much nailed it. It seems in all industries and services, low-paying jobs ALWAYS produce inferior results.

Old 08-25-04, 11:50 PM   #16
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

arg! saw this on lj

**warning - disturbing pic/**

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...BonyPink10.jpg
Old 08-26-04, 12:01 AM   #17
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyCapps
29 pounds?!?!? Holy shit, that's only 4 pounds more than what my 2 year old weighs.
That's only 4 pounds more than my 8-MONTH OLD weighs, I shit you not.

He's in the 95 percentile for weight and the 103rd for height.

It's awful about the caseworkers, but the blame should rest first and foremost on the parents. Here's a quote from the great Keanu Reeves.

Quote:
Tod : You know, Mrs. Buchman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father
Old 08-26-04, 12:08 AM   #18
stp115
DVD Talk Special Edition

Akkk! That hurts my soul! That is just wrong on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally posted by D.Pham00
arg! saw this on lj

Old 08-26-04, 04:00 AM   #19
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
arg! saw this on lj

seriously how does someone live through that??!!
Old 08-26-04, 05:24 AM   #20
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Caption This: "Chopsticks & Sushi"

Old 08-26-04, 04:27 PM   #21
mrpayroll

Another parent of the year nominee!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/3682046/detail.html

Woman Pleads Not Guilty To Locking Son In Car Trunk
Cops: Woman Might Have Locked Boy In Trunk 10 Other Times

POSTED: 6:20 pm PDT August 25, 2004
UPDATED: 10:22 pm PDT August 25, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego mother accused of locking her son in the trunk of her car while she celebrated her birthday in a bar pleaded not guilty to child-abuse and false-imprisonment charges on Wednesday.

Sarah Powell, 27, remained behind bars on Wednesday night on a $150,000 jail bond. She faces a maximum of eight years in prison if she's convicted on all charges.

In other developments in the case, police told NBC 7/39 that Powell's boyfriend might have been involved in the incident.

"It was a really horrific thing," Jesse Egan of Winston's Beach Club told NBC 7/39. "Never seen anything like that before."

Police said that an anonymous call from Winston's in Ocean Beach tipped them off. When they arrived at around 1 a.m. on Sunday night, they found the 7-year-old boy in the trunk of a car.

"He was lying across the back of the trunk of the Volvo," said Lt. Vince Villalvazo of the San Diego police. "He was in a sleeping bag. There was a pillow back there in an attempt to make him comfortable while he was left in the Volvo."

Powell was arraigned Wednesday afternoon on four felony counts. She's accused of locking her son in the Volvo's trunk for at least four hours.

"The doorman said he saw him open the trunk and the kid come out," said Egan. "Everyone just gasped. It was really unbelievable."

Police told NBC 7/39 on Wednesday that they didn't think it was the first time the woman had locked the boy in the trunk, saying it may have happened on as many as 10 other occasions. Officials also believe that Powell's boyfriend, Jake Faria, 30, may have been involved and that they're trying to locate him.

"If there were any indications he may have been involved in some of this activity, we would need to interview him regarding what happened that night," said Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Dort. "Yesterday when I got the case and pulled the picture out of the little boy popping his head out of the trunk, it's -- as a father of two kids, it just amazed me someone could do that."

Witnesses at Winston's on Wednesday were still amazed by what they had seen.

"I was surprised because the dog had the front seat with the window open, but the kid was locked in the trunk " said Egan.

Police believe Faria may have either taken off in the motor home the couple lived in which they lived -- a 1977 model with the license plate 2ALH2655 -- or in the 1985 gray Volvo, which has license plate 4DCN889.

Powell's next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 2.

Hey, when you gotta celebrate your birthday, you gotta celebrate!

Chris
Old 08-26-04, 09:54 PM   #22
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

well, at least they gave him a pillow and a sleeping bag...
Old 08-31-04, 04:32 PM   #23
mrpayroll

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3695062/deta...008312004&ts=H

New Charges Surface In Case Of Boy Locked In Trunk
Mother's Boyfriend Accused Of New Abuses

POSTED: 9:37 am PDT August 31, 2004
UPDATED: 10:42 am PDT August 31, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- More disturbing allegations surfaced Monday night in the case of a boy locked in a car trunk, NBC News reported.

The boyfriend of the boy's mother has pleaded not guilty to a long list of charges. Jake Faria is charged with child cruelty and false imprisonment. Prosecutors said they added more charges because he drove around with the boy inside.

"There were three other felony counts for driving with the boy inside," said prosecutor Jeffery Dort. "There were two misdemeanor counts for smoking marijuana in the minor's presence, and also supplying alcohol to the minor."

Faria's girlfriend, Sara Powell, pleaded not guilty to similar charges last week.

Police said they believe she locked the boy in the trunk several times.

Chris
Old 08-31-04, 06:16 PM   #24
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, which one's the girl. I mean guy.

Old 09-01-04, 02:31 AM   #25
muggins
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
arg! saw this on lj